Expert cautions people with heart problems about using cannabis | CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/medical-marijuana-cannabis-heart-condition-1.4696320 This is actually a very balanced article that makes some very good points.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing… totally gave me a “no wonder” moment…

2 Likes

I think this is “Fake News” The Feds-DEA have been trying to show negative affects (including driving impairment) with endless “Studies” that can show nothing or prove the opposite outcome from what they were trying to prove and were “buried” or denied for decades as they have been almost desperate to have bad health MMJ propaganda

Well…I am going to step up and call you out right to your face that it is NOT fake news.

1 Like

I believe this personally. Why won’t the AMA or the Feds accept this info on cannabis as only “anecdotal”? I am a cancer survivor at least partly due to MMJ. One of the first things I realized is how mistreated and denied the population has been thanks to Govt policy repressing all it could for decades. So we need the science or the official powers that be won’t believe.

I appreciate your reply, and even though we are “on the same side” I have seen too many times when fake news or connotations about cannabis have permeated (sometimes unconsciously) the thinking of both politicians and activists-D. Seber

I think there are a couple of points to take note of here -

“Schecter, who also holds a fellowship in hospital medicine and is an active hospitalist at the Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre in Barrie, Ont., suggests cannabis can have troublesome effects on people with unstable heart conditions.”

He holds a fellowship, on a professional level it would be a liability to directly recommend THC due to the lack of medical recognition. He later talks about the benefits of CBD, because he is allowed to without liability.
Also, note the word “suggests”. This non-definitive language is consistent throughout the interview, he’s never able to site any studies either.

“It can cause what we call tachycardia, which is an increase in your heart rate.”

This also happens every single time i take my Salbutamol puffer for my Asthma, which is prescribed by a doctor and is commonly prescribed to people with heart issues. Why does Cannabis poise a different view?

“It can also cause peripheral vasodilation, which means your veins and your arteries can dilate and drop your blood pressure,” said Schecter."

Just like aspirin and coffee? Aspirin has been shown to be beneficial to people with heart issues and caffeine is one of the most consumed substances on earth, which is a natural byproduct of many consumable plants.

It’s also important to note that he has a financial interest in Cannabis, another reason for him to make these statements as a medical professional for risk of losing his license over providing alternative medicine.

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s propaganda. There’s a bunch of case studies from hospitals of individuals who come in with tachycardia or other coronary issues after using cannabis.

The question really is how big is the effect, and what exactly causes it (and how)?

2 Likes

I have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy [“HCM”] which is the most common of cardiac birth defects. My healthcare providers are at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, a top five cardiac hospital in the United States. I have have very candid conversations with my cardiologist about the topic, and can confirm hat it is a risk they monitor.