Growers Network was created as a resource for adults in the cannabis industry.

Please verify your age to enter.

🍃 AMA With Alan CEO of Strainly Weds June 5th 11AM PST

Start asking Questions NOW You will not want to miss this AMA.

In light of recent “breeding programs” drama and how it affects the integrity of the whole cannabis genetics strain industry we bring you this AMA . We will hear the perspective of an industry veteran @Strainly in the field and what his take is on the proper road forward to strengthen integrity and trust in the industry.

• Who: Alan CEO of Strainly.io
  • What: Maintaining Integrity with Genetics and Cannabis Intellectual Property
  • Where: Right here - Growers Network Forum (Start Asking Questions Now)
  • When : TODAY Wednesday, June 5th at 11 AM PST

Strainly is a peer-to-peer cannabis strains exchange web app with a review mechanism. It allows legal cannabis growers and breeders (medical or recreational purpose) to trade marijuana seeds, clones or pollen and have easier access to a variety of cannabis strains to grow and breed. Whether looking for Indicas, Sativas, Hybrids or even Ruderalis, users can browse, filter and find their cultivars while benefiting from a rating/reviews mechanism, fostering trust among the community.

Thousands of members have been using Strainly for over a year, hunting, trading and providing hundreds of strains (currently over 600 listed) under the form of seeds, clones and pollen!

Why you should join?

1. Registration is free and will always be.
  2. From Landrace to the most hybridized strains, it’s one of the best site to check out when looking for hard to find cultivars.
  3. You connect directly with the breeders (no middle man), from the “underground” ones to some of the most famous American and European breeders!
  4. It’s the only platform where you can hunt (clones, seeds or pollen), and offer your creations and collectibles .
  5. If you can’t find what you’re after, you can post a “Hunting” listing , letting know the community about your quest.
  6. There’s a powerful search function, allowing you to search by terpene, cannabinoid combination and many more criteria.
  7. It’s safer than most platform! You can leave reviews to other members and ask for our support when needed.
  8. We respect your privacy.
  9. There are great value options.
  10. It keeps the genetics in the hands of the community and fosters biodiversity.
  11. Check out [https://youtu.be/qQ-DLq-_Kyc ](http://a short video) to get an idea of what we do and why we do it!

Connect with members. Share great strains. Preserve genetics.

Enjoy

11 Likes

@memberdirectory Start asking your questions now for this AMA and have fun.

Thanks

Keith

8 Likes

Looking forward to it folks! Chat soon!

6 Likes

Hi there. I love Strainly. It’s one of my most favorite canna web concepts… Strainly profoundly democratizes pot growing.
You have such a strong commitment to maintaining chemovars - from making seed sharing available to everyone, to generating Creative Commons type platforms to protect the ingenuity of breeders as well as the genetics themselves (to name just a few)… They seem to be born of strong beliefs. Can you talk a little about what your vision is for the future of cannabis genetics?

10 Likes

can you explain Strainly’s vision with respect to helping get breeders moving down the path of legal protection like patents, etc? The Strainly platform is a great concept for licensing and creating pools within which people can trade and share and co-develop. How does that then cross over to true legal protections like patents, so that there can be true national and international protection and enforcement. How does Strainly plug breeders into that aspect?

9 Likes

This is going to be awesome! Thanks for taking time to be here with us today, @Strainly!

We are looking forward to another enlightening AMA!

7 Likes

Hi @Herbert_Ashe

Thanks for your support.

It is now probable that some companies will apply for and obtain exclusive rights (under the form of PVPs or PBRs) over some cultivars. It seems the characteristics used to issue such “patents” are based on the chemotypic profile. This is dangerous, since the chemotypic profile of a cannabis plant depends in significant part on the growing environment.

There may be a risk for growers to infringe PVPs or PBRs while growing a different varietal than the one that is protected.

We believe in a future where a safe haven formalized by an open source license, would cover cultivars issued under such a license. Any open source varietal would be documented (phenotype, chemotype) and would not be eligible to and exclusive rights of any sort (PVP, PBR…)

Such a pool of open source genetics is important to allow small cultivators to grow plants that will differentiate them in an ever competitive market

6 Likes

Hey Alan @Strainly, thanks for hosting this AMA today! :slightly_smiling_face:

How did the cannabis industry find you? What made you get into the genetics side of things?

Thanks again!

~ :green_heart: Kareenabis~

6 Likes

Oh, and as a grower I have to ask ::
Do you grow?
Do you prefer any types, flavors, etc ?

7 Likes

There have been a lot of recent developments in our industry that have shaken our already tenuous trust as growers. How does Strainly work to establish and preserve trust in its consumers and breeders?

6 Likes

Thanks @reggie
As explained in various blog articles on our blog (blog.strainly.io), “patents” are a big business game that small breeders and growers can’t play. They lack the resources to obtain such protection, but more importantly to enforce their rights later on.

Strainly intents to address one aspect of the problem = access to genetics and preservation through collaboration.

As a complementary mechanism, it is important, as you pointed, to establish a legal framework to protect the genetic pool. This is where open source licensing comes into play.

The least formal approach is the OSSI pledge. I recently spoke with Jack Kloppenburg from OSSI and he confirmed that they are now accepting hemp genetics (not cannabis yet). So breeders with varietals producing less than 0.3% THC can submit them to OSSI and protect them under their pledge (not a license). According to Jack, the pledge has legal value and can be enforced in court. Breeders should provide lab test results of the chemotypic profile with their application.

The other more formal route is the Opensourceseeds.org license. It is from Germany, meaning that breeders who would want to enforce their license would have to rely on OpenSourceSeeds Organization to enforce it in a german court (specifically in Berlin).

Cannabis has been legalized in Germany, for medical use. I encourage all breeders to submit their genetics using this form. It will be interesting to see whether cannabis genetics can be licensed under this one.

Finally, we have been looking for an independent nonprofit to issue an open source breeding license that could be used by cannabis breeders. Still waiting for answers…

7 Likes

Used to grow outdoors and indoors years ago and fell in love with the plant.

I became aware of Big Ag practices regarding intellectual property on corn, tomatoes and a whole lot of other crops, and their consequences on farmers 10 years ago. I couldn’t get over it…

When Canada announced cannabis would be legalized, I immediately thought that the same situation would happen to cannabis varietals. Ultimately, this industry has the potential to become an ugly one, at the cross-road of Big Pharma, Big Ag and Big Tobacco.

I don’t want that. I believe in a balanced industry where small farmers, growing responsibly, thrive. I think we have the cultural background to do things differently. It starts with a collaborative landscape for genetic preservation.

7 Likes

can you specifically explain what you mean by ““patents” are a big business game that small breeders and growers can’t play. They lack the resources to obtain such protection, but more importantly to enforce their rights later on.”

filing costs for provisional applications are low. Granted getting a patent written by a law firm can cost as much as $5,000-$10,000, but that typically depends on the length, number of embodiments and complexity of the invention. Plant patents, while less protection, are far less to file.

Further, given what a single plant may produce in one go, 2-5 pounds and possibly more, the cost of domestic filing is really relatively inexpensive in the grand scheme of things. International filing becomes more expensive, but that isn’t always necessary and depends on the overall business goals.

So, resources aren’t the real issue for patents. Not to say that people shouldn’t pursue both, the licensing aspect that has a much more direct impact on immediately business needs, and is much cheaper to pursue, so the Strainly model is very attractive. But, saying patents is something that people can’t afford isn’t entirely accurate.

8 Likes

Used to grow illegally a while ago. Took risks but enjoyed the experience.
Had to stop due to moving to a new country, having other priorities to deal with, etc. Plus, quality buds was affordable and easily available to your door in my new place…

I used to love Super Skunk to be honest. 4euros/gram, great taste, never went wrong. I also used to love SSH, NL5 when going to Amsterdam… and Manali Cream.
I have great memories of SensiSeed’s Ruderalis Indica that I grew outdoor in a cold climate… Taste was sweet, high was just fine for me. Was putting me mellow.
Indoor, I grew Lemon Haze and Northern Lights.

As I got older, I’m looking for lower THC concentration, which are not easy to find where I live.

I’m usually careful with using strain names because on the black market, it’s always hard to be sure of what you get. Not always better in the legal market…

8 Likes

International filing will become a requirement as more countries legalize and big corporations operate across borders. So if you go the patent route, it’s all or nothing IMHO. Same for trademarking (look at Sugar Bud Craft Cannabis in Alberta, using the name of the company from Oregon, because they had trademarked only in the US).

You are focusing on applying for an obtaining the patent. The real cost lies in enforcing it. Once you have your patented cultivar, you have to spend resources in monitoring the market to ensure no one is infringing it. When that happens, you HAVE TO enforce it. One case can costs tens of thousands of dollars. But you may have various cases.

Big Ag, uses fear as much as enforcement to protect their cultivars. But who’s going to fear a small breeder or family-owned farm?
Small breeders and growers may go bankrupt just trying to enforce their “patents” IMO.

Also, consumers are strain-aware, they want novelty all the time. Patenting implies harvesting/milking the strain for as long as possible. In the cannabis world, it is probably irrelevant… Your patented strain becomes out of hype after a year and you have barely recovered your patenting costs when new strains come into the market.

Does it make any sense to patent cannabis in the first place…?

6 Likes

so under your licensing program, how would you enforce something if someone outside the pool got a hold of it and was growing it or distributing it without being a license holder?

4 Likes

and i agree, that marginal strains shouldn’t be patented, but strains that are truely outstanding like the OG Kush’s and strains we still grow a decade later, are worth the effort and cost.

By your own criteria those HAVE stood the test of time and would clearly have recouped their costs. SO, i agree not EVERYTHING is worth patenting, just like inthe real world

3 Likes

This is going to sound basic but, the good ol’ rating system that you find on eBay and other platforms creates a sense of trust. We plan on adding a new layer of rating very soon to reinforce it.

Also, we’d like to (and have approached what we think is a trustworthy entity) established a partnership to foster and facilitate access to lab testing. So when members post their varietals on Strainly, they should ideally post the lab test results to show the chemotypic profile of the varietal. This is increasing transparency.

We are also adding social features to our roadmap, so that members can see how others are growing the plant, what supplies they’re using etc.

Eventually, it will be important to connect the growers to the consumers. A healthy relationship with the product is not one that starts in the bag or in the jar, but one that is connected to the terroir. You don’t drink a fine wine or liquor like you drink a Bud Light… Mass-produced cannabis is Bud Light, but there’s a market for craft quality cannabis and the consumers of these higher quality products probably want to connect with the producer.

Generally, people increasingly want to know what they’re eating. They want local, responsibly grown produce. A portion of cannabis consumers will do as well IMHO

6 Likes

I was talking about Strainly with a friend who has a small seed shop. When I told him that y’all included pollen in your exchange, he was really blown away (as well, I know you also have an exchange for tissue culture). It was an idea so obvious to him, yet he’d never thought of it. He became a fan of Strainly.
Can you speak of something that occurred from people using Strainly that put a smile on your face, that made you feel like your vision for Strainly had truly succeeded?

6 Likes

Makes sense. Agree with your point about OG Kush. But it’s a bet. There’s a subjective aspect to it too. So it’s hard to predict what is worth patenting and what is not.
OG Kush is in the public domain and no longer eligible (for everyone’s benefit on this thread).
That said, many nice varietals were bred from OG Kush, imagine if it had been patented… We may be missing on a lot of great strains…

For clarity, we don’t offer any licensing program at the moment. I believe it should be handled by an independent nonprofit so we haven’t engaged into this.
The way it works for the open source license out of Germany, is that the nonprofit enforces the license on your behalf when necessary. In all fairness, it is still hard to spot infringers… BUT it makes it a lot more difficult for the USPTO to issue a patent on something derived from a varietal under this license. This is what matters most.

The open source license allows you to grow and breed the varietal. It prevents you from patenting a progeny of such varietal. It is important for nonprofits issuing open source pledges or license to make themselves visible to the bodies issuing patents. That’s how the safe haven is created.

6 Likes