Cannabis munches on Pharma's lunch

New England dispensary members ( n = 1,513) completed an online survey about their medical history and medical cannabis [MC] experiences. Among respondents that regularly used opioids, over three-quarters (76.7%) indicated that they reduced their use since they started MC. Approximately two-thirds of patients decreased their use of anti-anxiety (71.8%), migraine (66.7%), and sleep (65.2%) medications following MC.

Another interesting finding was that the patient’s spouse, family, and other friends were more likely to know about their MC use than was their primary care provider.

J Psychopharmacol. 2017 Mar 1:269881117699616. doi: 10.1177/0269881117699616. [Epub ahead of print]
Substitution of medical cannabis for pharmaceutical agents for pain, anxiety, and sleep.

Piper BJ, DeKeuster RM, Beals ML, Cobb CM, Burchman C, Perkinson L, Lynn ST, Nichols SD, Abess AT

2 Likes

@sgoldner thanks for sharing! Do you have a link to the online survey and/or the final results?

Looks like here is the link to the research paper:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Really goes to show how greed can be dangerous when applied to people’s health.

i don’t have any other link, but this is a prepublication notice, so you may have to wait for the full article to be published, and not just this sneak a peak, summary.

1 Like

sorry i don’t have a better link at this time, my scientific clipping service sends me these pre-publication notices in case a research article references my own publications and i need to comment on the new scientific work. so we probably have to wait for the full publication for you to review the underling statistical approach and data values.
Stephen Goldner JD RAC
President
Regulatory Affairs Associates
4761 Tara Court
West Bloomfield, Mi 48323
248 515 0097 cell
sgoldner@regaffairs.net

2 Likes