GN Poll: Soil or Hydro?

Now that you’ve gotten a few grows under your belt, maybe you might help us to understand your methods. So what medium do you prefer, soil or hydro? Take the poll below!

The medium/method I prefer is:

• Soil
  • Hydroponics

0 voters

3 Likes

I like growing in both but I prefer hydro. I like the immediacy of hydro and knowing exactly what I’ve given the plant. I like that I can recover a plant as quickly as a problem arises, and now that I have a few grows under my belt, I feel pretty confident I can fix just about any problem in short order.

In soil I actually (ironically) feel more disconnected from the plant… I tend to treat issues in soil like hydro… flush and reset.

I primarily use dirt for outdoors now. I switched from keeping my moms in dirt to using coco/perlite instead, which coincides with my hydro feeding schedule better.

8 Likes

Where’s soilless in the vote? That’s my preferred medium.

6 Likes

Probably for this, the type of soil-less you do might be closest to soil.

You haven’t graduated to flood and drain tables yet, have you?

5 Likes

No, and won’t. With my back and not having “leak” support, I will stay away from hydro except dwc until Mike retires and can help a little more.

And my opinion is that soilless is more like hydro than soil :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Yes, that is right, it is all about how you feed it.

Think about Black Thumb Betty and all that chaos, at first, lol.

4 Likes

And that’s almost every time, lol

2 Likes

I remember well, lol

2 Likes

Speaking of which, @Growernick apparently grows in coco with highly organic amendments and is growing living soil. Hootie might want to venture over and have a look.

5 Likes

Are there journals here? Where would one find that, specifically?

1 Like

@pomeroymc would you like to share with us what it is you like about using coco over soil in your style of growing?

2 Likes

I don’t officially use coco, but the reason I originally switched to ProMix HP, which is primarily sphagnum peat moss and perlite, was due to the fact that I burnt my first grow pretty bad not having a clue that hot soil might still have some active ingredients during the flowering phase.

One thing I like is how easy it is to water to approximately 15%-20% runoff which provides mini flushes each time, but the biggest benefit for me is having the control of what my plant gets and when.

I gotta admit, I also like that I kind of get hydro benefits with the rapid growth I see in ProMix HP versus soil.

6 Likes

Nice! Good Drain To Waste practice.

2 Likes

Thanks, yeah, just not an actual table, lol

1 Like

The chaos was with others not understanding my method. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: My organic Promix grows kick butt, thank you very much, contrary to what that stupid Promix video would try to tell me. :sunglasses:

My problem was with spritzing my seedlings’ leaves, not with my medium. Lesson very well learned.

6 Likes

I chose soil, but I grow in a mostly soilless medium consisting of 50% Promix BX, 25% perlite, and 25% FFHF. I like having the control of a soilless medium, while at the same time being able to use organic soil methods with great success. Incidentally, using Earth Juice and tons of microbes allows a pH range of 6.2-7.0 in my medium.

I want to switch to coco, eventually, solely for environmental reasons (digging up peat releases so much carbon). Definitely not next season, but maybe in 2021.

6 Likes

Hey @Growernick… you know I am diving deep into living soil… do you have any suggestions…possibly where I might be lacking in your opinion… I am just waiting to start composting which is about 3-4 weeks away… by dropping straw down and top dressing with bokashi… worm beds are when I get around to it…lol…

6 Likes

I love ebb and flow. Just finished my first dirt/soil indoor grow and was extremely impressed.

Dirt gives you some wiggle room imo, but slower to see improvements if something’s off compared to ebb

Packee

8 Likes

If you have not yet set up a worm bin, I strongly urge you to start there. You’ll be amazed at how much work a red wriggler can do for you

6 Likes

Yes I usually get worms locally (red wriggler specifically)… I am using castings and a month away maybe from getting a worm bed and vermiposting… but thank you for the advice…

6 Likes