Best LED Grow Light for Cannabis

Well, don’t know if I’m out in the weeds here, but as a grower I’m not really interested in total green mass. If we are growing for buds, that is the only important parameter. Efficient lighting should give you more mid to lower bud development…May I suggest that a true parameter would be bud weight (with the larger sample sizes giving the best data).Take two tents with the same variety but different lights, all other inputs remaining the same…say you put 8 plants in each tent…weigh the bud produced in each tent and I believe you would have a valid comparison…just my 2 cents!!

2 Likes

Robert,

I think you are close to the mark!

I want to control my light so I don’t waist any light.

If I grow in a greenhouse light is essentially free.

If I grow in a sealed room light has a cost and I want every photon to make me money.

So if I can control the light to the absorption spectrum of a cultivar, I should be able better control an environmental variable. This should mean more money in the pocket of the grower.

The questions are going to come down to greenhouse or grow room. Both, have real costs. Which let’s me grow the best crop for the least amount of money. Soiless or Hydroponic, who can diliver the most secondary compounds per gram per sqft week? My guess is a grow room with a modified hydroponic system will eventually win out.

This is why @GrowFlux has me so interested.

From the voices in my head Ethan

3 Likes

I totally agree with what you wrote. Id be very interested in hearing what your take away is from that paper. I must admit. Im not a book knowledge grower. I was taught from a young age “How” to grow. And through time have adapted to my own “way”. The big problem we have is. There is no standard to measure x cultivar. Having no measurable standard, coupled with everyones distinctly different styles. Leaves us open to huge differences in results. The work done way back im sure is super realvant today. As i have stated I havent taken botany,chemistry or any of those type classes. I have learned my Way through hands in dirt method. While not scientific, it is effective. Cannabis is pretty cool in the fact that you really only need to to a few things to be successful. Yet every grower has a phase of nothing going right. These times i feel the book knowledge would help.
As for the problem at hand its yet to be solvable due to the conditions above and more. So we have to settle on a acceptable metric. Im still at a loss for a answer due to fluidity in every unique grow aswell as strain.

1 Like

@growflux PARspec looks to be something really needed.

1 Like

I like the @GrowFlux products. Yet to try them. I think they are on the right path however.

1 Like

Schooling is not a requirement to be a great grower. It comes in handy at times, that I will say. But most of the chemistry I really use is from high school. Same with half the math I use. Algebra is the most used math. I use lots of Boolean algebra when I worked and lots to do with a branch of math called queue therory. This is what I use for scheduling a commercial grow.

Metrics. First just the basic analytics profile of the strain. Look at http://data.opencannabisproject.org

Some cultivars produce more of what we want than others.

The question is how early can we determine if a new cultivar is a stud or a dud. I bet a lot earlier than we think. This is where metric for breeders is going to make an impact.

Let’s also assume that we will see legalization nationwide. This will mean breeders will be able to patent F1 and Polymorphic plants. This is potential real money in your pocket. You either sell them seed that breeds true in F1 or sell a cultivar and get money for each cutting no mater who grows the cutting. Think poinsettia, Paul Ecke got 20 cents for each cutting you produced and 35 to 50 cents for each cutting directly purchased from them. They made a fortune.

Ecke’s success was he breed the best poinsettias on the market and had information to give growers that could be reproduced by any grower. My favorite grower was a guy who hung drywall for the first 30 years of his life. He just had to follow the recipe and he grew the best poinsettias I have ever seen grown. He did this for 15 years. He presold his entire crop every year at a premium. He was just a really good grower. He learned only the things that would make him a better grower. He ended up taking exactly two college classes algebra and chemistry. He would attend the big trade show every summer in Ohio. Just to learn new production methods. He could pay a years bill from his poinsettias crop. Everything else was pure profit.

This is why defining metrics is so important to us as an industry.

From the voices in my head
Ethan

2 Likes

I was just discussing how big cannabis is now going after intellectual property. In some cases trying to own strains. meaning there could be potential issues for those of us who post publically.

Yes i would love to know as soon as possible. To trash or grow. The ammount of time and resources wasted prob makes up fifty percent. However i am also one who usually never grows the same strain twice. so there is that.

Did we hi jack this thread? sorry @Crecer_Lighting. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

That OCP is way interesting. ty @ethan. now i need to learn how to interperet it and apply it. lol the learning never ends. However i like short studies of many topics. hard to focus on a long boring book. I learn best by doing. I think most of us do.

1 Like

We have a number of analytical chemist here @neville @fdousty @yrenbutcher can we develop a root hair test for cannabis? NIH study

Tom,

Also the intellectual property in plants was settled law 60 years ago. Basically my take on it is anything geneticlly publicly available today will not be patentable. Only after cannabis is commercially aloud by law, can patents be filed. The farm bill just past! Here is the rules www.uspto.gov plants. We would only be able to patent a complete DNA or identifiable new trait. This is from a friend in the government patent office. Example Honey Crisp apples is owned by the University of Minnesota. They get a $1 per new tree grown. I think Stark Brothers is there agent. If you graft your own trees for Comercial use $1.25 must be paid to stark brother. A whip of honey crisp is $12 dollor a plant when you by 1000 trees. Retail trees start at $29.

So would you like a 12k payday or 1250 dollars day? The answer is both. I did the work pay me. Horticulture has a long tradition of paying patents.

Ethan

PS. I think you might find me on the government site look under intellectual property.

1 Like

Most of us who are growers, are hands on learners 4 to 1, We are often dislexic, 60%, We often have above average IQ. 128 is the average grower. We have a higher than average number of busness owners. We are a special group. We are as a group left brained for everything. We also high an above average number of right handed growers. Our right brain has to be trained for specific tasks unlike our non dislexic friends. You are double gifted if you are a left handed dislexic grower.

The problem is most of the people trying sell you something do not understand this. How many hands on displays at the last conference? They tend to be right brained assholes, who give you a piece of white paper and don’t follow it up with facts.

Ethan

3 Likes

Funny enough i am left handed. well lets say ambi.

1 Like

So this is pretty spot on. However while this might be good for some. If will most certainly be bad for others. Lets take seed company x . They have long grown x plant. thier prices are already WAY over acceptable prices per seed pack. Does the price per pack go way up or down after patenting. In the breeding process ypu are then creating a patentable product as it different and unique.
What happens to all genetics from years past. Who claims the unclaimable? Do the big players “Buy heritage and lineage” The thoughts in my head are far to numerous to list let alone concieve.
Some persons might find zero marketability. While other make mountains of cash. All the things i dislike about the biz will become the biz. (wanted to write a paper about this duality)
If the ability to buy whole lineage comes to fruition then we might all become outlaws yet again. Some people pushed really hard for legalization. I hope those same people are proud of what its becoming. I for one was against legal weed because of these exact issues.
The business is changing and will continue to evolve. But lets be honest. The evolution of the biz is the whim of who waves the most cash.

I would say we can call it: Genetic Lockout.

2 Likes

Yes this is a dialect. Both are true.

No one can claim tne unclaimable.

You can patent a new cultivar, vegetative propagation, the genetics is public.

You can patent a seed F1, only if fifty one percent of the seed breed true to the parent on inbreeding.

Ethan

1 Like

Thomas, Ethan is correct. I’m sure @Strainly could give you very specific information. Any genetics that are out there now are considered public domain and non patentable. To obtain a patent the genetics must be unique and documented…even after a patent is issued it can still be usurped if ‘prior art’ is discovered that existed in the public domain before the patent application was filed. FWIW

2 Likes

Hmm, strange world we live in. I dont know if i want to play anymore…

2 Likes

:slightly_frowning_face: it is a hard world. But, you are a good grower.

Lot of orchid growers just trade plants back and forth. When they breed a new one they name it and start trading with friends for other flowers. Nothing wrong with that. There is going to be lots of room for good growers. The bad growers will show up for a while but they go away. Nobody wants to do business with them even on trade.

1 Like

i can confirm this. i will update my strainly acct. for the new year. hierlooms available in ANY quantity.

1 Like

Tom,

Thats cool.

What are the top 10 heirlooms? Would I recognize any of them.? old ditch weed harvester.

Ethan

I will send you a list to your inbox

1 Like

BESTVA 3000W is without any doubt counts as the best LED growing light for cannabis. When it comes to price then no need to be worried because it is really cost-effective and you don’t have to spend a huge amount when it comes to buying it. If you are tight at budget then this is the ultimate choice one could go for. It works perfectly fine in dissimilar sized and the light spread is second to none. They are of high quality performance and work very well for any kind of growth. Most it is recommended during the flowering stage, where you are supposed to limit the usage of this light to a 4x4 space for the sake of restricting the performance and light’s intensity. You further information you can try out https://www.koopower.com/products/200-led-indoor-string-light whenever you need it. Apart from that, the set up is really simple that allows minimal weight restrictions.