Does the Farm Bill have implications for you?

The old growers used there tobacco cure barns. It will be interesting to see what a twenty first century dry operation is going to look like for Hemp. Cost is going to dictate the dry. It will have different rules for fiber than food products.

From the voices in my head
Ethan

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see how this plays out. Are you in MO?

3 Likes

Spent the first half of my life in MO. Still have a section in Central Missouri, but happy leased for another ten years. Hopefully the family there will keep making money. I would bet they would grow Hemp.

Now in Minnesota.

Soon bellingham Washington for a nice quite third quarter.

Ethan

2 Likes

Most importantly to me is the offset to the crop tariffs that Hemp growing will bring to farmers w/ marginal profits if that?

2 Likes

I can’t see that as a helping, how do you see that working? I can’t see that on my farm forms. For the big seven yes. But, I can’t see Hemp ever being in that classification.

Botton line is farmers will always be land rich and money poor. You can’t going into farming and hope for more than food on the table and a roof over your head. Your not going to get rich in growing commodies.

From the voices in my head.
Ethan

2 Likes

Angela,

Do you think drying will pose a problem like in WW2? They had lots of fiber rot problems during the war, with crops sent to far from the harvest for drying. Lots of tobacco curing barns where taken over for Hemp curing during the war. I will have to find the links. I think I have already posted a number of them. There are a number of war production reports that looked into how to deal with the problems of getting quality fiber to the rope spinning operations. The rope spinning mill in North st. Louis, had problems with enough high quality fiber for the biggest navy ropes 6 inch rope one mile long.

How are you going to handle Hemp when it becomes a commodity? Or is that built into the equation? How will grading be handled? Like cotton on the quality of the fiber? Just a lot of questions come to mind.

I can see how commodity pricing helps in the non fiber market for recreational and medical markets. But, I only see challenge in the fiber markets. They will be traded on the Chicago board as futures. The first impact will be in paper making. Hemp is a much better source for fiber that trees. This means all big paper is going to get into the business and the forest product companys are going to scream. They will no longer have a market for there C grade wood. We Need a forestry person in here.

Big paper will have to figure out how to manage transportation cost to existing mills. They are already having problems with existing mills and there location.

The secondary fiber markets get even stranger. There is no infrastructure yet in the USA for Hemp in big quantities. The biofule makers will be a great outlet for the waste materials and are in the position to handle it.

What am I missing?

From the voices in my head.
Ethan

3 Likes

Since I am locked out of the recreational cannabis game in Washington state . Seems they would only allow a set number of producers and I don’t see them opening up the small craft grower market, any time soon . Just the idea of growing a few acres of hemp is definitely a light at the end of 45 year long tunnel for me . Man just to be able to grow cannabis out in the open, under full sunlight, is still a big dream . I am a medical caregiver now and just realising that CBD does help my condition, hemp seeds are also so nutritious, and well the list of products that can be made from different parts of this plant are endless. I am full of hope, hope that the USDA doesn’t screw it up too bad, hope that field testing will not put us small farmers in the poor house, hope that we can coexist with the recreational cannabis market. Hope that it does for this country and the planet what we have been planning on for a very long time !!!

2 Likes

Tx for the response Ethan- however I am marginally in the Hemp and cannabis biz. We make a micro-algae based super nutrient. At this moment and for the last year I have been inundated by potential hemp growers. In the beginning weed was the crop to bring prosperity, but there is a much bigger demand for hemp. Because it is the chemical baseof extracts of CBDs because the world believes that CBD’s are the answer to “BigPharma”. Because I am in the margin (I don’t grow or trade or extract) I see the business from high altitude, it is going bonkers Dude.

So many non-farmers want to get into it, I have buyers that want to buy existing grows and buyer that want land to grow.

So that’s my talking voices from the hinterlands of the mid west!!

Best to you!

3 Likes

Do you see a bubble like mania?

I am a Midwest farm kid at heart. I see a lot of non farmers thinking how hard can it be to be a farmer. Buy some land, plow the growned and plant seed and harvest in fall.

It feels like the flower children of the 60’s all went to horticulture school and became land Rich in greenhouses until the 1973 oil crisis.

I have no doubt Hemp for fiber and oil will make money, but I think it will be more commodity based. The Chicago Board of Trade is talking Hemp futures.

No offense for the voices in my head. It really is reference to Issac Azamov who said the the running dialog of voices in my head helps me solve complex problems in chemistry. I think he actually barrowed the expression from Yiddish. Since Einstein and Faude and my father used the expression when deeply thinking about an ideas in science and philosophy.

So…

פון די קולות אין מיין קאָפּ.

fun di kulus in meyn kop.

Warm regards

Ethan

Ethan Kayes

2 Likes

Just to play devil’s advocate, since they are now placing CBD under the jurisdiction of the FDA will this affect hemp’s availability?

2 Likes

I don’t think CBD will be regulated by the FDA, at worst it will get a food supplement label and they will enforce stands and misleading claims of cures.

The FDA already says they want no part of regulating THC accept in possible ultra pure forms for pharmaceutical usage.

So only time will tell.

I think banking is going to be the biggest change. To much money not going through traditional economic pathways and it has a bigger impact. I could see regs as early as the first week of the year from the federal reserve on ACH transactions for cannabis money. Then banking opens up quickly after that. There looks to be a new set of transaction classes for the Economist to track for impact to economy.
So I will get my blue book in January and we will know. The sanfransisco district first.

2 Likes

I thought the Washington post had posted an article stating the FDA implied any CBD product now requires testing as a drug but can’t seem to find the article now.

If that’s the case(only food supplement label) I am a little more excited about the possibilities, greenhouse operations for CBD rich clones to go into field production had appealed to me.

3 Likes

Please look. That would be the type of article in my news feed normally.

2 Likes

I enjoy your perspective- Hope you and yours have a happy and peaceful holiday. I have to drop off phones and internet thru New years, I am getting screamed at for always being on the fone or net. Be well!

3 Likes

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm628988.htm

3 Likes

Thank you I missed this one. It is going to be a wait and see.

2 Likes

Thank you @jondougal,

May you have a happy and sweet new year.

Would like to understand more about what you do after the new year

Ethan.

3 Likes

You definitely cannot smell the difference, i sampled some hemp flower the other day named “Trump” and it had a pungent aroma of skunk mixed with baby poo

3 Likes

It also has a slightly orange color. And is very difficult in the grow as it does not get along with any of the other plants in the grow.

People also complain about the very small flower size.

Ethan

2 Likes

I use the term hemp only in definition, this flower appeared as any high thc crop would, and was grown for flower to smoke, it was a high cbd flower and had good flavor. It came from a 20,000 lb flower harvest that was dried and trimmed for smoking and was priced accordingly

3 Likes