AMA With Mike Ballard and Kyle Broge from Key To Life

We provide any and all information to our customers as far as feeding charts, informational sheets, consultative services and full transparency of ingredients to ensure that our growers have any and all information they need in order to make the right decisions for their grow. The best part about this is that our products are not salt-based, so it is very difficult to burn or create lock-out issues with our products!! Our success is our grower’s success, and we truly stand by that!

4 Likes

100% true! I attained so much theoretical knowledge when working a retail hydro store! Couple it with a decade or so of practical cultivation experience and you have the stage set for a fairly decent grower.

2 Likes

Hi Kyle,
Thanks for taking questions.
Is there a preferred soilless media that works best with these additives (I.E. Coco, Peat Moss, Rockwook, etc…)?

Can these additives be used in a Recirculating or Drip Hydroponic System without issue?

3 Likes

How reservoir-stable would you say is KTL?

4 Likes

You can absolutely use these products in a recirculating and drip system.

Technically, i a product has peat moss, forest material, or any “amendments” it is considered “soil”
True “soilless” media is coco, rockwool, perlite, hytroton, etc.

The beauty about Key to Life products is that they work in ALL systems for ALL growers. Anything that grows, grows better with key to life!!

NOW, having said that, we tend to prefer more diverse soils in organic systems. This promotes the highest diversity of microbial, fungal and entemological diversity possible, which promotes the healthiest food web and healthiest plants possible!

5 Likes

It is pretty damn stable. Obviously, we recommend constant aeration and agitation of your reservoir to ensure aerobic content, but with continued pH monitoring, it is very nutrient stable. Actually, due to the organic nature of the product, it is more stable than synthetic systems because the nutrients do NOT precipitate with each other and fall out of solution

4 Likes

I received the care package - a big THANK YOU - and I am especially excited about your powdered molasses. Will that remain stable as well? or about how long (with proper agitation and aeration) might a grower expect the solution to remain res-stable?

2 Likes

I always worry about things like potassium silicate and calcium-magnesium mixing and causing precipitation in the mix. It sounds like you’ve managed to mitigate this risk. Well done!

2 Likes

As opposed to most tea-style reservoir applications that are only good for 3-4 days, our products are reservoir stable for 7-10 days!! And yes, the molasses is great in these systems!!

3 Likes

Best molasses on the market.

4 Likes

We do not use potassium silicate in our systems, our silica is a silicon dioxide that does not precipitate, could your res, lockout your nutrients, and drastically fluxuate your pH.

We also separate calcium and magnesium in ALL our products for that very reason. CAL-MAG is a JOKE…

3 Likes

You mention cleaning the air by reducing CO2 emissions and conserving water. This is very interesting, can you elaborate on how this helps with that?

Do these soil additives also help remediate the soil by improving nutrient uptake in outdoor production?

3 Likes

Thanks for this answer! I love the quote and I think it’s great to hear that your company not only manufactures and distributes the nutrients, but you also provide consultative services for your customers. That’s great!

It is also very valuable to know that your products don’t create lock-out issues or burn the plants easily.

Thanks again KTL!

~Kareenabis~
Success Coach

4 Likes

Yes absolutely! Our products are REAL organics that help truly remediate and recondition soils!! All of our products are carbon-based, which means we are sequestering carbon back into the soils, reducing CO2, as well as increasing plant health and respiration, which also helps with this. And, by reconditioning our soils and diversifying the content of these soils, they will naturally conserve and hold onto more water over time

4 Likes

Naturally, as this diversity increases, the products in the soil will be more plant available sooner, hence increasing uptake. Also, the implementation of humic, fulvic and amino acids aids this nutrient uptake process immensely!! And the kicker, the microbes and fungi, over time, will do most of the work for you!

3 Likes

I love my aminos and humics and fulvics! Not enough precedence is given to their power, IMO.

2 Likes

Well, hey, GNET @memberdirectory, it’s 11 AM and we already have a really robust conversation happening here. Feel free to jump in and ask @kyle and @mike4 your questions!

3 Likes

What was the most challenging nutrient to formulate?

1 Like

Probably our Green9, new plant-based base nutrient!! It was very difficult to source all of our ingredients in plant form, then tie them to the proper amino-acid profile to maximize growth. LOTS of hours on that one, but I’m proud to say it’s where we want it to be!!

3 Likes

I’ve tried organics indoors in my recirculating hydro systems, and had lower yields, root rot, slime growth and clogged emitters. Even in flood and drain the tanks and lines always got a thick buildup of sludge that makes cleaning a huge pain.

I’m skeptical about organics indoors in general, but willing to listen. How do your nutrients not cause these issues?

2 Likes