How am I doing?

Hi everyone
I decided to have a shot at growing and got some seeds from a friend.Obviously I don’t know if they are Female or Male but I decided to do this as a lesson in growing and I could do with some advice if you don’t mind criticizing .Im growing under fluorescent lights and my plant is two weeks old now.I feed it every night…just a bit…enough to keep the soil at worst damp. I have mixed Aqua Vega into the water and I would just like to know what you think of the progress so far please.

7 Likes

Looking good so far Gordy keep us posted

3 Likes

And welcome to the forum great place to be

2 Likes

Thanks Mouse.Im hoping more than being good at this. Thanks for your support though Any constructive criticism is fine you know,I need to learn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks good. Quick question! Is that the final pot you plan to use? Or do you plan to transplant? And if you plan to transplant, is that a ceramic or clay pot? You may have a hard time getting it out to switch to a bigger pot later if you are using a ceramic or clay pot. You will have to break the pot. I almost made that mistake my first grow. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Welcome gordy2209, I’ll follow along if you don’t mind?

Happy new year everyone :sunglasses:

2 Likes

yes…Please do. I can do a daily post and picture if that helps and gets me some advice.
And yes…Happy new year to all.

3 Likes

The pot is plastic and I am waiting to see how the plant gets on before I decide on buying a bigger pot to transplant but I may have to get my skates on as it seems to be doing well and looking healthy.I am hopeful and expect it will take off soon. I can cut the plastic pot if need be when I plan to re pot him/her/it…the gender neutral plant lol… I want to say her :slight_smile: please be a girl. I should be able to tell before I have to re pot yea? Thanks for that Katmwall

4 Likes

here are a couple of pics of the stem.Can someone tell me if it looks healthy and strong enough to support the plant because I think the leaves are outgrowing the stem and does anyone know of any good tips to toughen it up ?
Thanks in advance

4 Likes

Get a fan blowing some air over it, just so you see the leaves move. Not directly on it. The movement will strengthen your stem.

3 Likes

Looking good man. Welcome to the party!

1 Like

Thanks man I do have a fan but only run it when Im home in case anything happens so it does get fan treatment but probably not enough,Good advice though. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Keep that fan on with the lights. It can be off at ‘night’.

1 Like

Thanks Homey.
I am very negative about things because I worry a lot about my wee baby plant. Thats why Im on here. I do need to know if I am doing anything wrong or if the plant looks bad or in trouble so that I can rectify the mistakes so please feel free to criticize but your positive comment are welcome also as that gives me hope . :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Thank you for that

1 Like

I have the lights on 18 and 6 off…Does that sound right at this stage ?

4 Likes

Everything is looking good to me. What is that you have in the top of the pot? Sphagnum moss? Keep your light as close as possible to keep the plant from stretching, but not too close as to burn it. Your nutes and moisture look fine, good color and no brown tips. As mentioned put a fan on it so that it moves a little from the breeze this will bend the stem a little bit a thousand times a day making it strong. Also the addition of Silica in your nutrients will help to strengthen the entire plant.

2 Likes

That sounds exactly right. Watch this:

Pay attention to this guy and take notes and you will have the understanding to figure out any light position you want, for any kind of light. You will need a light meter.

3 Likes

Ok here is the truth and you probably aint gonna like it but that…is compost at the top of my pot and all the way to the bottom.The reason I did this?? I tried to grow with soil and all I could get without having to go miles( I live in the countryside and have no car ) is the soil on my doorstep and that soil turns out to be a nightmare to get the ph balance good.I tried everything and it just wouldn’t work for me so I decided,why the hell not try just the compost on its own??? Im sure the plant would thrive in it,so as an experiment (the whole thing is an experiment as its my actual first cannabis plant) I tried that and hey presto…Look at that baby go. I may have to get into a town at some stage and get good soil to mix with my compost but for now it appears to be working great so as they say,If it aint broke :slight_smile: :slight_smile: .

3 Likes

Homey I am watching that video as I talk on here but I have a question that may sound stupid to you guys but notwithstanding the fact that I am a total novice,I hope you will answer it if you can. Does the fan have to be directed at the young plant or a bit off to the side so that it doesn’t hit it too hard?? I think I worry a lot but I really don’t want to put too much pressure on the plant so I think ,off to the side and circulating around the small grow room I have made.Also ,I think the fan will bring the temperature down and I am afraid that it could have a negative impact.Is that stupid? is it the photons that the plant needs as well as heat? I think the heat is important but maybe you cam put my mind at rest. Thank you

1 Like

Gordy…got zero problem with compost, grow ALL my vegetables in it OUTSIDE in the spring/summer. I hope you don’t have a problem, but with compost comes with it bugs lol…unless of course you sterilized it. And if you did then you need to re-inoculate it with good microorganisms. And of course it depends on the composition of the compost as to if it will be a start to finish medium inside a pot inside. In general they tend to get to waterlogged and compacted to do good for the 4-6 months inside in a pot. But I wish you only the best of luck with it. If you have great compost and you can order some good coco coir and mix it together with pearlite you can probably go most of your grow without adding nutrients. Keep posting pics and I’ll keep watching for sure!!

2 Likes