How do you deal with spider mites?

Spider mites are a real nightmare! I will have to read the original article to respond to anything in it, yet, lol!

Being that I am pretty festidious about IPM and growing organic, I avoid pesticides. What I do use, is consumable and safe. For a spray to handle them when I see first signs, I break down rosemary to an oil, add Euchalypist oil, and lemongrass oil in water, then spray heavy on dark cycle. While handling them airborne or attatched to the plant, I use DE regularly, as we all know the root benefits, but as a soil top dressing, it is very mite unfriendly. About a 1/2". supplying water under that top layer is the trick, so I put them on a drip. Keeps the top layer dryer longer.

Continue daily with fogging. After 3 weeks, you are good to go!

Rosemary oil isnt some magical cure. Essentially its tear gas for spider mites. You want to drive them out and make the environment less hospitable. The DE is like razor blades for most insects, but what that silica does is strike the insects exoshell and pull the oil from the insect, thus damaging the insects natural defense. They do not like it in other words! Rosemary will dissapate after a short period of time, which is why its best to apply daily. Not to mention, science is finding that other plants benefit from the immunity propertyies of rosemary. Does it have a benefit on cannabis?I don’t know, but it would be interesting to find out! it does however drive mites insane. It doesnt harm the plant, and we all can smoke it, eat it, wear it, without concern. :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

Hey KrisGrows what rate do you mix your essential oils and your water? Thanks

3 Likes

I use half an ounce of each per 55 gallons!:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

I have been using SM-90 and it gets rid of the cob webs. It is currently off the market since they label it as a wetting agent and they have to get it certified as a pesticide so it will be another year before it is on their web site again.

2 Likes