GroBucket Test Group - device makes 5 gallon buckets self-watering

@jtobidon no problem. I went ahead and shortened it by 2 inches and it fit nice!!

1 Like

5 Likes

If anyone is interested, I’m running an air stone experiment while waiting on my ladies to get ready for transplant. All buckets labeled have Nutrients and all PH levels at 6.50, with 840 ppm in distilled water. Right front- air pump set at 15 minutes on, 15 off. Left front- 24 hours on. Left rear- No air. Right rear spare.

7 Likes

I am super interested in your results!!! @nacho151.

5 Likes

just up-potted my Egyptian Musk [#3] to GroBuckets

• these ladies will be kept as Moms after making S1 seeds
    as you can see they are root bound already…

I will let them do their stretch and add to the soil level as they grow…

the tall purple lady[?] [AKA the Bad Girl from 2020] gets cut tomorrow and then put in the 3rd GroBucket to veg as a mom…

5 Likes

Love the idea of using them for your moms!!! Can you explain the stretching of the ladies? I am intrigued with the process…

2 Likes

these ladies are a cut-only strain - I got them 4 weeks ago
they will stretch ~2X in the next 4 weeks since they are up-potted now.
here’s what they looked like 4 weeks ago :peace_symbol:

6 Likes

Interesting Day 1 readings.

4 Likes

@nacho151 yes very!!

2 Likes

@rootfarmer. Ok I get it the plant stretches. I was thinking it had to do with the roots.

3 Likes

Day 2 readings.

1 Like

My GroBuckets were delivered yesterday. I was checking them out and set one up in an empty bucket.

I realized that if I can’t get in from the sides of a tent to water that my watering wand was to big for the fill tube. So here is my fix for watering plants in the rear of the tent.

I took an exacto knife and trimmed a small hole to hit a 1/2 inch irrigation tube in it.

Inserted tube in it.

Made sure the Level Indicator would slide up and down.
Added a barbed elbow to it.

Drilled 2 holes that I could slide a zip tie though to keep the tubing from hanging up on the Water Level Indicator.

Assembled it.

Tested it.

Works great!
I’m going to run run the irrigation tubing to the front of the tent and label them. To see the Water Level Indicators, I plan to have them facing towards the center middle of the tent. I would have preferred 3/8 tubing for this modification, but I used what I had on hand.

5 Likes

Hey, there thanks so much for the photos. Wondering if there’s a reason you don’t fill the buckets all the way near the top? Remember I’m still learning…

3 Likes

Not sure this will help, but I’ve copied and pasted a post from one of our Facebook “GroTech Garden Group” growers. He’s the one who had 100 buckets hooked to irrigation out in his Alaskan greenhouse. This post was re: indoor growing:

GroBucket central irrigation example, part 3. Here, I have used a 5 gallon bucket as a water/nutrient reservoir instead of a hose bib or trash can reservoir as the source. The control bucket is the same one as I used outdoors. Perfectly scaled for an indoor grow. The reservoir and control bucket do use quite a bit of valuable space and the system could be significantly optimized. In case you are wondering what I am up to? I grow in zone 1B. I have to finish most peppers indoors, so these were plucked from my outdoor and greenhouse GroBucket gardens. After having central irrigation all summer, I wasn’t going back!

3 Likes

I saw a video that I think was on your kick starter release irrigation system that if each bucket had the float valve in it, it would be perfect for me. That way I could grow different strains in a tent without hand watering. My current irrigation systems have water bucket reservoirs on the outside of my tents that I could modify to your old system. I’m interested on the irrigation system you guys are working on now!

1 Like

I’ll keep you posted when I can get you one for you to try.

5 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like

Day 3 readings.

4 Likes

Fun fact since we are chatting about 5 gallon pails being different sizes…lol… Our Canadian gallon is bigger than the Americal gallon… an American gallon is 3.78544 liters and a Canadian gallon is 4.54609 another coincidence the Canadian gallon also works out to grams in a pound 454g… the only reason I went to 5 decimal places is because we fuel freighters at work and with 400,000 - 500,000 liters going on a boat that adds up fast in pricing inaccuracies…

7 Likes

Day 4 readings.

3 Likes