Advice for someone getting started

Hello there everyone!

My name is Miles.
I am a 21-year-old from the state of Wisconsin.
I love to travel, go camping, backpacking and garden. I love the outdoors and have a green thumb.

I am currently pursuing Environmental Policy & Management but am in the process of switching to major in Horticulture. I would much rather be more hands on, working directly with garden cultivation and the production of plants.

A dream of mine would be to get into the Cannabis Production Industry, I would love nothing more than to work in a greenhouse or for a company that grows marijuana. I have a rather basic, entry level knowledge of growing marijuana and have only grown it once while I was living in Washington State.
My first issue is that it is illegal in the state of Wisconsin, so all real job opportunities are located out of state. Second is getting connected to employers who would be willing to hire someone with entry level knowledge.
If I became connected to someone who was willing, I would be completely open and willing to relocate myself.

I am posting here because I am new to this site and am still learning how it all works.
I would love nothing more than to get advice on how to get my foot in the door of this industry.

Thank you for your time!
-Miles

2 Likes

I am a huge advocate for using cannabis friendly temp agencies. I only know of the one in my area, but I know more exist, and some are here too.

In my experience, the best temp workers I had in spring were snatched up by businesses by fall harvest. I think it is good way to work at a few places and get noticed. If I needed new permanent employees, I’d want to trial them via an agency. It is but one avenue, but I have seen good people get hired quickly in a state with a saturated work force.

4 Likes

Thanks @Farmer_Dan for that sage-like advice. @ItsMilesMinter, we wish you well in your search. Check out @FlowerHire. They do a lot of cannabis staffing.

Do you have any botany/ gardening experience? Cannabis is a plant and many producers know how they want to grow already, they just need people with botanical know-how to do as they instruct.

In fact, due to the huge array of opinions surrounding all things to do with growing Cannabis, experience in that field may not be an asset if the employee can’t follow someone else’s plan.

4 Likes

This is true @Dianna.Donnelly. I know when I staff a facility, I look most closely at applicants that possess a basic understanding of general plant biology, a fundamental grasp of chemistry and an overwhelming zest for knowledge and a healthy dose of passion for the plant. Patience is a virtue.

I do NOT prefer to hire so-called “master” growers. I find these individuals are often hard-set in their ways and some bad habits are hard to break.

Great point!

3 Likes

I think you bring up a good point here @Dianna.Donnelly. As somebody who has been in many leadership roles in the past and a future LP owner, my advice is this - you have two ears and one mouth for a reason.

You will never walk into two farms that are the same, and no two cultivars or crops are going to grow in the same pattern. So having the ability to adapt, learn, react, learn, work hard and learn are what I will be looking for in my staff. Have no experience? A temp agency is a great place to start like @Farmer_Dan said. That will get your hands on the flowers and into a variety of facilities. Rather something more stable? Then what are your transferable skills? Amplify the hell outta those on your resume and use a well written cover letter to lay out just exactly how that company is going to benefit from you working there. Be definative but not cocky.

Best of luck friend!

4 Likes

My advice go to a school that specializes in cannabis. It will put you way ahead of the game. The best college that actually has a degree program specifically tailored for cannabis is Northern Michigan University. which pretty much borders Wisconsin. I wish they had a program like that when I was going to college. The major is called Medicinal Plant chemistry I believe. But it is specifically tailored for the cannabis industry

3 Likes

Great advice @sali78619!

2 Likes

Agreed. If you want to be hands on with the growing side, preference will be given to people with an education for sure.
I want my Master Grower to have a Bachelors or higher and their assistants will need to have some form of post secondary education related to plants in some way or another. If I have a stack of resumes 3ft tall, why should you be at the top?
Other farms might have lesser strict requirements but still, education is going to go a long ways in this industry.

2 Likes

I wish you luck! Before I got into the position I’m in now - offering staffing support for cannabis promotions, trade shows and other events - I traveled for a few years and during that time I trimmed. My friend and I got our jobs by luck and through networking. I think if you have the desire, a natural way with plants and the willingness to get your license or whatever the state requires (I think it’s like you pay $100 online and take a test, etc - nothing major) then you’ll be in a great position to find someone willing to hire you. I admire you putting yourself out there, getting networked, and wish I could help you with more specifics but I don’t have any more contacts at this time. I wish you well! Keep us informed of your adventures :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@rebecca’s path is definitely one way forward–to get a foot in the door by taking a trimming job. Many of these jobs are taken on a first come first served basis. There are parts of California that people will simply travel to during harvest season and sit out on the street with a sign “Looking for trimming work.” A lot of people get started in the industry that way. Of course you could also take an oblique path and gain experience growing other types of plants. Or you could get an advanced degree in a relevant field. Many paths to Rome.

2 Likes

@Farmer_Dan
What do you exactly mean by temp agencies?

2 Likes

Just a normal temp agency, but they have decided to take the risk of taking cannabis money.

This is who I use, they don’t advertise the cannabis component.

2 Likes

@sali78619 I have looked into this school!! It’s definitely a possibility floating around in my head.
You have reminded me that this is also an option

2 Likes