Harvest weight prediction guidelines (anecdotal)

Has anyone heard the anecdotal theory that most dried harvests will be 30% of the wet-weight when dry. I recently harvested two regulars and one autoflower and am recording this info.

When finished, I’ll share the excel sheet. I’ve completed the one which is a Mango/Widow cross and this prediction is quite accurate.

Now, what would be the purpose of counting your eggs before they hatch? I don’t know, but it seemed neat to see the dry weight so close to the prediction.

More to come once drying is complete.

2 Likes

I have 3 years of track and trace data that confirms the 70% average water loss on whole outdoor plants. Beyond that, there is some cultivar specifics when it comes usable vs unusable dry matter yield. For example, one of my cultivars dumps (abscises) most of its water leaf by harvest so my usable yield is about 14% of whole wet plant weight at harvest, while another retains most of its leaves and is closer to 7%, but across the board, 70% is a good whole plant water weight estimate. On average, across 5 cultivars, I see 70% water, 15% DM stem, 5% DM water leaf, and 10% DM of usable flower. I dont trim, so I don’t have data on usable trim vs usable flower yield.

4 Likes

I always said dry herb was 1/5 of weight of fresh frozen which is more like 20%. No real data however, just an industry standard of sorts.

4 Likes

I think that is true for indoor and probably greenhouse due to lower stem weight on average, and maybe outdoor if you use a lot of support. I don’t use any support and just let the plant stems bulk up from the wind bending them to and fro.

4 Likes

Amazing feedback. Thanks Farmer_Dan !

2 Likes