Companion planting?

Good morning all (well it’s still morning on Oregon’s Rogue Coast).

I am wondering if any of you use companion planting in your cannabis grows - especially in greenhouses. I’ve had great success with the practice in my veggie gardens over the years and would like to hear (read, actually) your thoughts on the subject. I will be planting marigolds and possibly some type of mint in 2-gallon plastic containers near the cannabis pots (I’m using 20-gallon fabric pots spaced four feet apart for the cannabis) but am unsure if I should add other plants. I’ve read that chrysanthemums can be beneficial, but have never grown them. Any input will be happily received. THANK YOU!

4 Likes

This is a rather remedial article, but I think it covers what you are asking. As a non-grower I can’t personally attest to its effectiveness, but my friends who run outdoor grows lean towards this method.

2 Likes

Thanks. I saw that article as well. There is one important fact that I didn’t mention in my original post and that is that we are light depping, so I’m wondering if anyone in this group has had any experience with that. Will certain plants do better than others or will some plants not do well at all with a 12/12 regimen?

2 Likes

Not sure if this is what you mean but in the past I have planted clover with my plants to bring nitrogen back into the soil.

4 Likes

I’ve always followed the vegetable rules, treated them like tomatoes. So I would companion with rye, clovers, peas.

I will use plants for beneficialls around the border of the farm. Planting on the inside marigolds, chrysanthemums, nasturtiums, etc, then behind follow with rosemary, mint, lemon grass as border for the bad guys.

I’ve recently been amped on Mark Shepherds work with regenerative farm practices and stacking crops. His philosophy is based around mimicking nature and letting the natural cycle take over. No inputs at all.

I need to do some learning about this. Given we have a very mixed genetic library with plants from the jungle to the desert. More of a long term plan. For now I will stick with the tried and true no till ways I learned from dr Elaine Inghams work. If you want to know about anything microbial she is the lady.

5 Likes