First time grow medium question

@PreyBird1 made me realize about the censorship concerning illicit drugs on the forum. Every time I tried to mention the L. S. D. strain I grew last summer, I was flagged!!

2 Likes

Yeah and I said I am sorry… that’s my fault I will see if we can get it lifted… I do feel bad…

2 Likes

Don’t worry about it! Now that we know it’s easy to workaround :nerd_face:

Nope…I worked it around to… but we shouldn’t have to… I sent a PM… I want them lifted… and it wasn’t my intention… Lets see where this goes… I actually will play nice…lol…

3 Likes

Bravo @Ladithief, it looks like you were successful!

1 Like

@devjyarn, @kapouic, @Ladithief

Thank you for the info! Sorry I took a hiatus from here for a couple days but I was doing lots of research about the things you’ve talked about and suggested/recommended. My confidence has grown a lot in regards to the vegetative and flowering stages. I think I’ve decided on a grow medium and a nutrient regimen. There’s one thing I’m afraid I’ve overlooked until now that I could use some help with:

After germination when the plant is a “seedling” before vegetative stage. I haven’t done a lot of research in that area yet. Here is my rough plan as of now…germinate in Rockwool or peat pellets, transfer into small pot for “seedling stage,” transfer into autopot XL buckets once reaching vegetative stage. I’m assuming I would use the same medium in the seedling stage as I intend to use for the vegetative and flowering stages. However, I’m going with a coco, perlite, myco blend so my biggest questions are how much and of what nutrients do I feed the plant during this “fragile” stage? Again I need direction specifically between germination and vegetative stages. Any insight, amendments, ideas, or things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Imo, it looks like you have a sound plan already. For feeding, the other growers would give you better advice than me ( i don’t know much yet). But It’s the first time I’ve seen those autopot, so I would be concerned that the “feeding solution” in the reservoir would spoil after a while without aeration. (I’m just thinking out loud). So you would have to make sure that your nutrient line supports staying suspended in water for a while… :face_with_monocle:
Also, you might want to plan ahead on the way you’re going to train/shape your plants. Have some gardening ties or whatever ready and start early. It gets out of control real fast, those little plants are vigorous usually :nerd_face:

@kapouic

Yes, I will be aerating the reservoir and I also will be using the screen of green LST training technique!

1 Like

I’m sorry if this is obvious to you, but I don’t know how much you know or are comfortable with. And I would not want to insult you with the obvious stuff.
Before getting to your screen of green, you will still need to shape your plants if you want a full canopy.
You can do that by low-stress training, fimming, topping and supercropping (that I know of…)

1 Like

Which nutrients are you going to be running with the Coco/perlite mix? The manufacturer will usually have a chart that will advise how strong of a feeding to give plants at any given stage of life. I’d feel comfortable feeding them about 250 ppm/0.5 EC up until they’re about 6" tall.

Yes, use the same medium throughout.

1 Like

@devjyarn

I plan on mainly using advanced nutrients‘ products. There are 1-2 other products I’ve seen that are intriguing and I may try them but for the most part I’ll be sticking with the advanced nutrients stuff. I did find a feeding schedule on their website but from what I could see it’s only for veg through flower and nothing about seedling stage. I wouldn’t think I’d be using the same dosages that they list since the plant is a lot smaller and not quite developed. Thank you for the ppm/EC numbers.

@kapouic

None of this stuff is obvious to me haha. I’m just trying to be a sponge right now. I truly appreciate all of the help! Y’all were right in saying there are a lot of nice people on here willing to help! Sorry if I come off dry. I tend to “sound” that way on forums. I’m just more of a straight to the point kind of person I guess.

2 Likes

No, no,don’t worry, you did not come off dry at all, but sometimes it’s hard finding how much a person knows and I don’t want to step on any toes! :wink:
I also use Advanced Nutrients products. Don’t go crazy trying to PH your feeding solution when you use AN, it’s supposed to adjust itself…I have never had an issue while using AN and I never Ph my feedings. But then again, I am far from being an expert grower. And no, they don’t have anything for the seedling stage…But I’m sure @devjyarn can suggest something! :nerd_face:
This was his suggestions to me : The plants need a weak nutrient solution as soon as they get their first true leaves. It can be foliar or soil fed. Seaweed is your friend at this stage.

1 Like

If you’re following Advanced’s feed chart for their coco nutes, I’d just follow their nutrition schedule at 1ml of each until the plants are about 6" tall. Most manufacturers call “week 1” of veg when the clones have developed just enough roots to be transplanted. A seedling can use the same nutrition, but could benefit from some beneficials like seaweed, b vitamins, etc. https://www.advancednutrients.com/products/ph-perfect-sensi-coco-grow-ab/

1 Like