Insect ID - Can anyone tell me what this is?

Could be right. The Proboscus in the second set of photos doesn’t look quite right for lace wings, but the antenna could be correct. The first molt picture looks more like a case from a ladybird than a aphid lion.

Could we be looking at more than one insect?

From the voices in my head
Ethan

1 Like

I’m quite positive we’re looking at more than one insect. The morphology for the larvae in the photos is quite different – one set looks like lacewing larvae (I agree with @tamarindotradingco ), another looks like ladybug larvae, and another looks like a hopper larvae.

2 Likes

Sticky Cards are needed! No more insect getting away without identifying!

We also use to use a jar aspiration device to collect small insects for identification or collection for use. We collected lots of wild Orius minutus, instead of buying them for 25 cents each. We would collect a cooler full of thistle flowers on ice. Shake the heads into a white container and aspirate, the pirate bugs into jars. I can post how to make your own.

2 Likes

Thank you all for helping me ID all these bugs. We are all getting betting at telling the helpful from the pest.

Here is a new one. I think it may be a ladybug larvae as well. I noticed some oblong cream colored eggs on this plant as too. They are a bit larger than spider mite eggs.

4 Likes

Do you have pictures of the eggs you think you see? Ladybugs are generally in clusters and the individual eggs are the size of an immature aphid. If it is a single egg on a stalk, about the size of a biggish mite more likely lacewing.

You should think about IPM sticky cards. Yellow and Blue for out door. You check them daily and count them weekly. With an iPhone you could photograph them daily with geotagging.

2 Likes

Chris,
Try this —> https://www.reddit.com/r/whatsthisbug/ They are pretty good at identifying bugs. Make sure you tell them you are in N.W. Washington.
Regards,
Dennis

4 Likes

Spring tail?

2 Likes

hemp russit mites and almost looks like you got a few issues there though… heh 2-3 bugs almost …unless you got some kind of bug breeding experiment going on haha.