Buying tools I don't know how to use

Hey everyone! I need some help here. I tried to Google search but can’t seem to make sense of this. I wanted to upgrade from my blurple and got a used harvestpro 1000w ballast and a light. The switch is on m.h. and it appears broke. So it’s stuck there. I’m not sure what kind of bulb is in there first of all. Second do I need to hook up a fan to this? It’s a small tent. Did I make a mistake buying this?
It’s pretty warm in there
Uploading: 16186302617028081530747751077592.jpg…

3 Likes

I wana say m.h. stands for metal halides correct me if I’m wrong. I know nothing about growing with these bulbs, but im pretty sure you might need a fan since it has no way of cooling itself off.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s a metal halide bulb I’d definitely replace that with a high pressure sodium bulb and would run a fan off of it I experimented with one for a grow but it was to much for my little tent it eats up a ton of power also

3 Likes

Is the ballast dimmable?

1 Like

Serious overkill with that light. You do need a fan. That light gets quite warm (hot!) and you don’t want to cook your plants in their own juices.

2 Likes

We run hid ( high intensity diodes) . Metal halides (mh) and high pressure sodiums (hps).

Metal halides are best for veg (blue color output)
Hps are best for flower (red color output)

You can run anything and it will work. Not to the best of the plants abilities. You will grow though.

You need a fan and venting hose to run into the tent, attach to both sides of light, then run it out of the tent and out of room. Attic or out a window.

You will be revamping your room many times before you get where you want to be as a grower.
You will find things you want to try and that will change too lol.

Keep this as the beginning of your journal. Fill out some info and grow from there.

Grow Journal Check List

Seedbank:
Strain (bagseed too):
Indoor, outdoor:
Tent, Room Size:
Lighting:
Light height:
Temps (day and night):
Relative Humidity (day and night) :
Added Air (fans, portable acs, heaters, dehumidifiers) :
Ventilation:
Pot sizes:
Soil, Coco, or Dwc:
Nutrient type:
Ph numbers:
Ec and PPM:
Water Temps:
Co2:

Seed germination date:
Veg duration:
Nutrient cycles (how often feed/water):

Fill this out. It will provide many more topics to discuss in your Thread/Room. You keep all your info in the one place. Every time you post in your thread, it goes to the top of the pile and you get more interactions.

4 Likes

Thanks lot! I’m just going to put it away and get a qb board. I guess I’m the type of person who has to try it to learn from it.

3 Likes