Dirty roots during transfer to bloom.(DWC)

The conversation seems to have drifted into the assumption that this is Pythium.
I’m not convince that this is what we’re seeing. Typically Pythium will affect the fine hairy roots as well if not more than the main trunk. The outer portion of the root will slough off and the area would be more expansive and probably brown, the top portion of the plant should be showing some symptoms by now as well. The pics show what more closely resembles some sort of oxidation.
I’m not saying it’s not Pythium, I’m only suggesting we not get tunnel vision and overlook other potential causes. There are other waterborne issues that can look like this and often they are related to PH

3 Likes

Hi Brandan,

You can check to see if the Ag extension office at the University of Alaska. They may be able to check the roots.

Fun article for you that may be of interest https://aem.asm.org/content/75/14/4790

I will be in the Palmer area 11/18 to 11/28 to see my sons new home. I only work for hats and shirts. I am retired and disabled.

One thing I noticed on my son’s water analysis from his deep well is the water is very hard and has a lot of buffering. I am looking at softening his water with a in line Citric Acid filter. When we owned a greenhouse we used food grade phosphoric acid as part of our fertilizer mix to bring the pH down closer to neutral. We would get the water analysis from our city water department monthly.

If I read your note correctly you said a pH of 6? This is on the low side, if this is accurate. You should look at fertilizer with calcium nitrate as the nitrogen source. This can raise the pH. But, buffering capacity of the water is key. I would have to look up the water analysis lab we used in Alaska. There compleated profile test was under $100 and took a couple of days to get a good detailed report.

How are you testing the pH. A pH pen? If you are using a pH pen they have a shelf life of about 6 months to a year with good maintenance.

Warm regards
Ethan

2 Likes

Pythium, shows itself in a varieties of ways. It could be any of a number of things Phytophthora spp. Looks almost the same as Pythium and Fusarium but if I was going to rank them 1, 2, 3

Fusarium, shows more often up in root hairs first.

Pythium, Fusarium and Phytophthora.

2 Likes

@seanmaurice, @kanapefarms, @davidm.msgs and @ethan, you guys are awesome! I love that you were able to take this conversation to a whole new level!

I’m chiming back in here: due to the fact we are seeing neither overt signs of phytotoxicity in the foliage, nor is the rhizosome slimy and stinking, I am circling back to the theory of kelp buildup…especially considering the temporal aspect of the symptoms presenting at exactly the same time during the life of the plants. Thoughts?

1 Like

Easy test is to bilaterally slice the root and look at it under a microscope. I use a scope made in 1912. Still as good as the day it was made. I have a microplaner that is not much younger. But it does not make as good a display.

3 Likes