Help with different lights

Roi does not have to be a one year turn around.
For HID thats possible as degradation happens much faster. Quality passively cooled led will easily last 5yeara with only 10-20% degradation (the one year equivalent to HiD).
From what i hear light companies hve said.)
In terms of yield… theres no argument that Led can easily surpass in yield and quality.
Not to mention scalability of growing space.
Looking at real producers with real hardware.
Cost per gram will be the only thing keeping The doors open by selling a quality product for less than the competition.
Amortization of investments is easier than making up or instantly increasing quality end products/results.

3 Likes

Im not against a combo system either. As there can be bonus to both types of lighting. And nothing ever is the best if everything, the science will explain it. Watch the seminar wiTh greenhouse canada magazine on cannabis hid vs led coming up soon. :raised_hands:

4 Likes

I just pulled 2.1KG of dryed bud off 2 HLG 550s in a 5x9 tent
Im sure I could of gotten more had I possessed a larger space.

3 Likes

Show us some pics pf your harvest! You can always add to the thread Show off your bud photos

2 Likes

Hi Kerry,

a 5x9 equals 4m² the manufaturer of the 550v2 claims to provide an output of 1,178 µmol/s but more realistic will be something arround/below 1.000. (If the spectrum on the website is correct the efficiency will be around/below 2.0 µmol/J.)

If you also consider loses due to absorption in the walls of your tent you will be at 400 µmol/m²/s. That’s what we consider as low intensity lighting and therefore your 2g/watt sounds realistic…

But thats actually the problem with the g/Watt calculation because on the same area you could easily get 2.8KG of dryed bud with a higher level of lighting. If we calculate with 4 USD/g that would be a 3.200 USD higher revenue on the same area within the same time!

Furthermore If we calculate with 11 Cent/kWh in 2 month the electricity bill would have been only 80 USD higher for the double amount of light output. If we also double that because of higher costs for HVAC we talk about 160 USD + Fertilizer, etc…

So from a business perspective g/W is still not an appropriate metric to get an idea of the whole picture.

cheers

Christoph

5 Likes

Firstly that is not my experiance.

secondly thinly veiled insults as to my relationship to this manufacturer are one, not appreciated, two warranted or three , relative.

How do you know the absorption levels of the walls of my tent ?

Do you often make up assumptive “facts” to support your contentions?

Personally I dont care about your itemized costs or your price of a gram (more assumptions on your part)

Have you ever considered that some people may grow for the love of it and give their produce away to sick people for free?

Note to others

2 Likes