HID's or Quantum Boards?

New to indoor. Which type of light will give best quality flower and plant production. Thank you.

2 Likes

@bryanlosing. They will both produce quality flower.
Hid = less up front cost.Higher heat output.
QBs = higher cost but considerably lower operating cost. Less heat. Far more efficient use of electricity. :v:

2 Likes

I’ ve always heard that HIDs will give you a denser flower and QBs are just more efficient.

2 Likes

CMH all the way

1 Like

With HID types. Let’s just say bulb lights. You will need to keep extra bulbs and ballasts on hand at all times. The cost of these systems aren’t cheap either. But give WAAAY better flower.

1 Like

My heat output for my cmh is +7° most LEDs I used were way hotter.
I don’t agree with led being better. Not even close in my book

2 Likes

The HIDs are proven. I’m using a 1 k hps /mh mag ballast so know about the heat part. I’ve not grown with a QB but seen some very fine examples from other growers. I guess it’s whatever works best for each persons set up in the end.:v:

I’ve used pretty much every light on the market. QBs are good. But I’ll take bulbs every day

2 Likes

I heard the DE HID were good. What size area would a 1000w HID cover.

2 Likes

I use 315w CMH. They do 3x3.

2 Likes

A 1 k hid should be good for up to a 4x5 area.
Some folks will stretch it to 5x5.
That’s based on 50 w / sq ft.

1 Like

Do you have to change bulbs on DE HID’s for veg and flower?

1 Like

Go with cmh bro. Better wattage and coverage better spectrum etc. Cmh. Is better imho

2 Likes

@bryanlosing. Yes. You need 2 types of bulb. MH and HPS.
@MK3_Pharms has very valid points. And if I could swing the expense of another light it would be a CMH.

What are some of the better brands?

@MK3_Pharms i need to cover a 5x5 or 6x6 area

2 Likes

Sunsytem 315 or 630

1 Like

HID is very inefficient but they do throw out a lot of photons which produces a lot of biomass. LED has a better spectrum (whole spectrum with peaks in blue, green, yellow, orange, and red aka nanometer wavelengths compared to only orange and red of HID), are very efficient and they can produce more photons now compared to trash blue ole tech. HLG has a LED DE HID replacement coming out soon that will throw out more photons soon.
Whole spectrum grown flower is better imhe.
I haven’t tried cmh but I’ve heard it’s good but it’s not as efficient as LED.
LED is the future.

2 Likes

@sponge I’ve been looking into HLG, love the reviews. I just always heard that while LEDs are more efficient, HIDs are more powerful, giving better plant and flower development. That’s why I’m trying to figure out which light will give best production. Thank you for helping

@MK3_Pharms

Thanks man!