Get to know the community - John Shute

Here’s the fourth in our “get to know the community” interview series, where we interview @john_shute about his experience working as a marketer in the cannabis industry.

Tell us a bit about yourself

My name is John Shute. I’m from New Jersey and currently live in Colorado. I’ve lived all over the country over the past 5 years. I have an MBA with a specialization in project management. I’m getting married in a month and just started my own marketing agency called PufCreativ.

How did you get your start in the industry?

I’ve always been a major advocate for marijuana. I believe it is an extraordinary alternative to many prescription drugs. I believe there is an addiction epidemic going on in our country and it’s being ignored for the most part. I had a revelation one day that I could make a huge difference in this world through the cannabis industry. I got a job as the marketing director for a company and now have taken the ball and run with it. My mission and goal has been to educate the masses on the endless possibilities of cannabis.

What are your marketing tips for working in the cannabis industry?

My marketing tip is to be as creative as possible. I think many cannabis companies are producing the same type of content. You need to be distinct and educate viewers and followers on what makes your product so special. Advertising collaborations with major companies like Weedmaps, showing you utilize lab testing, and being a part of the cannabis community are key ingredients to success.

What’s it like working at White Rabbit?

Working with White Rabbit is great, and although I still work for them at the moment, I’ve created my own marketing agency to expand my network, not only in the cannabis industry, but in all industries. White Rabbit has taught me a lot of what I know about the cannabis industry. Their product types are the future of the industry.

Who are your mentors and inspiration in the cannabis industry?

My mentors or inspirations in the industry have to be Weedmaps, Leafly, my friend Drew London who writes for Marijuana.com, Ben and Carter from Gateway Incubator and my client Robby Flannery who is the first PhD cannabis grower in the United States.

What are your hobbies and interests to relax after work?

I have too may hobbies and interests, which is why I’ve met so many amazing people over the years and started my own company, or network I guess you would say. My hobbies include music, extreme sports, yoga, the gym and a good movie.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge John and congrats on your upcoming wedding and new business launch!

Check out John’s video on micro-dosing and stress relief on the White Rabbit blog. Reply to this topic with any questions you have for John around marketing in the cannabis industry.

4 Likes