How to set up an indoor room with high humidity outside

high to all at growers network .
my name is ben . thank you for allowing me onto this forum and apologies in advance if i break any etiquette rules early in my membership :blush:

i use to do a grow in the uk about for a few years ( 2005-2012 ) in my cupboard which was about 2m x 2m
. i had 2 600w in there .

i am now in thailand and want to start to do a room again but i am unsure how to control the humidity as it can go as high as 80% or more here .

i will have an air con unit running and a dehumidifier , an extraction fan and an inlet . would anyone have any advice as to how i should have these running . do i just have them all on 24hours ?

what i donā€™t know how to deal with is the fresh air coming into the room will be 70% + humidity . the air con and dehumidifier will reduce the RH% but the fresh air will raise it ( i think )

i would like to grow GG4 or a gelato strain but i may have to do a mold resistance strain if needs be

iā€™d appreciate any advice .

thanks very much for reading

4 Likes

Hi @ben3131

Welcome to GN, our rules are very relaxed and you have broken none at all. So, you living the dream in Thailand, legal there now.

Humidity must be a huge issue as its so tropical. Air flow is your biggest solution to humidity in a grow room. You want fans keeping all that air moving not just inside and out but also under the canopy and above. So if you get your air flow right, you should not have a problem with humidity especially since you have a dehumidifier.

You will need to dial in all your air flow units in to make it work for you. Lucky now, vegging plants enjoy high humidity, up to 70%, but you want to try and keep it lower. But RH might be an issue during flowering if you dont work something out as you want it between 50 - 60%. What is the model of your dehumidifier?

3 Likes

hi @chrisj , thanks very much for taking the time to reply to me

life is good here thanks, lovely weather although itā€™s a bit rainy at the moment, amazing food , ohh and legal weed :slight_smile:
there are a lot of places selling weed now, it is very expensive, between Ā£8 - Ā£20 a gram in some shops , but a lot cheaper via line ( similar to whatsapp ) , about Ā£5 -Ā£7 i think

yes humidity is the major issue , i havenā€™t purchased the dehumidifier yet , or most of the other stuff but will be doing so in the next few days . the room is 3m x 3m and i will probably be using 2 Mars Hydro FC4800 if my budget can stretch that far . do you have any tips on what i should look for in a dehumidifier please chris ?

2 Likes

Wow didnā€™t know weed was now legal in Thilandā€¦some of the Asian countries used to be damn near the death penalty for any kind of drug. Fantastic.

My advise would be to simply AC your house, and while it will raise your utility bill, I just vent into my basement and let the house AC dehumidify the air that then gets sucked back into the tent. That may or may not work for you, but here in MO in the USA it is extremely humid in the summertime. 80% RH is pretty normal in MO June through Sept.

Marty

3 Likes

That is a good suggestion @sssportsmfg , if it makes sense/cents that might be your best option to regulate the temps well. You must also remember, whatever you grow in your tent, you will need to dry in low RH room too.

Another option you might have is to buy a decent dehumidifier like the one below, a bit of overkill for a 3x3m tent but can also be used for drying purposes:

2 Likes

@sssportsmfg and @chrisj thanks guys for the help .

they legalised it 2 days before i came , what a result lol . they released all prisoners , wiped there records and even gave back money and drugs to those who were arrested in the previous 3-6 months . they want it used for medicinal only though . no smoking in public, no selling to under 20s or pregnant women. thatā€™s the rules now, things might change in the future

i do have air con in each room , should i use the AC directly in the grow room or vent it in from a different room ?

2 Likes

That is a serious bonus, heading to a place where you could have been hung upside down for years for a joint, to handing out plants and expunging criminal records. Wow.

Not sure your setup or budget, but like @sssportsmfg , airconning your house/flat the environment could be the best bet. Wether its just your grow room area or your entire flat is a clever idea. Is it a feasible idea for you?

2 Likes

@chrisj yeah amazing, the thai government were giving out plants for people to grow when they first legalized it . just the thai strains though , of which you can buy 1 kilo ( they call it brick weed , heavily compressed ) for about Ā£90 - Ā£100 hahaha

the grow room i will be using is a bedroom and the room next door is a pretty large open kitchen living room with all 3 bedrooms off of it . i could AC one of the bedrooms and extract it from there into the grow room. i could do the living room/kitchen but it might be a bit expensive as itā€™s about 3 times the size of a bedroom , but if it is the better option i might just do that . i can extract the hot air straight out the window .

2 Likes

Great to hear you starting to make a plan. I like the idea of air-conditioning a room or two, means you can also have space for clones, and a place to dry your harvest.

DOnt forget cannabis gives off good pungent odors during flowering time. So before you expel the hot air out the flat you might want to neutralize the smell using a carbon filter.

Have you started planning and budgeting for your home grow?

1 Like

yeah i have a pretty long list of things i need to get @chrisj . the more i read the longer the list gets :slight_smile: .
i think i will use a filter as the neighbours are only about 10 feet away i donā€™t want to piss them off .

in the uk i use to have a reservoir , i canā€™t even remember what we called it , but it was like a big plastic bath but without the plug hole . i use to have a pump in that that would feed the plants on a drip system . i havent seen the ā€œbathā€ but i can find the other stuff here in thailand . what method do people use now to automatically feed the plants ?

i could possibly do it by hand every day or when water is neede , but there will be no doubt a couple of days when i will be away and would like a back up just in case .

i think for lights , fans , AC , dehumidifier , pots, soil , nutes , etc i have a budget of about Ā£2,000 . i would like to set it up with a view to possibly adding one more light in the future if the space can handle it .

can i also ask while i remember, i use to always use canna coco nutrients in the uk but they are very hard to find in Thailand . the only ones i can find that i recognize are general hydroponics and fox farm . there is also advanced nutrients ( the one with the gorilla on the front ) . are they all as good as each other ?

2 Likes

Yepā€¦cause de-humidifiers are nothing more than mini AC units. The air is passed over a cold coil and it extracts the moisture out of it. Might as well get some AC outta the deal !!

Marty

3 Likes

Good idea not to piss neighbours off so early on during legalization, next thing you find out they doing the same thing as you!!!

Sounds like you had a Deep water culture ( DWC ) setup, and hydroponics could be a good way to go if you have the previous experience and the setup is much less in the long run. Plus you are in a flat you said, so lugging soil and compost up stairs could be a nightmare.

Yes, planning is key for you. You need a list of things you must get to have a successful setup, so write down a budget, below is a complete setup in your price range, and a bit bigger 4x4. you might even be able to import the entire setup via the States.

You have a great selection of nutrients there, you cant go wrong.

2 Likes

thanks very much @sssportsmfg and @chrisj . lots to do . iā€™ll keep you guys updated as to how iā€™m getting along . cheers for all your help

3 Likes

hi @chrisj and @sssportsmfg , i hope you guys are well and happy

i was looking to find a strain that has high mold resistance , a fairly quick flowering time of 8-10 weeks and a reasonable yield and pretty easy to grow ( my confidence is low at the moment ) . i may only be in thailand for 4 months so time is pretty important . i landed on super skunk seeds. what do you think about that strain .

2 Likes

hey Ben

Check out our seed dashboard:

There are quick flowering plants and high yield plant links to good banks.

From a point of mold resistant strains, you would look at sativa leaning hybrids like poisons, hazeā€™s etc.

1 Like

as always , thank you very much @chrisj

1 Like