GN Poll: Seeds or Clones?

What’s your preference for your starts? Seeds or Clones? Both have their advantages, both have their drawbacks. Let’s chat about what our @memberdirectory prefers.

I prefer to start with:

• Seeds
  • Clones

0 voters

5 Likes

Speaking as a hobbyist home grower, I like seeds. I find they are easier to top and train since the early nodes are evenly spaced and the element of uncertainty and variation between the plants is fun to observe. However, I can totally understand how that uncertainty is not desirable for commercial growers.

7 Likes

As a commercial grower, I need all of my plants sexually mature and the same size on the day I need them. This way I get even canopies of one strain so my lighting can be at the optimum height for the whole crop. Pheno hunting and sexing is done by the cloners.

8 Likes

I prefer clones unless I’m searching for a new strain. As a caregiver my patient usually request a certain type of meds, so to keep it consistent to their needs I take clones from a mother plant. I do like to pop new seeds to find new strains, It can be a little time consuming because of the pheno hunt and also can increase plant count because I try to keep a cut from each female so I can run the pheno I select for future grows.

5 Likes

Doesn’t it depend on your goals? Seeds are good for introducing genetic variability and selecting for attractive traits. Once the genetics are dialed-in, clones keep an operation more efficient since all the plants behave alike.

4 Likes

It really depends. Most of my favorite strains are clone only and not easy to talk them into sharing.
If at all possible, I try to find regular seeds and request breeders to offer more regular seeds.
K

3 Likes

As said before, that choice definitely depends on the goals and what is needed.
If seeds were f4 or 5, and very homegenious, then I’d prefer seeds, because I feel you get better vigor. However, having the exact same stock every time is key, without variation.

4 Likes

Really awesome point regarding the filial generation and the vigor you gain form garnering a true F1. Thanks for the call-out!

1 Like