Random Thoughts Thread

Need a random thoughts thread on this forum. This thread is where I’ll post any random thoughts, ideas, etc. that pop into my mind.

Here is my “I wonder” question from this morning:

How much PAR luminosity could a 4x4 sky light with no diffusion produce? Say you had a clear glass 4x4 sky light or solar tube…

I.e. could you use sky lights to light an indoor grow (at least during daylight hours)?

4 Likes

I support this idea, and have often thought the same. I feel better knowing someone else pondered the same question.
Here’s a another thought to add to it… installing a skylight seems like a dumb idea in a closet, but not from a growers perspective. Height would be the only restriction.
I suppose a green house would work better though.

5 Likes

Here is a link to some published data:

4 Likes

The heat could be an issue

5 Likes

Another lighting thought. I haven’t seen anyone using vertically placed lighting. Everyone paints walls white or mylar to get reflection from overheads. I’d think some old lights you have hanging around or even cheap “gro” bulbs would be a help. I’ll try some in my new setup

5 Likes

There are some folks around that use side and under lighting. With cannabis being a plant that grows towards the light, I am curious how it changes plant growth patterns (if at all).

4 Likes

I’m not really the type to try and reinvent wheel, but I think growing vertical is pretty cool.

4 Likes

I believe in theory, it would cause the lower growth to spread towards that light- maybe minimizing the amount of trimming that needs to be done.

5 Likes

SeriousBothBronco-size_restricted

Welcome to Growers Network @SourD :grin: We are glad you are here with us!

5 Likes

Thanks for the welcome!
@Bogleg When you mentioned uplighting, it got me thinking back to my bowling days when you brought your smelly, sweaty rental shoes to the counter and they would put them under blacklight to kill mold, bacteria etc… Soooo, I was wondering if you could use blacklight as an up light to ward off those evils that can thrive on the underbelly of plants. This article pretty much puts the kibosh on that idea. https://growlightinfo.com/the-effect-of-uv-light-on-plants/

4 Likes

On a side note… don’t Google how they flavor pipe tobacco unless you have a lot of free time on your hands.

6 Likes

Random thought to add to that… Now that you can purchase specific terpenes maybe you can add that to flowers for different effects? Or add to edibles?

4 Likes

That’s certainly a marketing message from the terpene sellers. Entourage effect, etc.

5 Likes

Maybe, but it sounded good. :wink:

4 Likes

Hey what’s up Bogleg ? Hey in regards to spraying flowers with terpenes. That’s been going on for about 4 or 5 years now. Well that’s when I found out about it. But nobody will admit it.
I found out about it by accident. I have a good friend who has a older brother that has been in the grow game for decades. Well his bro. was doing a big harvest and he had 5 people ( other growers ) helping him.
My friend was not helping . he was in another room just kicking it. But he was listening to what they were talking about. One of his bros. friends said , hey these buds are kinda airy are you going to spray them. The bro said yes tomorrow .

Well that night my friend came to my shop. And I just happened to be doing some trimming. After awhile he asked me if I was going to spray the buds. I looked at him and said spray them with what ? He said I don’t know. And that’s when he told me what he heard.
To make along story short my friend and I spied on his bro. & friends the next day. And they had about 15 pounds spread out & they were spraying the buds. And from what I could here is that they started doing this to add weight to their product and that the smell and taste was just a added benny.
So I assumed it was just some kind of terpene mix.
Another thought is if these 6 are doing this I bet that there is a lot more.
I have talked to a few other growers and in a round about way I brought up about spraying their products. And they all denied it. But I could tell they were hiding something.

Anyway sorry this went on for so long.
And this is just my opinion from what I have seen and heard.
Later.

5 Likes

Yet another reason to grow your own.

NEWSFLASH

Lay’s announces new Terpene Doritos!

3 Likes

Has anyone heard from @tenga lately?

2 Likes