How many Veterans on the forum?

You sound just like Lion when he and I talk about our times. Vastly different with he serving in 1970 and myself in 2002. There are a great deal of commonalities between our experiences, his basic sounds a little worse, but it’s nothing like what tv made it out to be. Maybe it was just because he was airborne. “They didn’t expect airborne to live back then” he tells me. His description of the Army back then is like a rule infested party jumping from airplanes. I wish I had gone airborne or Sapper.

4 Likes

Different times indeed. I talked to my dad about it. He fought in WW2. Shot twice in 5 days (bad week). You couldn’t drag a war story of out him. I asked him why the WW2 guys didn’t have some of the issues that the Viet Nam guys did. He said “they did!”. One factor was that most of the WW2 guys came home on troop ships and we are sea for weeks. Some of them cried all the way home. During Viet Nam they might go from the jungle to San Francisco International in 18 hours. Sometimes to a reception that was less than enthusiastic and supportive. The sensory shock would have been something. My dad also said that sometimes WW2 vets would go nuts and do some crazy, felonious, even murderous shit. They would get arrested and punished but the papers (there was no TV) would report it but not focus on the troubles of a “shell shocked” Vet, just because. The times and “news” reporting have changed.

6 Likes

I know it changed me too.

Isn’t that funny? The more things change, the more things stay the same.

(All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again.)

Coming home (and feeling bat-shit crazy at home) can make you feel like you don’t even welcome yourself home.
… … …

I want anyone who reads this to know that if you’re feeling crazy, it’s okay to feel the way you do.
I hope you talk to someone who’ll listen to you and hear what you have to say.
It can be hard to ask for help. There are a lot more people willing to listen than you think.

8 Likes

Also the way the country (USA) treated us (vietnam vets) you all know the country didn’t like us vietnam bet because we were babies killers, I have gottn spit on when I came back to this country --Guess that was it’s thanks to me “spit in my face” Thanks !!! also Jane Fonda sure didn’t help things with her anti-war shit --better stop now getting very up-set _______________________

8 Likes

Amen @OlyBoy Takes courage to ask for help but do it.

6 Likes

US Navy 1988-1995. Hospital Corpsman. Desert Shield/Storm. Ooh Rah

10 Likes

Scary stats in this video. Respect to the people served and forgotten.

8 Likes

Navy vet here, 09-10 med discharge E5 CS Squid!

8 Likes

Hey all
Also new to the growers network.
USAF 81-85
Assistant crew chief on B52g
Any other Sac or 43152 here
Lee

8 Likes

I’m back!

7 Likes

Welcome back. Time to fight.

5 Likes

always ready for a fight man.

5 Likes

This is a growers forum, we drop buds and not bombs, but since Russian crossed the border into Ukraine. we need to fight or be on defense.

8 Likes

respect brother. and prayers. “all that is needed for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing” or something to that effect.

7 Likes

i live close to Offut, actually.

5 Likes

95th engineers 65th engineer Battalion out of Schoefield Barracks Hawaii 2007- 2011 exit with a Medical- Honorable Discharge. Lost my Best Friend And Battle Buddy In 2018 memorial day weekend to the demons in his head(suicide due to ptsd) So that is when I started sinking all my energy into finding SOMETHING else for our VETS than PILLS! Much Love Happy Growing!~ Hope to See some of you soon AT the #BlackSheepFarm ~ Rob

7 Likes

Happy to have you here and on our side brother

7 Likes

Shell shock is different then ptsd. They still teach about shell shock. Thats when you freeze up and stop being able to function like walk and speak. When someone is so scared or just spent they sit there motionless unable to move. Ptsd is post traumatic stress disorder and thats the left over effects from a tramatic event.
I also wanted to say….I feel it is because of how horrible our vietnam veterans where treated is what I think the reason we have the VA to help veterans now. When the vietnam age guys got involved with the Va and basicaly said you wont eo this to our children and future gens, it made our government have to be better for our vets. Its jot perfect, but its something.
So I say to you good sir, Thank you. Thank you for your sacrifices. Because of people like you I was able to have a disability program to help me when I got out. I couldn’t function properly, hell I couldnt even walk normal.

8 Likes

Glad to see you post brother! How are you?

5 Likes

You know, I do miss some of the stuff like riding on those out pods of the little birds. Hahaha
I have a degree in aviation maintenance and an faa airframe and powerplant license. Yet, I ditched aviation to started growing herb instead. 22 years later……hahahahahaha still growing herb! How you been big guy?

7 Likes