Entomologists! What is this insect?

Entomologists!
Found on F2 Calihari Kush Outdoor Breeding Seed Plant_Humboldt County_Stress Garden
Please take a look at this video. We found this in our drought resistant breeding experiment. It was grown and outdoor and is phenotype hunted under drought conditions. This video was taken at approximately 80X with a iPhone7 camera attached to microscope.

/original/2X/f/f498e8b1151234949f579ba0a57c4026a5ddf721.MOV

We found something we cannot identify. What do you think it is?

3 Likes

Tagging @Hunter @ARBICO @ethan

2 Likes

Looks a lot like a worker termite that just hatched from the cocoon. The thorax and abdomen are fused, so it’s definitely not an ant.

4 Likes

Not positive but it sure looks like an immature aphid. Take a look at this page: The Very Strange Science of Aphids

5 Likes

Hi there! This is a globular springtail. Probably not causing any harm. -Arianna Taylor

https://bugguide.net/node/view/258368

5 Likes

I love this place. Thanks @ARBICO! Keep up the great work!

3 Likes

Anybody else think the little guy is kinda cute?
Maybe I’ll adopt one for my next pet.

5 Likes

It’s cuter than some kids I’ve seen. Do they eat fungus gnats? I’d adopt a whole pack of em!

3 Likes

lol they are hella cute

5 Likes

Look at those eyes!! It’s like he’s calling to me!! Freaking adorable!!

How much is that globular springtail in the window?

5 Likes

they don’t look very “springy”! Lol

2 Likes

I bet they spring like the adorable tiny champs they are!

1 Like

Here is the next one… We believe this is a beneficial mite, previously known as Hypoaspis and now Stratiolaelaps. Any thoughts?
/original/2X/a/a5b717229da009cd1d5f1ee365d6e509b475fc75.MOV

3 Likes

I second this diagnosis. They look like H. miles(Stratiolaelaps scimitus) to me.

3 Likes

I third this, looks spot on.

2 Likes

I just helped a friend diagnose Russet Mites. I feel dirty now. :weary:

3 Likes

Google Reverse Image search agrees:
https://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi:AMhZZisqhNjK-NbIVy4BZMC2SBOEe0avreDh0wyVsdkouo41AkzP4q2O7CO2ZhFdDNa4twiTTn_1avRQKu1wBFF3SlkHTe_1dJA9AG_1uTJDHEFGZr60PTTwV_1Cf0VD1zmG9burJq86r00PD8PvERWUvKOSyoohRaAFVZ8c6Gx0xvbDoixw_13tagrHksercuALSj2AY9fSr3WVHziK5TJae78W9MSDANTikrnzDzXnoNfTTtE1lgi3EBLWAMxrIubIl50DuRXR-Egk09MKbt04yVpJqCBIIao0kLb_1r63VZ6t2q1eGY2piz2e7Wy8yTw7Dm9KXDxVU6fRyDXZ-kmynJzlFz1IYGU1Bcfw&hl=en

3 Likes

Nice job GNET! Ask and ye shall receive an abundance of intelligent responses!

@Farmer_Dan, if you feel dirty from your diagnostic endeavors, it’s because you ARE, in fact, very dirty! Go somewhere far far away from your beautiful farm and BURN every stitch of clothing that may have graced those tiny demons that have been sent directly from hell to destroy cannabis!

1 Like

Clothes went straight in the wash, I took a shower and had no need to see my girls for at least 3 days. :wink:

1 Like