🍃 AMA with Kevin McKernan, CSO and Founder of Medicinal Genomics Wednesday, July 17th at 11 AM PST

We now know the cannabis genome has 27,664 genes and each gene is on average making 2-3 isoforms. We also have a methylation map and we can see methylated THCAS genes in certain tissues and unmethylated versions of the gene. We also know RNA expression in TPS genes and cannabinoid genes can predict chemotype from a 4mm Hole punch. Probably not at precise as an GC-FID/HPLC but close enough and field portable. We have also seen Cannabis proteome papers publish using the JL genome. We also know that ~1/8th of the genome is in Structural variation in an inbred cross. There are 8-12M SNPs and 1-2M indels in the genomes. I think its fair to say that its finally Game-On with cannabis genomics. https://www.biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2019/03/15/577635.full.pdf

4 Likes

@kevin_mckernan this question is from one of my favorite podcasts: How I Built This with Guy Raz.

How much of your success do you attribute to luck, or just hard work?

3 Likes

We dont breed but try to make tools that help others to do so. Here is a screen shot of what Kannapedia.net looks like these days. You can see the tools can know predict the Bt:Bd allele from the sequence alone. The heterozygosity numbers can help you breed to have more stable seeds. You can see the Genetic distance predictors are behaving as expected with the JL family all being classified as siblings. We have Gene Coverage over 30 genes in the current panel and we are currently expand the panel to include more genes like Edestin and Bisabolol synthase.

2 Likes

@kevin_mckernan what is your #1 piece of advice for new cannabis growers, both hobbyist and commercial?

2 Likes

This AMA is off and running, folks! @memberdirectory, get those questions in where you can!

3 Likes

Well… that only leave government science for cannabis and I cant say that has gone swimmingly:) I think everyone thinks we are going to become breeders and compete with them …or run off and make GMO weed. We have no plans for either. I do know GMO is already happening. These tools can be used for good or for bad. There is no doubt in my mind that the JL sequence will be used by someone for GMO but I think its important to classify the types of GMO we are going to see. 1)Marker Assisted Selection… not really GMO… Just speed breeding. 2)Moving genes around in the plant… Not really GMO as no foreign DNA is introduced and the plant is already moving around 1/8th of the genome in every cross. 3)Yeast Cannabinoids…its going to happed but yeast need sugar and emit CO2. 99% of sugar is made by chloroplasts and these sink CO2 as opposed to emitting it so Im still routing for the plant to win here. 4)Foreign DNA being introduced to the plant… This is real GMO and it creates lots of property rights issues with pollen drift and patents. If it has to happen, I hope we start with 1 and 2 and approach 3 and 4 with more humility.

7 Likes

The harder you work, the luckier you tend to get:) I didn’t get a PhD. I just worked my ass off on the Human Genome Project so they felt really bad replacing me with someone who wasn’t willing to sleep on the floor to get the job done.

8 Likes

Cannabis IP, genetic information and specifically Phylos have been in the news a lot this year. The actions of Phylos sent waves across the cannabis community. Many concerns have been raised about preserving cannabis intellectual property and misuse of that genetic data. What can be done to remedy the damage caused by Phylos? What can be done to restore transparency and trust to an industry only in its infancy?

3 Likes

We are having a panel on this at CannMed. We think Blockchains are helpful for restoring trust. Public ledgers that CANNOT be edited and that we CANNOT CONTROL are a great place to store peoples IP. I wrote up a page that describes this complex topic. Why Kannapedia.net? | Medicinal Genomics

5 Likes

Does understanding the cannabis genome better, more thoroughly, clear up any of the ideas or controversy as to how cannabis and different variants should be classified – as single species completely, multiple separate species or more so just variants of the same species?

3 Likes

Can you share a little about how blockchain is being utilized in Kannapedia and the power that you hope to give back to growers with this innovative technology?

3 Likes

The gall of that plant!

3 Likes

The whole phylogenetic tree of life is getting redefined with sequencing. I think as long as these plants can interbreed, they will probably be considered the same species. There is a tremendous amount of variation plant to plant and I don’t think Indica/Sativa is descriptive for patients or users. 12M SNPs in some hemp lines compared to Jamaican Lion. 2M Indels.

4 Likes

You mentioned one panel at CannMed. What other speakers/panels might attendees look forward to this year at CannMed?

3 Likes

Since you’ve been present for a lot of technological advances in your field, what is one of the techniques/processes/products you’re applying today that you can’t believe you had to do without in the past?

5 Likes

Blockchains are not good at storing large data files. They are good at storing Hashes of that data on a ledger than can never be edited. This Hashing function also provides some unique features. The Hash is unidirectional. Every time you run SHA-256 on your sequence file it will produce a unique string or number. The number is so large its larger than all of the grains of sand in the world. No other file can create that number. You cannot go from the Hash back to the sequence file so this is a unidirectional fingerprint of your file. When you include that Hash into a blockchain transaction, it proves your file existed at that date and it can never be edited. The Supreme Court of China as ruled on this form of Proof of Existence as being admissible evidence in court. You can then choose to put your sequence public or keep it private. That is probably a good conversation for Dale Hunt as Plant Patents are publishing by the dozen now. These cover asexual clones and the prosecution of these plant patents will likely require DNA sequence.

5 Likes

I agree about the diversity found in Cannabis I have grown Cannabis with small seeds that are over 800 to one gram and big that are just 12 seeds to one gram.

The same with Cannabinoid content and Terpene content almost anything can be found or created with just classic breeding.

5 Likes

PacBio Long read sequencing has absolutely changed the game in cannabis genomics. We now know where every gene is in the genome and understand the alternative splice sites. We know the Y chromosome is 118Mb and has very interesting genes. I think we will understand the genetics of hermaphroditism in a few years and we may even see a reversion to seeds as people iron out Apomixis.

4 Likes

I bet the big ones have a very active Edestin Genes. We see this gene get hypomethylated in Female seeded flowers. Edestin_hemp_docimo2014.pdf (1.2 MB)

4 Likes

I have looked forward to a test that would show intersex plants, be they gene based like Male tests, or just that they show expression of intersex can happen with a certain variety or individual under stress of some sort.

3 Likes