Ack! Scared of failure, but here goes my first journal - old subject line LOL

Ahh sorry was busy trimming.

like @cosmo said better to have it covered if you can. Frost can kill.
Light freeze - 29° to 32° Fahrenheit will kill tender plants . Moderate freeze - 25° to 28° Fahrenheit is widely destructive to most vegetation. Severe or hard freeze - 25° Fahrenheit and colder causes heavy damage to most plants.
Frost Advisory - This is when the temperature is expected to fall to 36 degrees to 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
Garden City Harvest

HomeAbout Programs Dig In BlogContact

DONATE

BackMission & HistoryAnnual ReportsEmploymentBoardStaffNews

BackFarm to SchoolNeighborhood FarmsCommunity GardensYouth DevelopmentCSA Farm SharesSummer CampsCommunity Barn Rental

BackDonateEventsGet InvolvedVolunteer

Four Strategies to Protect Your Plants from Frost

IMG-6976.JPG

Eek!! The weather report predicts frost and overnight lows near or below freezing! What to do?!?

Don’t worry, keep in mind that a frost is different than a freeze, and there are several easy strategies you can do to help protect your plants from frosty temperatures. And in the fall, some crops, like carrots, parsnips, and beets, only become sweeter in flavor after a frost.

Know Your Frost Dates

First things first! Always keep in mind your local average frost dates - first frost and last frost.

In the fall as temperatures start to cool, the first day of the year that a frost occurs is considered the first frost date. As the temperatures continue to cool, usually about a week or two later, the first freeze date of the year will occur (this is what kills most annual plants). Missoula’s first frost date is September 22nd, and the first freeze day is mid October.

In the spring, as temperatures begin to warm back up, the last day of the year we can expect a frost is the average last frost date. Missoula’s last frost date is May 18th.

These dates are based on historical weather data collected over a 30 year period, so they are usually accurate but by no means exact. Be diligent, check the weather report regularly or set up a weather app alert to keep an eye on the overnight lows. When temperatures are expected to dip near or below freezing, utilize these four strategies below to temporarily protect your plants.

Assess: How Bad Is It?

It’s not just the temperature but the length of time that temperatures are at or below freezing that damages plants. Just as a lower temperature is harder on a plant than a temperature at or near freezing, very cold temperatures that last several hours is much harder on a plant than an hour or less of freezing temps. Keep this in mind along with several key definitions listed below when evaluating the severity of the weather report.

Frost Advisory - This is when the temperature is expected to fall to 36 degrees to 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

Freeze Warning - This is issued when there is at least an 80% chance that the temperature will hit 32 degrees Fahrenheit or lower.

Light freeze - 29° to 32° Fahrenheit will kill tender plants.

Moderate freeze - 25° to 28° Fahrenheit is widely destructive to most vegetation.

Severe or hard freeze - 25° Fahrenheit and colder causes heavy damage to most plants.

Assess & Prioritize

Do you know which plants in your garden are considered “hardy” and can handle a light frost or considered “tender” and will be injured or die by freezing temperatures? Check out this handy growing guide from Montana State University Extension that lists common garden veggies and their frost tolerance.

Hardy vegetables will do just fine without any extra protection from the frost. But, take a good look at your tender crops and prioritize what to protect based on what has a good harvest that could ripen in the next couple weeks. Prioritize your time, energy and money on the plants and anticipated harvests that are most valuable to you. Is it worth covering your bitter lettuce? Probably not. Do your tomato plants have a lot of fruit that can still ripen in the next month? Yes? Great, let’s take action.

How to Take Action

1. Water – Water acts as an insulator. Plant cells that are plump with water will be stronger against cold damage. Likewise, moist soil will tend to stay warmer than dry soil, so a good soaking right before freezing temperatures can help protect plants.

2. Cover - The soil also acts as a great insulator and thermal regulator (which is one reason why root vegetables nestled in the soil can handle a couple frosts). Cover tender plants with commercial frost cloths or row cover (found at most garden and hardware stores). Old bed sheets, burlap, tarps, or even plastic buckets placed over baby plants in early spring can protect plants from frost. Make sure to stake the material down so wind doesn’t blow it off and that the cover goes all the way to the ground in order to maximize insulation and keep the heat from the soil close to the plants.

Be careful! If you do use a plastic sheet, keep it from touching any foliage or fruit. The cold will transfer through the plastic and burn the plant. For small plants, you can cover them with an inverted bucket or flower pot. Remember to remove the cover when temperatures rise during the day.

8 Likes

Here’s what I got so far

15 Likes

Hey Squidy, I only chopped mine now, too, because of the bud rot. It was close enough to being time. Especially for the Hash God. I didn’t realized I was in week 7 of flower, so it’s close enough. I just could not let the potential rot get worse. I’m done with three plants, man that was a lot of work and my last two are monsters. Huge. Hope to do one of them tomorrow and then I have to wait until Thursday or Friday to do the other.Good thing to wait as their trichs weren’t as ready as the Hash God trichs were.

I’m questioning myself about the bud rot. Sorta. But I’ve seen pics here of verified bud rot that some of mine looked just like. But while trimming, I came across questionable buds, very few are truly bud rot, but some sure look like it but I don’t think it is. Kinda hard to tell what’s amber in the bud and amber in the rot LOL. But the burned leaves look on the very few are telling me bud rot. I could see how bud rot can also look like sun burn. Hmmm …

I really, really want to dry trim, but after reading that wet trim is better for my weather environment (cold, dark, dreary), I went with that so far. Don’t want to invite mold or anything, but sure am interested in the difference. Maybe I’ll dry trim one of the most healthy colas to see.

6 Likes

Oh my! Beautiful and what a collection you have there!!

5 Likes

I love this answer! This would be cool if it’s true about the resin! :slight_smile: Thank you!

Thanks, @cosmo - really appreciate the reply.

thanks @PreyBird1 - it is a frost advisory and I see the coldest temp at 35 in the middle of the night. I’m gonna risk one night. I almost have no other choice. Beautiful harvest!! You’ve been busy!!

6 Likes

It should drop to 36 from about 11:45p to 5a and then it gets ‘warmer’ and sunny. I did water today and the original grow bag it’s in is also insulated inside another larger grow bag that has some soil and mulch in it. Also there is a tarp above and it’s right next to the house. I’m too lazy to go out and pull the hose around so I’m gonna chance it. Plus it’s dark and scary out there. LOL …

What I do need to do is run out and put a blanket over the tomatos that I hung by their stalks to ripen all in one spot right outside the back door. I would be very sad to lose the last of my maters.

Thank you so very much!

Your reply is worth a lot!

4 Likes

Today I chopped my third plant out of five. My second White Runtz x SkyWalker OG. I am SO tired. I did in in two parts and forgot to weight the first part before bud washing. I did weigh it before wet trimming just to see, so I can estimate the end result, but my brain is mush and I’ll have to do it tomorrow. I do think I got near a pound of wet trimmed bud in the end. I’ll follow through later.

Now onto my first Sky God that is in the dark in the pantry - tomorrow … I’m gonna get the boyfriend to help with it. Today, I was on my own.

Everything hurts. I really enjoy trimming, but three large plants in three days was just too much. I’m going to learn how to stagger from here on. I truly know what trim hell or trim jail means now.

9 Likes

Lol i spent a weekend up in oregon up at a farm trimming. And it was about 3lbs into trimming and i was done! I hate to trim buds sometimes. I trime like every 2 weeks! Now i got everything cut down. So ill get a break for a month. Slowing down the grow. A little. Trying to move and sell my house.

10 Likes

I didn’t see this until this morning, but everything I would have suggested already has been suggested. Except smudge pots and wind machines! Lol! But they are probably illegal now a days!

8 Likes

@nacho151
Sounds like you lived around grape vineyards back in the day.

6 Likes

Growing up farming in the Central Valley of Cali in the 60’s and 70’s! Lol!

7 Likes

Hee hee…you sure do! Only difference is with trim jail you can atleast stay stoned while you work. Other then that… It’s like being locked in a cell with nothing but despair and bad thoughts. Ughhh :pleading_face:

8 Likes

I think my first trim from Saturday is done drying. Seems sorta quick. But then I googled and saw that a wet trim can dry in 2-5 days. When I bend the stems, I ‘feel’ a crack but I don’t hear one and they don’t break. So, I’m thinking it’s time to put in jars???!!! It was Hash God.

8 Likes

I don’t think waiting for a snap is the best description… giving the buds a lil squeeze you can tell/feel what’s up. I personally try to get them right before the proverbial snap… and don’t you for one second think that many in here haven’t had the occasional 2 day cure… LoL :joy: it happens. Definitely isn’t the way you WANT to do it but if it’s done …it’s done. This is usually when you gotta add some apple peels, or whatever your poison. If you have some other trees still flowering toss a bud of that in with it, something to this nature… you dig!!

7 Likes

Yeah! I dig! LOL … I came back here to say I was being premature. I also tested a few other things and it’s not ready. Besides the stem ‘snap’ or whatever, there is also seeing if the smallest bud will come right off without stringing. Nope. I know there are much more sophisticated ways to tell but I’m too busy being in trim jail to do any research … chopping Sky God #1 today and I’ll be doing this girl til midnite. She is huge. HUGE, I tell you!!

The room they are drying in is about 66 degrees with 47 percent rH. I can’t remember. I was just up there. Sigh.

Well, I’m relieved, I was worried that if they were dry, it was too fast and it would have ruined my terps or whatever.

Back to trim hell … thanks, Loco!!

7 Likes

@happilyretired recommended a Wood Moisture Meter to me to check if buds are ready. Pretty cheap on Amazon!

7 Likes

Yep works real good very consistent :+1:t3:

8 Likes

Ran to Amazon to get one and the earliest it will arrive is 10/22. So much for Amazon Prime, eh? Sheesh. I’ll try to look around locally tomorrow. Shopping locally at a real building. What a quaint idea.

Thank you, @nacho151 and @happilyretired … I will get one, I’m just not sure I will have one for this grow.

I do have a soil moisture reader as well as two kinds of rH meters. I may do a test on one of each drying strain, put a small one is a jar with one of them hygrometers. I read that somebody tested that way. I may do that tonight with my smallest stems with a bud, just to see how it reads.

But until then, back to chop chop trim trim and then bud wash and hang. Then a nice hot shower and cbd for pain.

6 Likes

OMG! 13 and 26, dude you were so close! I’ve been waiting to run into that guy again who was doing math (money) by 28s in his head better than anyone else in the room. He clearly had ounces to grams experience somewhere. Maybe I’m just projecting. Ha haha!

I don’t know what makes me happier… seeing your first harvest, or just SEEING LOTS OF PICTURES OF YOUR PLANTS! :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

I got halfway through these pictures and I had to scroll back to the top to see whose post this was.

And can everyone acknowledge how cute these little buds are?!?

and trimming those little buds is the best education you can get on what to remove when you defoliate next time.

I can only do that if I plan and prep everything the night before, chop/trim/wash/hang the next night, and then clean up the following night. If I deliberately plan it that way I don’t burn myself out because I have to get everything done in one night! :crazy_face:

uh-oh. I hope so.

It certainly dipped into freezing last night here on the east side. I had frost on my windshield this morning! The kind you have to scrape twice. Crap. That sealed the deal to bring my last plant in tonight.

omg! those are some pretty buds!

And pardon my ignorance for not knowing anything about your grow, but holycrap it looks like you just had a great harvest!

Everything about this post is epic. I think everyone here has been in that kind of harvest fugue state one or two times. Oh, I feel that pain. lol

i really hate that part of

those look cool.

And I would say it was a tazer and chase the kids around the house with it! lol!

Pop in Pet Sounds, fire one up, and get back in the trim zone!

10 Likes

I’m too whupped to reply well. I just finished and am having some wine. I will say that it was FABULOUS to hear from you, my friend. You’ve been missed. I’ll come back to reply to some stuff another day.

I will tell ya, about those tiny buds? By my 2nd or 3rd chop, those all went into the larf pile. YES, I KEPT MY LARF … I’m a newbie, it’s what we do. I have plans for said larf. Plus, I love that word. LARF. Larf. LARF. Yeah, I’m a bit wiggie about now. Later! :seedling: :grimacing: :green_heart: :wine_glass:

9 Likes