AMA with Austin Flohrschutz of TruPotency Monday, November 18th 11AM Pacific

Have you come across any research regarding the method of CBD application relating to effectiveness? For example, does a topical perform better than a tincture or gummy for acute pain?

6 Likes

Growers Network would like to once again thank Austin Flohrschutz and TruPotency (as well as our community) for taking part in today’s Ask Me Anything! We’re going to wrap it up so Austin can get back to his work, but if you still have a question, go ahead and ask it. We’ll be checking in to get you the answer!

And remember, if you want to check out the product line over at TruPotency, be sure to use code GN20 at checkout to save 20% on your purchase!

4 Likes

I have heard that CBD isolate taken internally can be hard on the kidney/liver etc and have been recommended to use full spectrum CBD oil… the person who informed has no ties to the business other then running a cannabis wellness clinic… so I am curious… as I make my own oil and pet supplements but have only used isolate…

6 Likes

Hey Austin,

What are some of your personal favorite products of CBD and why? What do you use CBD for?

Thanks!

4 Likes

Generally speaking, topical products will be most beneficial for the skin and not much else, but topicals do start acting fairly quickly (within minutes). Topicals can potential help local inflammation in a joint or muscle under the skin, but the amount of CBD that actually crosses the skin is thought to be fairly low, so probably not beneficial for stress/anxiety (unless it is related to relief from skin issues).

CBD taken by mouth tends to have an effect after about 30 minutes on your body after making its way through your stomach. However sublingual application (held under the tongue) can potentially get into the bloodstream faster and start working quicker.

Vaporization is the quickest way into your bloodstream for rapid relief. Starts taking affect within 1-5 minutes.

Overall though, we need more research to understand what type of products are best for what ailments (along with dosing).

6 Likes

Hey there! I am interested in using CBD oil, but am unsure of its effects. Is it safe to use during the day, while at work? What effects can I expect? Is it better to use at night, for sleep?

6 Likes

You can expect great focus at tasks… that is what the wife and I find…

5 Likes

First, I want make sure to let you know I am not an MD or Vet. One thing to be wary of is that CBD can inhibit enzymes the break down other drugs, effectively increasing the amount of other drug in your body, similar to why some medication tell you to avoid grapefruit juice. This has been shown with blood thinners, but probably extends to other drugs as well.

As for overall dosing, studies have used up to 1500mg a day that is well tolerated in humans. As for animals, dogs have been given 2mg/kg twice daily for osteoarthritus that seem to be well tolerated as well.

6 Likes

My dog acts like a puppy and she is 11… if she hurts too much she just goes for a nap if I give her a little bit extra…lol…and thank you for the reply…

7 Likes

I am a fan of full-spectrum products, however isolate might be a better choice for some people. We carry a few brands that I really like: Plant People, Re: Botanicals, and Populum. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them.

I use CBD mostly for pain, but it does help me with occasional stress and “monkey mind” as well.

7 Likes

CBD is safe to use during the day. It is not a sedative, like Ambian, so should not make you tired and knock you out. It can help with sleep by reducing stress/anxiety and the accompanying thoughts. The main way it should make you feel (or how I like to describe it) is like a dimmer knob as apposed to a light switch. Overall the main potential effects of CBD are related to pain, anxiety, and nausea, although there is a lot more research being done.

4 Likes

I forgot to ask this earlier. What’s the difference between cbd oil like TruPotency and other retailers carry and “hemp oil” you can buy on Amazon?

3 Likes

Hello! I hope I am not too late to the conversation…!

Two [totally unrelated] questions:
-I like to use CBD at night for sleep/anxiety. Do all night time CBD products (and more specifically, sleep-related CBD products) contain melatonin? If not, what differentiates CBD for nighttime use vs CBD for daytime use?
-I know there is not a lot of research out there regarding consumption of cannabis during pregnancy, however, I was wondering if you had read anything on use of CBD during pregnancy and it’s effects (if any) on fetal development.

Thank you; this thread has been very interesting!

4 Likes
  1. Not all sleep CBD products contain melatonin, but many of them do. We carry a sleep drop from Plant People (soon in double strength) that contains CBN, which is thought to be somewhat sedative to make you sleepy. The major difference between day and nighttime use for CBD would be the other ingredients (terpenes, cannabinoids, melatonin, caffeine, and more).

2. I am not knowledgeable enough here to talk about pregnancy or development, but I know the FDA strongly advises against it. My old lab was and is currently do research regarding this, but there is much to limited results to say what CBD is actually doing if taken during pregnancy.

4 Likes

That is a great question. There is a lot of deceptive products that will say “Cannabis Sativa” on them, but in the ingredients it says hemp seed oil. Hemp seed oil is not going to have actual CBD in it. All the products you find on Amazon are like this, void of CBD.

Always look for the amount of CBD on the label and check the ingredients. But if you shop at TruPotency, then you won’t have to worry about deceptive hemp seed oil products.

4 Likes

I use hemp seed oil as a carrier for my isolate and my fulls spectrum CBD’s… it is very good and effective… the strength of the oil as a rule of thumb is mg CBD/30ml or 1oz… so 250mg CBD had 1/4g of CBD/oz or 30ml

Shadow

Thanks for this AMA in the community @aflohrschutz and :tada: Congrats for hitting 40k+ on Reddit!!!

40k+ upvotes and likes on Reddit got their questions answered about CBD + Wellness. Thank you if you joined us!

If you missed it, just click on the Reddit icon below.

The questions were answered about CBD from Austin Flohrschutz, Neuroscientist and Director of Science at TruPotency, your CBD Retailer + Resource.

Here’s a sampling of some of the questions and answers:

Seriously. Does it really help with damn near everything? Because every commercial I hear lists off 100 different types of relief or cure?

It doesn’t help with everything and everyone responds differently to CBD. Everyone’s biology is different and will respond differently to the same compounds; think about caffeine: some people cannot even have a sip of coffee without getting the jitters, while others need a double shot of espresso to get the morning started.

There’s a lot of claims of what CBD is good for. What’s the greatest myth about it to you?

I think some of the biggest myths are that CBD will cure X disease. At most, we think CBD might help with symptoms of various ailments, but a cure for Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, anxiety, and more is probably not the case. I would be more than happy to eat my words as more data and research comes in though.

I’ve tried CBD to help with insomnia but I have no idea if the products I tried truly have CBD and/or what the actual dose may have been?

Most products we vetted had at least some CBD in them, but I would say maybe 1-2% were completely void of any CBD. The major issue we saw was just having too little CBD. You may look for a CBN-based product to help with sleep. It is reported to be a sedative, but with a major lack of data to date. Always verify the product with a certificate of analysis.

More questions and answers on the reddit icon!

AMA on reddit

Happier Holidays + A More Peaceful

New Year

Give the Gift of CBD

2 Likes