Growers: Does pistil burn matter, when trichomes are not damaged?

Hi,

Do you know what happened? The flower has touched the lamp?
Cannabis is a really strong plant the burned part will remained burned but the blooming will continue around.

Do you have a better quality picture, it’s look like the plant has some male flowers (looks like little bananas). If so at since this is only the beginning of the flowering: don’t keep it.

Cheers

3 Likes

@Atch As I mentioned the image is not mine. I try to take a high quality photo of my plants and post it here.
@johnnykind Can you please give more details on larger health problems that may occur following sad pistils?

2 Likes

I agree with Johnnykind here.

3 Likes

Burns matter because where the plant is damaged. Pathogens can more easily get a foot hold and spread. The dead plant material if left on. will most likely start to cause Rotting. This plant isn’t burnt the top cola bud In the picture was recently pollinated. The pistols have fulfilled there natural function. the Seeds R being born. no bad effects anticipated. Pistols shrivel and die after they transfer the male pollen

4 Likes

It could be anything from environment or pathogenic fungus to hydration and/or nutrients.

I agree with Johnny that it is an indicator to start looking for the problem. Start running soil tests, monitoring the microclimate around the localized area, try to determine a cause, make adjustments, and monitor improvement.

4 Likes

Did you recently spray? The micro-droplets of many sprayers will cause this as well. I cannot make the leap from burnt pistils to horribly decreased yields, however I am a fan of growing my plants 100% stress free, so if spraying this late into flower is an option, that is the road I would take. The pistils will matter more in breeding and pollination than they will in yields, but if you can decrease spraying and increase the use of beneficial pests after week 2 or 3 in flower, I would highly recommend.

6 Likes

The picture posted looks more like spray damage to the pistils (the physical pressure of the spray damages the pistil alone), as the leaves around the buds still look very healthy. In my experience, this does not cause a significant problem to plant health or a decrease in yield or final quality.

As mentioned in other comments, pistil desiccation can also occur due to a more systemic problem related to plant health, but you will see the stress in leaves before pistils begin to die off.

A picture of your actual plants would be required to help with your particular problem. A newer smart phone with or without a light filter generally takes good enough picture for remote diagnosis.

4 Likes

@Chandler @Atch I hope this photo tells more.

3 Likes

Pesticide spraying will definitely this too, as stated.

Have you sprayed, if so, what exactly?

Is this a single plant issue, or is it every plant?

3 Likes

In My Experience Sad looking pistils can be caused by a number of issues…
Wind burn, are your fans too close ?
Light burn , are your lights too close ?
Pest Management, / Foliar feeding Have you sprayed them with anything ?
PH Issues, When was the last time your meters were calibrated ?
How old is your PH up and down ? are you still using last years bottles ?
Nutrient lockout, what kind of nutes are you using ? are they old ? do you mix your own ? are your ratios correct, is your PPM, EC meter working correctly ? was it calibrated lately ?
have you added anything new to your nutrient mixture, mycos, beneficials, enzymes?
Also don’t overlook the obvious stuff, are your Temps, humidity, and Vapor Pressure all in check ?
Are your Co2 Levels to high ?
Could be a hundred other things, but check all of this stuff first… try making these changes one at a time so you will know what the problem was as soon as you fix it !

3 Likes

I would avoid the Harvest Gold Silica. Can’t flush out excess nutrients and the end user should be seriously concerned about health issues related to silicosis — SILICOSIS = CANCER!!!

Plus the Harvest Gold seriously impacted my final harvest weight. The results speak for themselves.

I would avoid this product.

Check out my Harvest Gold Silica Study to see more!

1 Like

Sprayed them with alkaline water. I think it could be spray but my question is that does it really matter is trichomes seem fine and not damaged?

2 Likes

Interesting Nick. I thought you supported the use of Harvest Gold Silica. But to say it could cause cancer- those are some pretty bold and negative statements you made.

I will look into this because EVERY test I’ve put HGS through it excelled.

I am pretty disappointed by your statements and your report. Just being honest- and real.

Sierra Neblina

The negative test results combined with the inability to fully flush it from a medium has led to this conclusion. The amorphous shape of the silica molecules in this product sticks around in the medium. You can see the residual sand with the naked eye. Is it still releasing the silica at the time of harvest? A potassium silicate can be easily flushed from the medium. I think we still need to see further testing before it can be called safe to put into ones’ body. The more I have learned about the potential long-term harm of silicosis the more I have come to wonder…is it really worth it?

Maybe there is value to a fiber bearing crop and this product. So I see where you might hold this position.

2 Likes

Nick,

Thank you for your response. Yes- the medium does have an impact - but here is the thing- I don’t use nutrients- therefore I do not need to flush my Hemp. I grow live soil and I find that growing that way - Harvest Gold Silica works Extrodinary! I am also a huge believer in organic live soil or no till growing, at that point I believe Harvest Gold Silica works the best.

Thank you,

Sierra Neblina

1 Like

You’re welcome. Right on! I concede that it probably has a positive impact on fiber-bearing crops like the ones that you grow! With no need to flush, this product is probably great for your crops! Indeed, silica can be used appropriately with ALL crops, just like everything we growers do and use: we must ustilize appropriately and with good and solid understanding of impact. I believe that is the intent of this thread.

1 Like

It depends on what stage of flowering the plant was in when the hairs got burned, and of course the reason for the burn. I have seen buds recover from mild burn when they are still fairly immature when it happens, they can grow out of it. Unless of course there is an ongoing condition that is causing the hairs to turn red…

3 Likes

looks like its been sprayed with something.

3 Likes

Right on johnnykind! Could be any or all of those things, but the main idea is that it indicates stress. In my grows we understand most of the potential stress factors and see pistol burn as an early sign of nutrient excess. Nutrient excess in the root zone makes it difficult for the plant to uptake water and results in “nutrient burn”. Nutrient burn usually expresses itself in newer growth first due to this water uptake issue. You might notice in the picture that there are some healthy pistils a little lower on the plant (white pistils). Flush if possible and lighten up on the inputs! Also, try to catch this much earlier at the first signs of pistil degradation as “burn” has already caused root zone damage.

3 Likes

Wow i am amazed with the answers ! Dont worry the pistils burn very easy , whatever you spray on them you will burn them , even some things very mild as potassium bicarbonate will burn pistils . As long the pesticides are not harmful and dont affect the smell and taste you are fine . Neem Oil , H2O2 , everything will burn them …

2 Likes