How much ventilation is enough?

my grow room is 5 x 8 with 8’ ceiling. I have a 6" inline fan rated at 400 cfm (on high) with a 6" filtered intake with a booster fan and a 14"x 14" filtered vent in the door.

I want to ventilated enough to get fresh air in but I lose humidity and heat every time it runs. I am currently running my ventilation system on medium for 3 minutes every hour. Is that enough?

I tried to get creative and decided to smoke a joint in my grow room and see how long it took to clear all the smoke. Unfortunately I got really stoned and forgot why I was smoking in the room…

on a related topic. My current fan is old and noisy. Anyone care to recommend a replacement?

3 Likes

The infinity cloudline fans are awesome if rather expensive some have controllers you can set to only run at certain humidity and temp ranges

2 Likes

@greensnek Thanks that Cloudline sure looks like a nice one and Christmas is right around the corner. (note to self… get present for my lovely bride - probably not a 6" inline fan)

to the other question… is there a rule of thumb like “you should cycle 80% of the air in the room 4 times a day” or “100% of the air every 24 hours”? I can do the math on what the fan pumps out against the size of the room but it gets messy cause it doesn’t just extract the “old” air; it gets mixed with the “new” air coming in. I may be over thinking this…

1 Like

I have one I purchased many, many moons ago, it isn’t a fancy computer controlled unit but it is a very good one. I never used it, it was just too big for my room, soon as I turned it on I knew it was way too much. It maybe ran 1 minute. The brand is Badd Ass Blower lol It’s a 500 CFM. 6" in/out

If you or anyone else has any interest make me an offer, the hanging brackets etc are still sealed in the original bags and the owners manual too, still have the original box as well.

PM me if interested.

1 Like

I think in general you want to turn over the air once an hour calculate your total CF in room.

2 Likes

Could have gotten a cheap controller low… med… high and dialed it down a tad…:grimacing:

1 Like

I use this temp controller for intakes, I also have inkbird a but never used them tried these they worked good so never used the inkbirds guess there now back ups lol I bring cooler air in winter only from attic and there filtered ofcourse and the Govee blue tooth I just started using those in veg and flower room I loves those they actually work :grimacing: and transmit to house from grow building which is about 120 ‘ away and through block walls so works great and tells you what temps and Rh are and shows you a graph on where your temps and Rh have been… Just a thought to you. Oh and get stoned “AFTER” your testing hahahahah! You kill me me bruh!

2 Likes

Yeah…your right…I actually forgot i had it, it has been in a pile of stuff in the basement for 20+ years, it is brand new never used 20 years old lol. I have the infinity 6 inch with controller. It has a pretty high CFm for a 6 inch blower if anyone needs it. It is built like a tank.

2 Likes

My experience is I run a 6 in in a 4x6 room and thinking of getting an 8in with higher cfm and a speed control. The current one works but no room to adjust as I run it full power even with speed control.

Sorry just read again was thinking exhaust at first but in my whole setup I put a 4 in inline fan to bring in fresh air. A little fresh air goes along ways

1 Like

Fresh air is important… But it doesn’t have to be a ton of fresh air… Just a light breeze. If the humidity is still a problem, I suggest a humidifier or a dehumidifier! :facepunch:t3::facepunch:t3:

2 Likes