šŸƒ AMA With Ethan Kayes Wed. Dec 26th 11 AM PST

@heainjectors is part of the forum. If you a serious grower this is the best product on the market for getting anything into water.

I once thought about an H E Anderson injector as a gift to my brother for a distillation project. Alcohol nothing remotely illegal.

They just do not break. And when they need scheduled maintenance it only takes a hour or two to do 12 heads.

We had a four head injector in the greenhouse and a one head injector on our main supply line. I could not have been in business without this product.

From the voices in my head
Ethan

5 Likes

Ethan,

Some time when you have time I would like to discuss why I think the suppliers are not providing what is needed.

Neville

3 Likes

The biggest thing is that Suppliers are not listening to growers. The second thing is growers donā€™t want white papers. They want hard science when making mission critical decisions. The professional are hard core floriculturist.

The are trying to figure out fact from fantasy.

Ethan

4 Likes

There is no fantasy at SDI. Direct control of Environmental Vapor Pressure, Temperature combined with an energy efficient design. And yes we use a sensor that is very efficient.

Neville

5 Likes

I was not just talking about marijuana strictly as a brand, but about the entire industry involved in it. Should rather use the term hemp.
The law is too restrictive on what the entire industry loses and its respect in practice is really killing the property of hemp.

4 Likes

Adam,

I think in North America Hemp will be in reference to fiber production.
Cannabis will be in reference to the high THC producers.

The problem is that they are the same plant. I think Cannabis sativa is the dominant plant. Cannabis indica is really just sativa. Cannabis afghani is its own spieces, but can cross witn C. sativa. Cannabis afghani is a high THC producer and has long internodle fibers, but is very short. Maybe a meter tall. I think we get the Hemp we grow from a cross between cannabis sativa and Cannabis afghani as a byproduct of First Anglo-Afghan War, because we see the first modern Hemp post 1842 in India. It made its way very quickly to Europe and North America. I also think that this is Cannabis indica as a name originates in India. The herbarum specimen I first see are collected in India in the 1850ā€™s. Prior to this we see Hemp reference as oil Hemp. The seeds made a good lubricant and lamp oil. The fiber was of an ok quality kinda like flax. One the Indian Hemp made it to North America it became the dominant fiber crop. But, was not an abondent seed producer like the older seed varieties.

Verities like cannabis sativa ā€œFinoliā€ was breed in Finland first between WW1 and WW2 as a good fiber crop in Northern climates. It is not very good in hot Tempatures. The dominate verities in the USA for fiber production is very heat tolerant and has a propensity to produce high THC children.

The Finoli verity does not have big THC producers in the children. But, does produce good fiber and seed oil.

We mostly want good THC producer, I think the terpintines are closely linked to color pigments in cannabis. So if you want flavor you breed for color. And if you want a drug you breed for THC.

Now funny is the heavy pigmented varieties are some of the highest THC varietes.

We need a good geneticist. THC seems to be the number of copies of a DNA perticular sequence. But, the more THC the less CBDā€™S. Hum. There is something important here. Also the varieties with the most resin leaks are also colored. Humm.

Ethan.

4 Likes

@FarmerK wrote the following. What do I think about osmocote?

I would think your cal mag feed would be a better choice than the osmocote I like osmocote. But, you have to wait. I use it in my house plants.

Your have a feed in your inventory that is the ratio of 1:1:1:1 plus traces N:P:K:CA plus traces. I would use this in your soiless mix of choice. Feed CLF at 200 PPM up until two weeks before flowering. If they are hungry up to 300ppm.

Two weeks before flowering switch to your bloom booster it has a ratio of 1:3:2:1 plus micros. Do this through flower induction. 200 ppm N

Then switch back to your regular feed 1:1:1:1 tapped your feed during flower. Finish the last two weeks with clear water. This should give you the hight THC and the best color.

Also warm roots cool tops expecially post flower induction. This will give you the best plants.

The low pH is something I am going to have to try. I see advantages and disadvantages. I just have to do.

From

The voices in my head Ethan

3 Likes

Fun thread, thanks for posting Ethan.

Just a quick note for your Kansas water problem. Do you have a water softener on the line? They essentially replace the calcium with sodium, which is far easier for RO membranes to strip out, so your membranes live much longer.

We do dead-res flood and drain hydro, and since Iā€™m one of the nerds who reads whitepapers, I found one about chlorine injection in hyroponic tomato farms. The tomato farmers found their best yields at 65ppm free chlorine, over controls, 35 ppm and 100ppm tests. Cannabis is remarkably tolerant of chlorine levels in hydro systems, up to 100ppm causes no adverse effects. We use small chlorine tablets to slowly release 40-60ppm of chlorine in our aerated reservoirs, which also acidifies the solution.

When used with RO and acidic nutes, itā€™s common to see pH ranges dip into the low 3ā€™s. We use silica as an effective pH up until late flower, when we switch back to AN pH Up so as not to have too much silica in the medium and tissue post harvest.

4 Likes

When we ran the operation in Kansas we where forced to inject phosphoric acid into the irrigation lines. This caused us to adjust all our feeds to compensate for the phosphate. J R Peterā€™s finally produced three custom blends to meet our needs. They had a one pallet minum on custom blends.

I would never as sodium to soften the water lots of what we grew was sodium sensitive plus it just through all the numbers off.

We joking priced out reverse osmosis for the greenhouses, but between water storage and RO tanks we would have spent about as much money as on structures.

We used a four head Anderson injector in the greenhouse 1 acid head two feed heads and one head for other uses.

We also had an Anderson gas injection head in the 3 inch water supply room. We added some additional chlorine into our water. We didnā€™t like the chlorine levels in our water supply from the city. It caused problem in our drip lines.

Today, I know we would handle the water issues differently. But, I donā€™t live in that climate any more.

But, every grower needs to spend more time thinking about there water.

Next, place I will grow will be Bellingham, WA and that will be for recreation.

And the plants I most want to grow are flowers. So, ideally a glasshouse for sweet peas and maybe a grow room and a full lab. Even though I am a terrible chemist. I only managed organic because it was all memory. Whereā€™s the carbon! Analytic chemistry was my down fall.

Want to do some big data analysis with a friend at IBM. I want to look a different stistical methods in DNA analysis of cannabis since we now have over 600 fully sequenced plants. Plus, 800 RNA sequence. And they are all publicly available for free! I think IBM will pay for the computer time. I think it is just a giant math problem and some testing of root hair for the compounds we want.

Ethan

4 Likes

Thanks to everyone for inviting me to give my ideas. Old people have good idea not all the innovations will come from the bottom up some will come from the top down.

Thank you @Growernick and big @nick for the opportunity.

Ethan.

3 Likes

Thanks for being here with us and taking the time. We appreciate your knowledge and wisdom.

2 Likes

Nick,

Any time

Warm regards
Ethan

2 Likes

Thank you Ethan. Great information! It is a shame that I could not join this AMA.

I would love to discuss all of those topics with you. Have a wonderful 2019.

3 Likes

Any time.

Warm regards
Ethan

1 Like

Dear Ethan,

I am confident that what we have developed in Flora Fotonica is matching your needs. We have ā€œbrokenā€ the light into its components in all means and able manipulate the light spectrum (and not only the spectrum) with 11 controlled bands from UVA/UVB all the way to IR/Far Red. Our system of EVA3 that will soon be sent to be experienced with some cultivators, is state of the art engineering. We took into consideration not to change the growers regular flow aiming to replace MH/HPS we hang our lamps from 1.5 m over the canopy delivering minimum 1000 Micromole from that height in the right/desired spectrum with high accuracy to meet the 4/4 feet square with minimum fading to the margins as we also developed our own optics. I invite you as others to join our revolution and get more data and possibly units to test. Eyal Ronen: Eyal@florafotonica.com, Skype: eyalronen10; Mobile: +972542316508

3 Likes

Eyal,

Can you pass this simple test Chromatography of cannabis

If you can let me chose the spectrum during the grow I will be pleased to talk.

LED are the future but I want to control the spectrum during the grow and the intensity. Plus I need a means to control the hight of the light and actively messure the output of light a given hight during the grow.

Can you give me the MTF and the life expetency of optimal output.

Ethan.

1 Like

Ethan hi,

Replied in private but anyhow the LED life expectancy is aiming 15 years that is obviously dependent on the use and light hours the lamp is operating. Assuming high intensity and flexibility with the intensity and spectrum we can guarantee 5 years at least.

All the best

Eyal Ronen
VP Sales, Marketing and Business Development
Flora Fotonica

2 Likes

Iā€™d say because the financial sector doesnā€™t (currently) properly understand the abnormalities in regard to infrastructure capability/demand, or ā€˜supply/demandā€™. Neither do contract manufacturers. They say to this industry, ā€œNot yet.ā€ - Well, the time will come, inevitably.

For us, personally, weā€™re not selling anything yet; simply because we are busy with other things, and donā€™t need money from this company, which provides us with a sense of patience.

In due time.

3 Likes

Austin,

I am not sure I understand. Will you elaborate, please.

Ethan

3 Likes

Not at this time, sorry.

With Love,
Austin

2 Likes