How do I increase THC - home grower

Hi, I’m a home grower, indoor and some outdoor. Growing for 5-6 years and getting better every cycle.

The question: you’ve read this too, a strain claims a very high THC %, but says something about being grown by a professional or Master grower.

So does anyone have tips on getting the most THC out of a strain? Any lab tests to back up the claims? I’m getting into wanting to experiment now, nutes, lights, soil enhancements, etc… what worked for you?

1 Like

Just give them what they need, when they need it.

I’ve seen so many growers having issues with plants that have barely developed their first true leaves. A plant that’s struggling that early is never going to live a full and productive life. To handle seedlings and clones properly you need to have a plan, a place, and the skills to get it done. Humidity dome? Rooting hormone? Heating mat? Can you measure the air temperature and humidity to know that the plants are healthy and happy? After you harden them off, do you have an appropriate space to veg them with the right temperature and humidity? Is your fertilizer at the right strength with the right mix of nutrients at the right time in the right amounts?

Getting the most out of your plants is just giving them what they need when they need it. It’s a simple idea, but takes a bit of thought, effort, and equipment.

9 Likes

Going to living soil and understanding it helped me… and no I don’t test… I just have my wife’s opinion and that is better then any analytical test in my world…

10 Likes

To expand on the posts above me, giving them what they need when they need it, AND, when in flowering drop to the lowest humidity possible. Trichomes help reduce moisture loss, and if it’s really dry, they’ll produce more to keep the moisture in, however if you don’t have everything else right, this won’t make any difference. So every bit helps.

4 Likes

It’s funny to me. I always read growers talking about their 30 day veg or what ever. I’m not sure what they expect to harvest from that ( 1-4oz if lucky) usually for me a nice four month veg is a minimum for veg. First off within the first sixish weeks sex should be visible with almost no chance of pollenation. Secondly you really want secondary and tertiary growth. If you are a defoliater you need to wait six weeks before flip. You want NO STRESS during transition. It is stressfully enough. Most mistakes are made by the growers not the plants the less you do the better off you are. Opt for longer veg times to make sure they are ready for the stress of the flip

1 Like

Why are we only looking at THC numbers?

I thought I understood a discussion on getting THC number (genetics aside) could be dependant on where on the plant the specimen is collected from. It seemed, to me, that a single plant could produce a range of measurements within a single specimen of plant material. This can then change due to when harvest is done, not to mention certain arrangements, such as darkness for lengthy periods prior to harvest.

If it is only THC you aim for, why? Especially in relation to the entourage effect and how minor constituents can have a significant impact (in medical settings) which are not even known, or studied.

Would it not be better to look at the greater THC:CBD ratio and the major terpenes? Probably a little costly for the hobbyist if laboratory tested.

My limited understanding being CBD should be considered a psychoactive component as well due to its ability to moderate certain functions within the brain.

1 Like

1st its genetics the plant has to have the ability. I am a professional grower and I have one strain that will not get above 21% d9-THCA and another that hit 46.8%. d9-THCA. to do this we test the tissue, and sap of the plant as well as the water for the DWC and the water and coco for the coco rooms. this tells us what the plant lacks and allows us to tailor the feed to the specific strain needs. I also believe in optimal spectrum and intensity for your lighting.

4 Likes