Experienced in hydro now in dirt

I was all hydro for the last 3 years I am pretty well versed in how to grow in that manor. now I’m in dirt. it’s been 2 months and I have turned this grow op around, but still have some issues. one strain that continues to show potassium and magnesium deficiency, I’ve upped the amount by 20% of potassium and 15% for magnesium. its been 6 days and no change. should I up the amount or give it more time? I just don’t know how long it takes with dirt to see changes and I’m trying to stay on top of issues and not create any more.

4 Likes

Welcome to growers network.
Have you checked the pH of your runoff?
That’s always the first question. At least it always seems to be.
Pictures are always helpful also.

5 Likes

sorry for leaving out that bit of info. and thanks for reminding me … the last time I checked about 4 days ago it was 7.8… I checked a few minutes ago and its 7.2
I am trying to keep it around 7.
my next step is to buy a Bluelab Pulse Multimedia EC/MC Meter. I hope with this I can better track the situation

4 Likes

u have ben growing longer than me but i am a master screw up. i chased mag deficiency until someone told me that toxicity looks exactly the same! it took longer than 6 days to correct. flushed and reset at 6.8ph and all was good

5 Likes

Yeah I would definitely bring the pH down closer to 6.5 for sure. At least below seven. On average.

7 Likes

Are you growing with leds? If you’re using high powered leds you should be doing hydro so you can feed them more often. Or else you might have to raise those lights… They might be over working your leaves. :v:t3:

4 Likes

I’ve been growing soil for 6 years. You’re going to love the Terpene profile and the high.

What I’ve noticed is typically 1-2 weeks you’ll notice a change in plants. Also remember those strains and with soil you’ll have to anticipate what to put in

I know if I throw my girls in soil I have 3-4 weeks sometimes longer depending on soil before deficiencies show. So a week before or 2 start nutrients or feed them nutrient just light and up dosage.

Typical issue with soils CAL, Mag deficiency and potassium same. Strain also varies.
Ph is an issue also. I keep mine anywhere from 6.4-6.7.

5 Likes

awesome. thanks for this info. the 1-2 weeks is what i was wondering about. the anticipation and trying not to over or under compensate is what i worry about. but I’ve been doing pretty good at restraining my self.

4 Likes

@djshua77 , welcome to GN. Drop your pH a little, the sweet spot is ilke @happilyretired says, 6.5. In soilless its a little bit lower than that. Welcome again.

2 Likes

update… dropping my ph and keeping it around 6.7 has really helped i have noticed much happier plants. thanks for all the advice it really helped. … … my next problem (not really) i was cloning like crazy for 2 days and now im running out of room for all the clones. out of 250 i have 247 that have been moved to dirt and are already taking off. I was not thinking that the survival rate would be this high.
ps im on a satellite internet service and have limited data so i cant up load photos. will travel to town soon and upload some pics .

4 Likes

I am eager to see!

2 Likes

my veg room . and the last one is my flower 1 room going on week 5.

4 Likes

That’s a full-time job right there. :+1:t3:

1 Like