Growers: Does pistil burn matter, when trichomes are not damaged?

You’re welcome. Right on! I concede that it probably has a positive impact on fiber-bearing crops like the ones that you grow! With no need to flush, this product is probably great for your crops! Indeed, silica can be used appropriately with ALL crops, just like everything we growers do and use: we must ustilize appropriately and with good and solid understanding of impact. I believe that is the intent of this thread.

1 Like

It depends on what stage of flowering the plant was in when the hairs got burned, and of course the reason for the burn. I have seen buds recover from mild burn when they are still fairly immature when it happens, they can grow out of it. Unless of course there is an ongoing condition that is causing the hairs to turn red…

3 Likes

looks like its been sprayed with something.

3 Likes

Right on johnnykind! Could be any or all of those things, but the main idea is that it indicates stress. In my grows we understand most of the potential stress factors and see pistol burn as an early sign of nutrient excess. Nutrient excess in the root zone makes it difficult for the plant to uptake water and results in “nutrient burn”. Nutrient burn usually expresses itself in newer growth first due to this water uptake issue. You might notice in the picture that there are some healthy pistils a little lower on the plant (white pistils). Flush if possible and lighten up on the inputs! Also, try to catch this much earlier at the first signs of pistil degradation as “burn” has already caused root zone damage.

3 Likes

Wow i am amazed with the answers ! Dont worry the pistils burn very easy , whatever you spray on them you will burn them , even some things very mild as potassium bicarbonate will burn pistils . As long the pesticides are not harmful and dont affect the smell and taste you are fine . Neem Oil , H2O2 , everything will burn them …

2 Likes