Growers Network was created as a resource for adults in the cannabis industry.

Please verify your age to enter.

For those curious about what the heck Chelation is

Like most of you on here, the black hole of at home cannabis cultivation has taken me prisoner. I can’t get enough of it. I’ve never been the most patient person in the room either so to medicate my anxiousness for my first harvest, all I’ve been doing after work and basically with any free time that i have is reading articles, forum threads, even a couple science journals here and there. Still can’t get enough haha.

Anyway, one of the words that keeps popping up in all of the research I’ve been doing is “Chelation” (pronounced key-lay-shun). Its popped up on a few threads here lately, or at least topics related to chelation, but I couldn’t find a good explanation. I turned to my trusted, tried and true Maximum Yield website for a quick fix and they delivered with two really good articles. The first one I’ll post is a little bit easier to read. The second one is much more dense. Reading the first one is a good primer for the second.

Chelation is basically a way to protect valuable micronutrients from being bio unavailable, due to flushing or bonding with other charged particles that then make them into something the plants can’t use. Chelating agents bond with your metal ions (calcium, magnesium, copper, etc) and carry them to root hairs to be absorbed by the plant. The cool thing is, when this process is done they don’t just go away. They go back into the medium to search for other metal ions, put their “shell” around them and head back towards the roots. I tried to think of a good analogy and the best I could come up with is this. Chelating Agents are like Ushers at church, concerts, sports games, arena/stadium events, etc. When you enter an arena (soil medium or hydroponic environment) you are there to be entertained by whatever it is that you want to see (the plant). If we didn’t have ushers to show us to our seats, everybody would likely head straight to the front row. Chaos would ensue. Some of us (the nutrients) get punched in the face and become unconscious, missing the show, some of us decide to just leave because the chaos isn’t worth it, some of us get pushed up into the nose bleed sections where the show is barely worth seeing (adding in a little drama if you can’t tell haha). But having ushers ensures us that we get to our seats that we paid for in a peaceful, unobstructed, organized way. When they are done showing us to our seats, they head to the section entrance and help someone else. Ushers are chelating agents.

Chelation ensures that the nutrients you feed your plants will stay bio available and eventually be absorbed by your plants. Sounds synthetic, which there are quite a few synthetic chelating agents out there, but there are many ways this happens organically. All of this is explained in these articles in detail. I just wanted to share a basic overview of what I comprehended and learned this morning. If I’m wrong in any way, please feel free to amend this thread! Happy growing!

5 Likes

Yes, I know what it is :wink: and I liked the way you explained it, you explained it well for a first timer and I think that is key

Well done, cheers :beers:

stay golden …

5 Likes

Great job explaining Chelation @treycer11! Your on top of it gaining as much knowledge as you can. I really like the way you broke it down. :+1:
Thanks for the articles!!

5 Likes

Now, That’s an explanation!

5 Likes

@piper @Tygrow78

Thank you for the kind words! Like I said I can’t stop reading about this stuff. I’m hooked! You all have been a great aid in feeding my curious cannabis cultivation sponge! I try to absorb as much as I can and share for other beginner level growers like me. Can’t wait to actually have some experience and results under my belt!

@kapouic haha thanks for the love and gif! And thank you for all the direction on here. You seem to keep up with everybody pretty well! GN should put you on staff for this site as the official navigator lol

5 Likes

You’ll do great farmer!!!

read the plant … be the plant … smoke the plant …

5 Likes

Sage words of advice right there. :point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2::point_up_2:

5 Likes

Cannabis is like chess… simple to grow… you do NOT have to over think it…but it is difficult to master and you CAN complicate it as much as you like as long as you understand… and have masterful grows…

5 Likes

I’m in the same situation as you! I’m learning a lot and only do my part by trying to help those I can. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

@Ladithief I try not to overthink or over complicate things. I tend to have an issue with that though ha. But I’ve been burdened with a curious mind. Always have to dig into what, why, and how until I hit rock! Ha

4 Likes

I started out simple then learned living soil and each outdoor season go deeper into the living soil world…lol…indoor is just nutes and keep strains alive until the next season…

2 Likes

@Ladithief I’ve actually been doing quite a bit of reading on living soils. I can’t grow outdoors yet. Or I guess, technically, I can I’m just trying to keep my neighbors who may not agree in mind. But I’ve been thinking about using living soils when starting an indoor auto grow. So I’m looking into ingredients for putting together a living soil/compost pile. I have family that raise Alpacas and they’ve told me their compost is awesome. So I’ve been trying to research a formula to substitute their composted manure instead of a normal soil or whatever and see how that may turn out. What are some of the big ideas/concepts I should research when it comes to living soils?

2 Likes

I can give you my recipe… just change out the compost… and this book is a must…

as well as all of Jeff Lowenfels books “Teaming with…”

3 Likes

That would be great! And thank you for the suggested readings! That should keep me occupied for a while!

2 Likes

@Ladithief I just started following your outdoor living soil thread. Looking forward to learning from it.

2 Likes

Give me some time I will get it to you in a a day or so at most… it’s not readily handy… I will PM it to you when I find it again…

3 Likes