Conventional Field Production

I had the eight horse Kohler and there was a hitch pin attachment. The hilling attachment even had adjustable wings so that you could adjust how high you wanted your mound.

Honestly, they are really worth the money, last forever and rarely resold. Good luck!

Charles R Pikcunas, Esq
Tsunami Tropicals Ltd

POB 502

Hawi, HI 96719 USA

4 Likes

Field is looking good @Farmer_Dan! How many strains do you run in the field?

4 Likes

Whittled it down to 7 from 20. I dumped some of my first strains ever, no point being nostalgic if it isn’t performing.

I think years of indoor breeding has made some strains under-perform outdoors. I had one strain that I swear hated the sun. I also had a few that were highly susceptible to mold. The rest lacked outdoor vigor, though great indoor strains.

The top 7 enjoy their time outside from start to finish without issues.

Barney’s Farm LSD
Gorilla Glue #4
Jack Herer
Critical Plus
Williams Wonder
Grandaddy Purp
Blue Magoo

6 Likes

Hi Dan, my name is Yadira, I see your interest in doing some indoor cultivation. I am interested in serving you.
I just become a distributor of SoHum Living Soils, best Soil for indoor.
I want to be part of your team and help you get more Buds!:maple_leaf::maple_leaf::maple_leaf: contact me.

3 Likes

Jack Herer is my all time favorite outdoor grow. In fact I have several dozen 18" high in pots. Time for their second pinching and planting outdoors for our Summer.

5 Likes

Well, I bought that Husky tiller with a furrower, it seems to be just the right size for what I need.

I am also testing out a novel tractor hiller set up and it seems to be going well. We should be getting up to an inch of rain this weekend, so I am trying to open up the ground to better receive that water.

I kicked ass today, knocked out 2/3 of the hilling/weeding/cultivating in 3.5 hours. The final 3rd should take about 6 hours (middles of the rows with the tiller). I did two middles in 1 hour.

Today is also the first day that I thought, “wow, these look a lot bigger”. They should be hitting their stride early this year!

/original/2X/2/200f20cf867e13b5973968b2de5dc68ff63b41a4.mp4

4 Likes

Your field looks super clean!
Glad that the rototiller is working for you. With the time saved,you might even get a round of golf in.
Speaking of rain, the tiller cuts weak surface roots that burn out in dry periods anyway and encourages deep tap roots which absorb more minerals. Also rototilled soil allows water to percolate into the soil and not just wash away or evaporate from the surface.
I’m sure that you will see the difference.

5 Likes

That’s why I’m trying to open the ground up before this rain hit. Almost done, about 1 hour left of middle furrow tillage. Rain starts in about 5 hours.

Hopefully the weeds won’t re-root. They’re pretty beat up and/or covered well.

3 Likes

Gulp, gulp, bring on that rain!

2 Likes

My 8 legged farm hand. Stay vigilant, my friend.

4 Likes

If I were a betting man, I’d wager that these girls will be 3 times bigger this time next week. Total cost to put them in the ground, ~$2.25/ea plus my time (800ish hours), at minimum wage that adds about $3/ea, for a grand total of $5.25 per plant so far.

I am so glad that I bought that tiller and bust my rear getting this ground worked up before this rain hit. The soil looks AMAZING! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Well, this rainy weekend made for a great excuse to catch up on some much needed rest. I also dug up some old photos from June 2016 for comparison.

June 13th, 2016

June 17th, 2016

June 21st, 2016

June 30th, 2016 (GG#4 natural growth, no topping)
And…
The most depressing year of my entire 36 years…
Wait for it…
June 15th, 2017…
Don’t judge me…

3 Likes

Dude, I lost four plantings of auto flowers this Spring. Made no changes to my routine but each one was stunted and flowered at about 6" tall. I worked backwards thru the distribution chain all the way to the hybridizer and no one had an answer.
Could the TSA or DEA be irradiating suspect packages?
No matter, sh*t happens. Luckily my Fast strains and now my regulars are going strong.

4 Likes

Brutal… I should have replanted, but this was at a time when people were still strain hoarding and finding a clone supplier wasn’t happening. Now we have greenhouse facilities devoted to clone production for sale. I recieved 4 cold calls from different farms trying to sell clones.

My problem was waterlogging related, fixed that with the hiller this year, though May only saw 1/4" here, which is extremely dry for us. Our fire season is scheduled to start very early this year.

3 Likes

Average rainfall for our area was said to be 0.5", in reality, our local area (via my neighbor’s rain gauge) was 1.5" on the nose.

Quite a bit of water, very similar to what happened in 2017 that killed hundreds and stunted over 1 thousand plants, but this time, with hilled rows, they seemed to soak it all in and benefited from it.

The girls seemed to have enjoyed their 3 day shower of 1.5".

The soil really soaked up the water without it getting waterlogged and muddy.

3 Likes

Is that a predator mite you have there tending to your crops? I don’t recognize the little fellow…

2 Likes

Some sort of crab spider, I believe.

2 Likes

Go crab spider!!!

3 Likes

Their good for hunting larger insects, beetles and things of a similar size. Ladybugs are everywhere eating small pests. As long as the spiders and the ladybugs don’t get into it. Lol

3 Likes

Not everyone is going to get along in nature! As long as everyone is in a united front against aphids, whiteflies, fungus gnats, and spider mites, then we’re all good in the green hood. :grinning:

3 Likes