πŸƒ AMA with Kevin McKernan, CSO and Founder of Medicinal Genomics Wednesday, July 17th at 11 AM PST

Fascinating!

Do you know of anyone breeding these specific traits into cannabis yet?

3 Likes

Genetics is a large part of the picture, but how does environment interact with known genes and bio-synthetic pathways to change cannbinoid and terpene ratios in the final product? For instance, do we know if or how changing NPK ratios, micro nutrients, veg/flower length, or lighting affects gene expression and the downstream synthetic pathways?

4 Likes

Yes… Thats my understanding as well but they may be playing a roll in oils and epilepsy/cancer?
There was a recent publication on the 4CL pathway in cannabis. This are some of the gene targets in StrainSEEK Cannaflavin_synthesis_cannabis.pdf (994.5 KB)

3 Likes

Ive gotta run to a Trey Anastasio film in Kendall square. Thanks for all of the Fish.

4 Likes

@kevin_mckernan thank you so much taking time to offer for your insight into the cannabis industry. Our community is very grateful to have you.

Unfortunately, we are rapidly winding down on available time. @kevin_mckernan I would love to invite you back for another Growers Network AMA in the near future. We definitely need to follow this up with a Round 2!

I want to thank everyone who participated today. Thanks again to @kevin_mckernan, Medicinal Genomics and CannMed for being with us.

3 Likes

As a bonus, I want to mention that members of the Growers Network Private, Professional Community get an exclusive discount to CannMed 2019! DM us to learn more!

Happy Growing :evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

[aflohrschutz]

Impact of N, P, K, and Humic Acid Supplementation on the Chemical Profile of Medical Cannabis (Cannabis sativa L)
Bernstein Nirit, Jonathan Gorelick, Roei Zerahia, Sraya Koch
June 2019 Frontiers in Plant Science 10
DOI: 10.3389/fpls.2019.00736

4 Likes

Thank you for this informative session. What do you think about using Blockchain for supply chain quality management in cannabis?

4 Likes

I liked this paper. β€œHA reduced the spatial variation of cannabinoids distribution throughout the cannabis plant. Reason could be due to the accelerated degradation of cannabinoids in areas where they are highly concentrated. (degradation of THC to CBN and DHC.)”
which is great in standardization of the chemical profile of the plant, as there is a big difference in spatial variation of cannabinoids. It makes the dosing and the predictability of effects much more reliable.

3 Likes

I thought I share this here, It is interesting on the future of Blockchain

4 Likes

We think this is the great idea.
We think Kannapedia can handle the genetics part of it as an API into other S2S systems.

4 Likes

Thanks for the paper!

3 Likes

There are also papers on different light affecting Cannabinoid and terpene levels in the same clone,
UVB lights to increase terpenes and secondary metabolites
Peter Barber
GreenTech Amsterdam Rai 2018

UV-B RADIATION EFFECTS ON PHOTOSYNTHESIS, GROWTH and CANNABINOID PRODUCTION OF TWO Cannabis sativa CHEMOTYPES.
Lydon J., Teramura, A. H., & Coffman, C. B.
(1987).
Photochemistry and Photobiology, 46(2), 201–206. (1987).
doi:10.1111/j.1751-1097.1987.tb04757.x

Effects of ultraviolet-B radiation on the growth, physiology and cannabinoid production of Cannabis sativa L
β€’ J. Lydon
January 1986 Thesis (Ph. D.)–University of Maryland, College Park, 1985. Vita. Includes bibliographical references (leaves 78-95).

1 Like