How important is RO water?

I dont have a filter system. I use reclaimed irrigation water. The nutrients that are present are amazing and I dont want to use RO water really. I grow organicvegatables and fruit for years with this water here is some of my garden pics.

Any thoughts on the water I use?

5 Likes

Cannabis isn’t fruits and veggies.:grinning: You’d need to keep an eye on your ppms and watch out for waterborne pathogens that might be lurking in that reclaimed irrigation water.

RO is not necessary for growing. What is necessary is water that doesn’t have too many extraneous total dissolved solids & that has a fairly OK pH on its own. If your well/tap/reclaimed water fits that bill, you’re good. If the TDS starts off too high, you will most likely have issues down the line. Similarly, if your pH starts off on either extreme, you’re going to have a harder time. With the above things, you’ll end up fighting your medium to stay within safe parameters, which can be very frustrating.

5 Likes

What blackthumbbetty said. Test the nutrient content with a TDS meter and see what parameters your at. You maybe better off using tap water and letting it sit out for at least 24hrs with an air stone flowing in it. Depending if you have hard or soft water, ph level, minerals, farm lands can have pesticides in well water. So it’s something to read up on and check out if your reclaim isnt sufficient or to much of a pain in the rear. That cantelope looks delicious though. Makes me want to go plant some.

4 Likes

I have a tds + ppm meter on the way. Luckily thanks this forums help. I had no idea about those kinds of things until I stumbled upon a thread in here about those meters. I have been reading a few books also to familiarize myself more. Been out of the game since 98’

4 Likes

It is delicious! Check out some of my mellons.

Fairy on the right. And a mini on the left.

5 Likes

RO isn’t as important as knowing what is in your water to begin with. My municipality provides a water analysis that tells me how many PPM of each ion are in the water. The levels is of chlorine are acceptable, but the sodium levels are nearly too high, so I prefer to use RO.

4 Likes

They said they dont have any info. It’s not drinkable by humans or animals. I’ll test it the second I get meters in. I ph tested it with a ph up ph down kit and it was a little on green color side I’m not sure but the color on the chart showed 6.0-6.8 ph I had to add 4 drops to adjust it. I tried 5 drops per quart and it was too much so I added 1 drop to go the other way and it was just right. I have 2 white runts in that water with 1 drop of superthrive in the quart of water also along with clonex nutrient for clones and seedlings. Well these plants got that water 2x a day for 10 minutes solid along with garden veggies. And up until this point it’s been amazing water and still is. Just misted these girls 5 mins ago with that water.

Here’s the white runtz babies.

The weird one grew a crazy 2" tap root in 12hrs so I slit the cube and layed it in there. Its getting stronger already.

4 Likes

Hi. Nice veggies!! Way back when I first started out, I spent lots of time on the water thing. But over the years I realized that, for my situation, it’s not that big a deal. For the past 4 or 5 yrs, I’ve used plain old, not pH’d tap water in my plants. If there is any difference, I certainly wasn’t able to tell and it made my life MEGA more simple. LOL. There are actually micronutrients in tap water that are good for the plants. When getting all twisted in the brain about things you can do to make your grow better, never forget that these are WEEDS. It is their job to grow and they do it with a passion. I use a simple soil grow with no added chemicals other than mycorrhizae when potting up. Have averaged between 3 & 4 oz cured out per plant for years now and I’m pretty happy with that as far as per plant yield. Best of luck to you. TWW

1 Like

Ok i tested the ppm of the reclaimed water snd it was surprisingly low at 228 ppm.

1 Like

Preybird, i would stick to RO water only for soaking your seeds, seed plugs, and potentially for watering your seedlings until they can take nutrients. That is assuming your recaim has none of the issues brought forth by other people above :point_up:. Based on my limited experience, buying a gallon of RO from the grocery store section will last you many cycles of just using it for soaking seeds, etc.

2 Likes

Well so far ive been using only that water and the ppms are nice and low. My runtz strain is going crazy with this water and roots organics surge. Great stuff

2 Likes

Well im still usung this reclaimed water. The plants love it. I did have to use tap water over the winter and i used 400 gallons of water over the winter. So i would need about 1000 gallons st this lever to sustain this many plants. Good news is all the males are being cloned and chopped down.

1 Like

Why clone males… what ppm meter did you get

1 Like

I like to have them for later. Right now i have 5 galactic god males in different stages of growth. I will tissue culture them and grow them slowly for my library for later breeding projects. I will be freezing some pollen also. Then they will be removed completly. Except the cultures then i can get any of my strains out of my tubes anytime i want to grow that kind without the need for seeds or storing large mothers. I can store 16 plants in culture for ever 4"x 4" of space. Yes inches.

Some crappy one ot works but im looking to get a nice one. Any suggestions?

I like this one.

this is the one I have been thinking about … i have a ph from them and I love it
Apera Instruments Premium Series EC60 Waterproof Conductivity Pocket Tester Kit, ±1% F.S Accuracy, Easy Switch of EC/TDS/Salinity, Replaceable Probe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ESYG70K/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_WYS4EbP09WQQS

Makes since now that you say it lol