šŸƒ AMA with Brian Gandy of SAGE Lighting Thursday, August 15th at 11 AM PST

@Growernick, My first bit of info to a convert is get your dehumidifiers tight. Relying on HVAC to cycle humidity goes out the window when you do a full convert to LED.

How are you getting your UVB? CMH?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what needs to happen. The misleading advertising and labeling of lights is very harmful to the whole industry. If you get ripped off buying one light that compared itself to HID that person is likely to avoid led and go to HID. Not that thereā€™s anything wrong with it but itā€™s just bad for everyone except the company that ripped them off. And since so many people arenā€™t well versed in the technical details of lights those companies will continue to do business as normal until enough people stand up and say no more.

3 Likes

@doobienoobie, Agreed. I have taken the high road so far but no one listen to the nice guy. LED was a tough enough sell 4 years ago. The fact that companies are still out hustling sub PAR (pun intended) crap is beyond me. Iā€™m a science guy though and have never been in this for a quick buck

3 Likes

Come correct! The meter donā€™t lie!

3 Likes

CMH, yes, and standalone low wattage reptile bulbs on timers hung low in the canopy for supplemental UV

3 Likes

Thereā€™s several people out there showing hard data on the differences of lights. Itā€™s impossible to stop the companies from doing it until their sales suffer for it. Iā€™m just not sure how we get to that point unless some people start lawsuits over false advertising. But even that would be hard to pull off since the real data (wall watts etc.) is usually in their ads they just bury it and the uninformed donā€™t know how to understand it.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Have you looked at the Fluence Ray UV series?

Itā€™s more in the UVA range but I am curious

3 Likes

I have notā€¦but I will!

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking for some good UV supplementation. The chips are self destructive by nature so stand alone fixtures are the only way to go. This is great for growers so you can turn off UV when working in a room and reduce risks for skin exposure. The promise for PM and pest along with quality bumps are there. I will be tinkering on this idea until we have some answers.

Let me know if we are running long. I can nerd out all day but duty calls

3 Likes

Shameless promotion time.
Hit me up with any questions about lighting anytime!

If you send me a referral that pans out, I will get you some free gear or cash.

And if someone is converting from HID, I will personally make sure that all old bulbs and fixtures are properly recycled.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll definitely keep a ear out for people needing lighting. Iā€™m in Oklahoma so a lot of new grow ops popping up daily it seems.

3 Likes

Sounds good Doob. Boom times in OK. Shout out to Cultivate over there in OKC.

Iā€™ll make sure you get the second rev of the Buyerā€™s Guide. Shade included.

3 Likes

I am still waiting for LED UVBā€™sā€¦let us know when you find something legit

2 Likes

Word on the skreet is Nichia has some new chip tech coming to market. Hopefully price and function are there

3 Likes

Sweet! I still havenā€™t made it around to all the new grow shops. I find myself going to the same places Iā€™m used to going. Although thereā€™s a lot of new product that wasnā€™t available before. Buying was easy when you had limited options lol. Itā€™s something I thought weā€™d never see in Oklahoma.

3 Likes

I used to work for Chip wayyyyy back in the day in North Denver at Cultivate. They are still thriving there and set up shop in OKC. They will have good advice and product. I think clones too?? Not at the shop but at the same block if I remember correctly.

Preach on him about getting some LED. Old habits die hard lol

3 Likes

Hahah yes they do. Iā€™ll definitely stop in and see him.

3 Likes

@BG_SAGE where do you see the cannabis industry in five years? Where will S.A.G.E. lighting fit into the mix?

3 Likes

@Growernick, the Cannabis industry in 5 years will still be booming. HID will be a thing of the past when environmental regulations come in. This will start out west and move east.

Many of the LED fixtures sold today will need to be appropriately recycled or repurposed to food production and education. New tech will be well above 3.5 mmol/J and on to the theoretical maximums.

SAGE will be here to facilitate HID replacement, LED upgrades and Close the loop on lighting waste. We will also be helping growers avoid bad information and get a proper deal on lighting tech so they donā€™t have to sell their souls to keep growing strong.

Much of the industry will move into greenhouses where LEDs really shine. And we will all be in self driving Jetsonā€™s style cars vaping herb with dark matter energy

5 Likes