🍃 AMA with Jacob Olivares, Lead Research Scientist at Ionization Labs Wednesday, July 10th at 11 AM PST

About how many cannabinoids can the machine screen for? Can it screen for terpenes too?

3 Likes

The great thing about our machine is that it can be used in a wide variety of sectors. Currently the main consumers of our machines are the clients who are producing oils. With our machine they’re able to test on a per batch basis and track how a change in their protocol changed up their yields. Yes we see many large hemp farms trying to get into this space and partner with us. And we have seen clients with the want and need for our product in Canada and we forsure plan on servicing them but as of right now we’re focusing on spreading our roots and servicing clients in the states

3 Likes

The machine can screen for the 14 major cannabinoids being, CBDV, CBDVA, THCV, CBD, CBG, CBDA, CBGA, CBN, THCD9, THCD8, CBC, CBNA, THCA, and CBCA. Currently we are not screening for terpenes but that is definitely something we hope to get into in the future

4 Likes

Your website is awesome! I was specifically interested in the “Cannabis and Hemp Chemistry” module that you have on there. Great work and very informative!

Here’s a link for anyone interested in checking it out for yourself:

Cannabis and Hemp Chemistry from Ionization Labs

Research into cannabinoids and terpenes is in its infancy, if that. Is there any ongoing or published research you are aware of that might show promising results into the curaive value of specific isolated terpenes or cannabinoids?

4 Likes

Personally I haven’t been following any research projects on the effects of these terpenes and cannabinoids, I mainly focus on research projects focusing on the analytical side but I have heard from clients and other scientists in the field about how they’re finding new effects to be linked with specific cannabinoids and terpenes

3 Likes

@jacobaolivar, where do you see the cannabis industry in the next five years? Where will Ionization Labs fit into the evolution of our industry?

2 Likes

I see the cannabis industry starting to move into wanting strains that have the “entourage”. Up until recently I would say that people really only focused on THC levels and due to this, the genetics for producing the other cannabinoids were bred out. As for where we fit into this, we are going to be able to tell people in real time how their grow parameters and oil extraction methods are affecting the yields of the cannabinoids. With our technology people are going to start to be able to focus on boosting certain cannabinoids and thus moving this emerging industry to where it needs to be.

4 Likes

I certainly hope you are correct. As a craft grower, I share a similar vision with you for the future. I think the consumer will drive the demand for cannabinoid rich flower. So the question becomes, how does the grower maximize the cannabinoid content in his or her flowers and achieve similar results over and over again?

On that note, I often hear whispers in the industry that we are the last generation of flower smokers. Do you believe the day will come when nobody smokes raw flower anymore?

3 Likes

That’s the million dollar questing Nick. Unfortunately we didn’t even know some of these cannabinoids existed some years ago so very little research has been done on them and even less on how to boost them. I expect that very soon theres going to be new fertilizers and new chemicals that farmers can use that will help in the production of these compounds

5 Likes

I can definitely see the day where there will not be any more flower consumption. As we get better at extracting these cannabinoids and being able to mix the cannabinoids with other compounds, the question of health comes into play and if a person is able to ingest the same cannabinoids with an exceedingly lower health risk, then I’m all for it because as we all know when you smoke a bud, you’re not just inhaling the 20% cannabinoids, you’re also inhaling the other 80% of whatever it is.

4 Likes

Boy, I hope you’re wrong…but in my heart I think you’re right!

@jacobaolivar thanks for a great and informative AMA!

4 Likes

Mr. Jacob Olivares, how would you or Ionization Labs. Like to open a lab right here in Thailand?
If so, get back with me.

4 Likes

Good day Jacob, not sure if its too late to ask a few questions. Was wondering what series of Agilent machine you sell to your customers and wanted to know if I bought a used or refurbished one off internet, could we subscribe to your service? Im finding refurbished 1100’s for as low as $4,000. We are a small craft cannabis production facility and I doubt we could shell out 30,000 for a machine. As cultivation manager I would absolutely love to have this tool in my arsenal, just not sure I can convince the owners

Thanks for the great info - Lee

4 Likes

Very good question, @hileelikelee! I would love to hear the response to this as well.

Calling @jacobaolivar for an opportunity!

3 Likes