šŸƒ AMA with Eric Olsen of High Caliper Growing (AKA Smart Pots) Wednesday, June 26th at 11 AM PST

I know who you are referring to and I absolutely believe him!

2 Likes

For how long have you been growing? What got you started? What first ignited your passion and what keeps you growing today?

3 Likes

Iā€™d say that 3 and 5 are definitely our best sellers for indoor grows. Iā€™d say that a 3 would have the medium dry out a bit quicker, and youā€™d be able to feed more often. Weā€™ve seen quite a few growers flowering in 1 gal smart pots, but then for those growers, plant count is probably no issue (permitted, legal grows)

5 Likes

Iā€™ve seen a lot of facilities top feeding 3ā€™s with phenomenal results! Explosive growth with frequent waterings

4 Likes

I have always wondered something: the name Smart Pot has become synonymous with fabric pots, much in the same way the brand name Kleenex has become the given name for facial tissues. Was that a carefully crafted marketing plan?

3 Likes

I usually let my pots dry out till I see leaf wilting, is that the best way or should I water more often, usually the pots are very light, on tall trees they can actually tip with watering like that.

4 Likes

I grew up in Wisconsin, and have for most of my life had issues with anxiety. I found in college, that cannabis really helped me overcome that to smooth out the edges of life. A few of my friends from WI had moved out to CA in '06 and I had visited them and seen what the cannabis industry was growing up into. Make money for growing cannabis, why not!
So I moved out in '07 and started growing w a group of friends. Eventually started my own grow, moved on to manage a 35 light facility by myselfā€¦ around 2012 I got disillusioned with the ā€œgrow gameā€ and started to transition into the ā€œfertilizer gameā€ and started distributing a product called Sea-Crop in SoCal. That led me to then sell those accounts and start working with NPK Industries (Medford OR) full time. Then a year ago, Smart Pots came a knockin. I havenā€™t really grown for profit in 6 years or so, but have never stopped the home grow. Iā€™ll have a few plants out on the porch year round and a 315 MH light for a consistent indoor production/ veg growth.

6 Likes

Iā€™d say that might a little light. Iā€™d say for my soil, I will dig down about an inch or two and if the soil is still wet, Iā€™ll wait another day. One nice thing about Smart Pots, is even if you are ā€œoverwateringā€ the downsides wonā€™t be as noticeable, especially vs a hard plastic pot

5 Likes

Iā€™m a little lazy, as well when it comes to watering so itā€™s become a habit, thanks.

4 Likes

ā€œIF YOUā€™RE NOT FIRST, YOUā€™RE LAST!ā€
Smart Pots were the first fabric pot, and have been pumping out almost 30 million grow containers since 1984. Yes, every fabric pot is a ā€œsmart potā€, or is marketed as such. Itā€™s kind of annoying to see on Amazon or Ebay when you search, ā€œsmart potā€ and the first 10 entries are Chineese knockoffs. Some say they donā€™t notice a difference, but, the main one is longevity. Knockoffs last MAYBE half as long, if youā€™re lucky. Then, typically they hold onto water too much (root wrapping) or not enough (lost water/ nutes). Then, who knows what these knockoffs are made with???

Iā€™ve been hearing reports of growers getting their flowers flagged for heavy metals and contaminants such as arsenic, lead, etc. The growers have deduced that it wasnā€™t from their nutrients, but from leeching garbage from their plastic pots!!!

BTW: Smart Pots are made in the USA, are BPA and lead free!

7 Likes

Better to underwater, than overwater, Iā€™d say :slight_smile:
What size container are you using?

5 Likes

I use 1, 3, 5 gallons mostly 1ā€™s and I flower in the pot they happen to be in, depends on how much space I have at the time, I mostly use 1 gallons for photoā€™s and 3 gallons for autoā€™s. hardly use 5ā€™s.

5 Likes

Ah the life of a growerā€¦ I always find that I have more plants/ genetics than I have lights or, outdoor space :wink:

5 Likes

For sure, Iā€™m trying to burn through stuff to find the goodness, so Iā€™m going small in the 1 gallons, when I find something good may let it get bigger in a 3, in another round.

4 Likes

So Iā€™ve been flowering in fabric pots for over a decade now and I am hookedā€¦full on convert! My issue that I run into, especially in a commercial facility, is cleaning the scale and calcification from the fabric. @smartpotseric, have you got any pro tips for cleansing?

5 Likes

Boom! Smart move. I met a genetics grower in Hawaii last month and he was doing his sexing in 15 gal potsā€¦ wasting time, in my opinion.

3 Likes

Yeah itā€™s the only way that makes sense to me, not enough time for the love of the plant in our short lives.

4 Likes

LOL, everyone has, or knows someone whoā€™s taken their Smart Pots to the laundromatā€¦

Iā€™d say the easiest way to clean is to fill some container (bucket, trash can, etc) with water, and add 1 oz per gal of vinegar. Let this sit in the solution overnight, give your pots a quick rinse, and they are good as new!

6 Likes

Hi there. Thanks for being here. I love your products.
Iā€™m looking at grow beds, and because of my space, I have some irregular, rectangular sizes. Can you guys accommodate this?

Also, whatā€™s the best way to get a thorough watering with Smartpots?

4 Likes

Last pic has some roots that didnā€™t quite get cleaned out. Iā€™m not too picky on that.

6 Likes