Cryptocurrency (Bitcoin, Etherium, Potcoin ) for use in Cannabis Industry?

More and more I’m hearing news about Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Litecoin. I’ve come across a few cryptocurrencies relating to the cannabis industry in particular, which I’ll link at the bottom of this post.

The goal of this post is to see whether anyone out there either on the dispensary side or wholesale market side has ever considered doing any business with any cryptocurrencies? Does anyone believe they’d be a good alternative to some of the banking issues the cannabis industry is dealing with?

As a heads up, I’m a little intrigued by cryptocurrency. We just started accepting it on our growing equipment website, growershouse.com. That said, some of our partners are a little hesitant to hold Bitcoin so we’re using a payment processor (Bitpay) to process the payments and convert them to USD within a couple business days and automatically deposit them into our bank account.

Some examples of cannabis focused cryptocurrencies:

1. http://www.potcoin.com/

2. https://paragoncoin.com/login

10 Likes

You could hypothetically use Cryptoeconomics to create a currency tied directly to production of cannabis (similar to gold).

6 Likes

That’s cool that growershouse.com is now accepting bitcoin. The one problem I’ve seen discussed is that it’s pairing one industry that’s on the margins with another one that has issues around legality (taxation, money laundering, etc.) Personally I’m all for cryptocurrencies and the way they can solve banking and censorship issues (e.g. Visa not allowing someone like Wikileaks to accept donations).

5 Likes

Using crypto currencies to purchase in a segment is interesting (GH accepting BTC) but by using microeconomics (digitizing assets) you can create more free market economies and much more secure platforms/apps/systems.

Cannabis would be a fun, very interesting case for gen 2 and 3 crypto.

3 Likes

Source for the curious

5 Likes

I remember when Cannabis, it self, was a currency . I’ve paid for meals, drinks, clothes, video games, ect with nugs.

5 Likes

It can be again

2 Likes

Only problem is the currency degrades a little too quickly, and it’s on the bulky side. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Ergo, cryptoeconomics. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Really proud of your spot on use of the word “ergo”…so rarely is it used effectively. slow clap

5 Likes

Thanks man <3

English is dope

2 Likes

Weed is def still a currency.

3 Likes

Of course, this topic is not new at all, but after a while, all the listed cryptocurrencies have been well introduced into many industries. Now I’m thinking about the prospects of investing in cryptocurrency. I have some savings and I even found a normal exchanger changelly.com/buy/eth where it is possible to buy Ethereum. I would not want my savings to be devoured by inflation. What are your thoughts on long-term cryptocurrency investing in general?

2 Likes

I think a long term view of crypto is very clever, its only going to improve and be more accessible to others. I think its still very undervalued. Its about finding the right currency to back.

2 Likes

Oh, thank you very much for your opinion.

1 Like