2nd Grow for a Newbie

I’ll do that. I’ll catch the grow just as the lights go out and take some good pics. I am slack at photography. I’ll work on getting a bunch together tomorrow.

3 Likes

It’s been 13 days since your last update. You should drop pictures every once in a while even if you don’t say anything. This way if you do have a problem and you don’t see it someone here might.:+1:t3:

3 Likes

Yep and old threads get burried. And after a while archived.

Sorry guys, I was in the Hosp for a few days and could not get done what I had promised. However I’m back with pics.

2 Likes

Here are the girls at the end of Week 16, first week of the 2nd half of flower. I hope these are good enough for you to see any issues that may be developing or any suggestions.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear you were in the hospital. You’re posting photos you must be feeling better that’s good. Your plants look fine also. What was the date that you switched your lights to 12/12?

2 Likes

I adjusted lights to 12/12 on 12/7/21. Also dropped my temps and humidity to levels that are recommended for the first half of flower. On Tuesday this week i adjusted temp and humidity to levels recommended for 2nd half of flower. As you can see they are looking a little frosty. I think this one will be much better than my first grow. I have a little more knowledge and a little more things to help with my curing and drying for this grow. And of course I have all the great feedback i get here. Thank you and @preybird for the input.

2 Likes

This is what I ended up with on my first grow. LOTS OF POPCORN! Well it’s still good to have when watching a good show. So From that grow I gained a lot of insight and useful information and tricks from researching what I did wrong with that attempt. I have a better handle on it now I think.

6 Likes

Just looking quickly at that picture I’d say if you defoliated the lower part of the plan a little bit more and remove them small bud sites and the upper part of your plant probably would’ve had a bigger denser flowers. Then again just a guest from one picture. :+1:t3:

3 Likes

I completely agree with you. I just jumped in with both feet with my first grow. Not knowing much more than elementary basic information I grew my first set of plants. I figured if I could just get them to grow I would go from there. I cant tell you how many attempts in the past have only produced little spindly plants that quickly gave up the ghost. So I have to completely agree with your observation. And thank you. That just shows that I did learn something from my first grow. My girls are naked for this one. I like my girls naked, makes it easier to see what is going on with them.

3 Likes

Well, here are the girls with only 3 weeks left to go approximately and they are looking nice to me. They are filling in nicely and looking frosty.

6 Likes

Try to turn your flash on when you take pictures of them. It will alleviate a lot of lighting problems caused by grow lights when taking photos.

1 Like

Hopefully by the time the next grow starts I will have a camera instead of my phone to take pictures and will be able to produce better pics of the grow as it progresses. In the meantime.
Today starts the last two weeks (depending on trichomes). I will be flushing the girls today to bring down PPM to 50 and will be removing the nutrients and only giving water the final two weeks. Plants have not changed so I have no pics to provide that show any significant changes. Plants are still at 44 inches tall and 40 inches in girth. The buds are filling in nicely and will be bigger than my first “popcorn” outcome. Thank you for your input @happilyretired and @PreyBird1 as well as others who have provided feedback, it is much appreciated and accepted. I try to take to heart and put into practice anything I feel will help me in providing good outcomes.

1 Like

There’s really no reason to flush your plants down to 50 ppm two weeks before harvest. I think you’re robbing yourself. Give them water only for the next week. Just when you water water till you have a cup or so of runoff. Then if your ppm is still hi by the end of the week if you feel the need to wash the rest out do it then. Let them eat what’s in the root ball for the next week. You’ll be surprised how fast they deplete it. Just a suggestion. :+1:t3::v:t3:

I don’t personally do a “flush”… I feed all the way up to two or three days before harvest and then go water only for the last couple of days. Works great. When I first started growing I thought you need to flush them too cause that’s what everybody talked about. The latest research seems to be showing it’s a waste of time. So basically what it comes down to personal preference.

Whatever lights you’re wick… as it were. :grin::+1:t3:

5 Likes

Concur with hap on the flushing ! Put your plants in total darkness for 24-48 hrs before you cut them and you can achieve the same results without the flush.

4 Likes

Well, you see, that’s why I ask for feedback, If you don’t know, and you ask for feedback, someone will set you straight with the right answer. Although I did start the flush at two weeks out for this grow, the next grow I will give the recommendations from both @happilyretired and @TheMadFlascher. It’s a learning curve for me and I’m soaking up as much from information provided and i appreciate it. I bought a camera and gave it a try, still learning the camera now but I did manage to get some good pictures, better than what I was getting. Anyway, this is the end of week 19, next week I will be monitoring the trichomes every day, Currently, i have been checking the trichomes about every two days. What i have seen is that the trichomes are a combination of clear and mostly milky, with an occasional amber one here and there, but not a lot at all. If I had to put a percentage on it, maybe 1% . Milky trichomes about 50%, At the end of next week will be 70 days, at 68 i have it schedule to go to the 48 hrs of dark. I am excited that these are turning out to look so much better than my first grow. Again, if you see something or have a suggestion please feel free to comment. Again, thanks for the feedback.

7 Likes

You asked for it. Do not look at your tri-combs every day. You’ll go nuts. Don’t set a date on when to chop. That is not your decision that is the plants. If you really want to know where your plant is at as far as trichomes when you’re absolutely certain that it’s time to chop cut a small bud off of one of your branches halfway down. Break it in half and look at the tri-combs on the inside. They should be all milky. If you’re wanting Amber you can look on the outside of the flower and see all kinds of Amber on the sugar leaves and absolutely none inside the bud. So when you dry it and trim it you cut off all of your Amber. This is just my approach something for you to think about. I’ve already over analyze the shit out of it, it’s consistent. Just a thought for you.

3 Likes

Thank you @happilyretired, Yes I asked for it. I always look for the person with more experience than I have and try to glean everything i can. Thank you for that information. I WILL be trying this approach. I have read so much and I don’t think i have found two alike. And those are mostly from searches on the internet. I have one person here that has grown for years in Washington state. But his approach it not of what I have read. I have taken some knowledge from him but not a lot. But I have tried everything he provided. I enjoy learning new things. Its how I get to the point I can pass on what I have learned.

4 Likes

I just take a little piece of something that someone says more than I read and explore it.

I think it was a comment I read somewhere that said, what you see on the outside of a flower doesn’t tell you anything about what’s going on inside. So I started looking inside and it opened my :eye:’s…:wink::+1:t3:

3 Likes

Checked the trichomes today and I see 20% amber and 80% Milky. So today I’m thinking of harvesting later on today unless I get some feedback that says otherwise. I’ll wait, If I dont hear anything, Harvest. Feedback with other recommendations, I will take recommendations with consideration. Thanks in advance

2 Likes