Growers Network was created as a resource for adults in the cannabis industry.

Please verify your age to enter.

100% Pure Landrace Thai Sativa Outdoor Grow

G’day,

My name’s Browny, thanks for letting me join the page. I’d like to share my current grow with the group if I could please.

This batch is growing outdoors in my old compost pile. The sun here provides 11 hours in the least and 13hrs at the most. I’m growing a pure landrace Thai sativa strain. I don’t check the water pH and all water comes from a nearby river. I’ve not given them any store bought nutrients (I make my own sometimes) and I’ve also not topped or trained any of the plants. This is because I didn’t think anything of them initially. I assumed they wouldn’t finish up flowering due to bad timing putting them in the ground (throwing a handful of stem and seeds into the compost bin) and not tending to them for the entire vegetative stage. Also knowing the usual weather patterns here and what was to come, like rain, 0°C-35°C temps with strong winds and long periods without sun in the approaching winter. I was also already 1 month into the slow change from 11hrs of darkness to 13hrs of darkness (so wasn’t sure if they would switch to flowering) and as of the 22nd of Dec, I’ve slowly been heading back in the other direction (more daylight) I’m getting around 11hrs 10min of daylight today.

Luckily though, the weather hasn’t been as harsh as last year and I’ve now gone through the worst of it…and as it turns out these are quite resilient plants. I started taking an interest in them 2 and a half months ago and I’m interested in seeing how these develop over the next few weeks and sharing some of the results. As of about a week ago, genetic foxtails are being produced all over the plants, which I think is quite interesting to see first hand.

These girls spent 8wks in veg stage and it’s now been 6.5wks since flowering begun/pulling the 2 males. One plants been ahead of the other 6 by about 2 weeks. I feel it’s still got a couple weeks to go and the others maybe about a month. It’s not back to 12/12 until 14 Mar so I feel they’ve got time to develop and finish right off…I really hope they do.

I don’t have many pictures but here’s the few that I have taken as they’ve slowly come along the last 4.5months. Currently I need to tie them up as they’re getting heavy and the wind is strong, plus we’ve had some rain and they were nearly on the ground with all the extra water weight.

Edit: Not sure how to add pictures at the moment, hopefully I can post some in the comments section. Cheers.

5 Likes

Flowering begins 1 Dec

8 Likes

2 weeks into flower

7 Likes

Close up 2 weeks

6 Likes

1 month into flower

7 Likes

1 month, frosty morning

5 Likes

5 weeks

6 Likes

5 weeks

6 Likes

6 weeks, foxtailing prominent

4 Likes

6 weeks

7 Likes

Now, 6.5wks, slowly catching up to the biggest girl

8 Likes

Hi @browny

Welcome to GN and thank you for sharing your grow with us. I remember when I grew a Thai from the Ko Chang islands, it stayed in vegetative state throughout the year, and only flowered the following winter. With regards to your light hours, as you are in southern hemisphere, your light hours should be decreasing, getting less than 8 hours during April through to August. Your flowers are looking good, happy harvest.

3 Likes

Hi Chris,
Yes they stay in veg forever, very hardy plant and can certainly keep it’s self from becoming extinct. Last year they went 5months in Veg before flowering but I wasn’t completely understanding of the weather in this location either and had planted too soon. I’m not in Aus at the moment, currently in Northern hemisphere. Cheers, I appreciate it, hopefully these will finish up nicely.

3 Likes

I am sure they will.

Welcome to the growers network. Your ladies look lovely. I bet your going to be very happy with your results. Looks great so far.

1 Like

Thanks slym3r, I appreciate it. I’m looking forward to the smoko when it’s done for sure. One of the only real effective ways of keeping my pain levels etc in check.

Anyway, I’m finding that there’s quite a few things stacked up against us growing outdoors, I’ve managed to get through a couple obstacles due to the plant being very tough. Hopefully if I run into any dramas I’ll have a place to ask now.

1 Like

I have all the bug info you need. How to safely remove them and still smoke. There are other outsiders here too. They will help immensely. Prob will be on more in the springish time. Some are on now just watching us.

3 Likes

:eyes::eyes::eyes:
:+1::v:

3 Likes

I had one plant outside last summer/fall…had whiteflies all over it. Literally when you shook it it looked like flying snow…for whatever reason they didn’t hurt the plant health wise. When I chopped her and hung her I did it outside under my deck, they weather had cooled down some, not cold by any means but cool at night. The next morning I went out and shook her…nothing all the whiteflies were gone. I think when the plant gets cut and starts the dying process, the bugs that can immediately abandon it.

@browny Those look fantastic, compost is wonderful stuff, if properly made you don’t need to add anything, I grow my food garden 100% organic with compost. I have some VERY fond memories of Thai Sticks from back in the 60’s and 70’s. Bud wrapped around a piece of bamboo. Haven’t seen any around for decades.

4 Likes

Thanks for commenting @sssportsmfg I also had some whiteflies but they all disappeared after I sprayed around the house with the mosquito fogger. They haven’t returned either but they didn’t appear to be affecting the plants but the flies were all over them.
Yeah I do find when I add the bacteria the missus makes for me that it sometimes causes problems in the gardens, I’ll just stick to water from now, as you say the compost should be fine on it’s own, it was only a pretty fresh pile so I wasn’t sure if it was finished cooking but it’s been great. As for watering, they aren’t picky at all, the compost/earth helps a lot, I can feed them daily or every 3-4 days and nothing changes (leaves don’t show any affects of over or under watering).
Everyday I need to remove new plant growth like cucumber, pumpkin, potato tomato etc that keeps popping up. The 60s and 70s before my time but more than likely those sticks were dipped in something extra too. Cheers.

2 Likes

G’day gents,

Could I please get some advice.

I’ve got a problem with whiteflies on the undersides of my leaves. Common signs of leaf spots on top and ants being attracted. Anyway they’ve only really been on my biggest girl and not causing dramas but now I think they’re stealing too much from my plants etc so I’d like to get rid of them if possible.

I only have normal household ingredients, does anyone know a solution/mix I can put together to kill these white flies? No access to anything besides usual stuff in the kitchen.

I’m considering cutting the big girl down today/tomorrow maybe…as even though she hasn’t fully filled out and besides the tops of all foxtails having white pistils, all the older growth pistils are all brown and many have retracted into the calyxes, making them swell up.

Another question comes to mind if I’m going to cut her and that’s about rinsing the buds? I’ve only washed one other batch due to a heap of mud splashing over the plants in their last few days. What would you suggest, again I only have basic household ingredients.

Cheers, I appreciate any help lads and I’ll put a pic up this afternoon once the suns not so harsh.

3 Likes