Heavy Metal Arsenic

Had some buds tested and it came back with Arsenic at 154 ppb

I have never had anything test that high. All other heavy metals where Not-Detected.

So the soil was amended with some Kelp Meal - first time using.

Should I toss out that harvest?

3 Likes

Hi @poppa

Cannabis is a active accumulator of heavy metals, so its probably a good idea to get your soils/water tested first and see where the source is. I came across this article for arsenic levels accepted by federal law

“Last October, the ISWS Public Service Laboratory discovered that a homeowner south of Tolono had well water arsenic levels that tested 344 parts per billion for the outdoor water supply and 154 parts per billion for the indoor water supply, which runs through a water softener. Both levels far exceed the federal standard maximum of 10 parts per billion for drinking water.” Source

2 Likes

I guess the state regulates it must fall under 200 ppb for cannabis testing.

but to me that is high.

no pun intended.

2 Likes

That’s really high I personally wouldn’t smoke it but hopefully u can figure out what went wrong

1 Like

It is below state limits 200 ppb or .2 ppm - Unfortunately there is a big health difference on Organic Arsenic and Inorganic. Testing is not at the point they can feasibly split that out.

I suspect Kelp-Fish Bone Meal as the culprit.

2 Likes

here are a few products that have them in – Terpinator, Purinator, BloomBlast firts two have small amounts of arsnic

2 Likes

Look at how much kelp meal has in it.
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.07.28 PM

2 Likes

Sorry Poppa,
That is a misnomer…there is ABSOLUTELY no difference between inorganic/organic Arsenic. You are describing the source, not the metal! That’s why the labs test for heavy metals period…just saying let’s keep it factual!

2 Likes

Absolutely there is a difference. Inorganic Arsenic is much more troublesome to the homo sapien’s health. From the CDC.
Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 7.47.19 PM

1 Like

The article you state speaks of a amino acid conjugate of arsenic and indeed the levels of arsenobetaine may be quite low in seafood and non toxic. There is no mention of the LEVELS in your article.

Take your kelp meal as an example…an ORGANIC source to be sure!
The point I believe you need to take away is Arsenic, like lead or mercury, (regardless of source) is toxic to all animals if the concentration becomes high enough! I believe the source for that article was probably the USDA whom do the food testing. God help us if the CDC ever becomes involved in any food related opinions…next it will be the WHO!

2 Likes

Any contact with treated lumber , some contain arsenic

1 Like

Weed has arsenic in it. Period - Joe Homegrow shoves a lot of it in the dirt.

1 Like

Not sure if you are understanding the difference of organic/inorganic Arsenic compounds. Kelp indeed has high amounts INORGANIC Arsenic - pulled from the ocean floor,stone,rock,muck. It is not about the SOURCE being organic.

Fish-bone- meal has higher amounts of arsenic but it is the more harmless variety ORGANIC ARSENIC. I just think testing should distinguish between the two.

2 Likes

PT Lumber was banned from using Arsenic in 2003 - but beware of what landscape companies call “Bark Mulch” - most often it is 40% bark and 60 % died wood waste - which can be the old PT Lumber.

I never use bark mulch around anything I consume.

Another item to be cautious of is DOLOMITE LIME. Great for keeping PH level and adding Calcium and Magnesium…but it has a very good amount of arsenic (12-28 ppm) - it ain’t that good.

2 Likes

This explains it better than me Organic vs Inorganic arsenic
Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 3.47.23 PM

1 Like

You know your talking to California chemical engineers right?

1 Like

So, at least my part of county sells two different kinds of treated lumber. One for public one for agricultural use. My fence posts have these tags.

2 Likes

Imagine all the saw dust we’ve inhaled

2 Likes

This is why I use natural cedar to build raised beds.

There are good and bad employees in every field. Don’t be so impressed with Phd it’s just memorized education. Not real learning.

2 Likes