First time grower, trimming and care tips

Afternoon all! First time posting and wondering if I can get some assistance with my first attempt at home growing.
I have three seedlings and two clones in my 2 x 4 grow tent with an in-line duct fan. The clone on the left is doing OK so far and growing really well, but the one on the right rude boy is looking a little bit weird. Not sure if I’m not pruning and trimming correctly, and to be honest I’m not sure where else to trim or prune right now. Any help would be amazing and I would be grateful. The ceilings looked OK for the moment but open to any tips or feedback if you guys see anything there too!

6 Likes

Welcome to GN.

Neither of the plants look bad to me. Every plant grows different, even when it’s the same strain. Is there a specific thing you’re seeing that I’m not? I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will jump in with a better eye as well.

3 Likes

Thanks! The drooping was my biggest worry, and wasn’t sure if I should cut the lowest stems growing out since they are so low and could be getting minimal light due to being under the top level

1 Like

What are you growing in? Is that cocoa?

You could trim off the bottom ones anytime. As you said they will be wasted later on anyway

1 Like

Welcome to GN.
What is your watering/feeding schedule? Your medium looks dry in the video.

1 Like

Thanks all! It’s cocoa perlite, and surprisingly I water every other day, and use big bloom every other watering. But the top soil drys out quickly. Even with 50% humidity average in my office ( without a humidifier). I’m keeping the temp at about 74

1 Like

Also, Is there a way to prevent the branches from growing in a Y pattern? The one on the right has split into a Y and I don’t want the branches to get do heavy it causes a split

1 Like

I’m running coco in this one and it’s needed water every other to every day

4 Likes

I’ve always watered every day at least in cocoa. Just in fear of it drying out to much.

2 Likes

Hi @livebythecreed

Welcome to GN and thanks for posting your grow. All is looking good in your grow room. I can see the first plant on the left has a deficiency on the left. You can see the leaves are yellowing, could be a sign of Nitrogen deficiency, especially in its growth period. However it could be something else. Give us more info? Are you taking pH measurements of your water? What is your feeding schedule? No need to trim or prune anything.

2 Likes

Hope this video helps, I’ll definitely switch to almost every day watering now due to coco perlite! The seedlings are still in organic soil ( well 2 of them ) I was afraid of nitrogen deficiency in rudeboy on the left, but when I looked up how rudeboy looks, almost everyone’s has the same traits. Slightly yellowing, really prominent leaf lines, and the top leaves are closer to yellow than the bottom. So wasn’t sure!

2 Likes

Love the labels in the video! Do you pH after adding the nutes?

1 Like

Thanks! Usually I don’t but I did today and it definitely jumped up pretty high I’m not sure if that’s bad for them

2 Likes

When I first started growing it was similar. I tried to trim as minimal as I can. If You let it go like that you’ll run out of overhead space depending on the flip.

You can keep vids or pics of now and compare to future grow. You could always tie down some branches or throw it under a trellis net. You’ll add a little more veg time but with fimming or topping you’ll have a beautiful looking conopy.

The other reason is yield. Might get you a little extra something. My go to is a trellis.

2 Likes

Always PH after adding your nutes!

1 Like

I personally wait until it has 5-6 sets of branches with nodes. Cutoff the bottom one or 2 branches with nodes, let it keep growing. Once I get a couple more grow nodes on the top. I always top my plants.

Then I let them recoup a bit and finish veg. This is what topping them does. Instead of one main cola you have several.

1 Like