Estteck led's with optics may actually work in a 4 ft canopy

I think I have finally found a led that will work on a deep canopy!! Leo stone is pumped and spent money to test a couple himself. I think if all gos well this crop I’ll buy a couple and run them in my breeding chamber at first until I can buy more for the flower room to use with the cmh and eventually stop using the hps tho I may keep one for going for ztarburzt she sure frosts up better under the hps it seems

5 Likes

@devjyarn what do you think about this light, sounds like I’ll get 3.5-4 ft penetration with the optic lense they have patented. That would replace my hps and mh (still keeping the cmh for uv tho) a guy in nevada gets 6 lb per 1000w with the combo I’m completely convinced he’s selling no b.s. I got just over 4.5 lb with a 1000w hps with that munson from dominion

5 Likes

Diffused light that is coming at the canopy from all directions penetrates deeper.

Imagine the light-energy is like snowflakes. If snow falls straight down on the plants it will cover only the surfaces that are exposed to the sky.

If snow comes down from all kinds of angles, it will work itself deeper into the canopy and cover more of the plant.

The reason HPS are so good at penetrating the canopy is that they are usually mounted so high up that the light coming from the reflectors comes out at wide angles; some of the light goes straight down and some are able to sneak out at angles because it is so high up from the canopy. Those photons that come at the canopy from an angle can get to leaves that are not directly below the light.

LEDs without optics shoot their photons mostly down.

With optics, the LEDs can be spread across 90* to 120* usually, which lets them act more like HPS.

I’m just paraphrasing some of the latest stuff I’ve heard from Dr. Bruce Bugbee about cannabis lighting, hopefully it helps!

5 Likes

What models are you looking at hoppie? Ive been looking around for some high power LEDs as well and would love to explore all my options

I’ll have to check , I saw them on ig (it’s back up someone tried to shut it down again td they are getting fast at putting it back up now a days tho) I’ll check for ya in a bit just have some chores to do

3 Likes

If I remember right there is nothing at all new about this. When all the blurples came out they all had either 60 or 120 degree lenses. The only thing that has changed from the early days is the color of the diodes, which I always felt were wrong and not natural when they were blurple. The theory was that if you gave them only light in the spectrum they most used for photo synthesis it would save energy. I hated them and the plants didn’t like them much either lol.

1 Like

You’re right, the optics aren’t anythimg new, but the diodes behind them are. Those blurples are more of a toy than a tool!

My 20 year old car’s headlight lenses are pretty much the same material as cars made today, but those xenon and LED bulbs in modern cars make so much more light that they can hardly be compared.

Diode tech has come a long way in a very short time.

3 Likes

And again you are 100% right. Been running LED lights on my cars for years used to be expensive not anymore and the light output is amazing.

1 Like