The interesting thing about aeroponics is that it’s very efficient and powerful for growing. But it’s also one of the more finicky methods of growing, from my understanding:
- Water needs to as pure as possible to prevent nozzles from clogging due to hard water buildup. This also means nutrient injection is somewhat finicky.
- Any power outages are exceedingly dangerous (just like with NFT).
- All the equipment needs tight tolerances to keep the system in order.
That said, there are some unique benefits to it:
- Plants grown aeroponically don’t suffer transplant shock.
- It’s a useful method for experimenting with subterranean herbivores (like fungus gnats)
- Plants can be grown in zero gravity (space!) with this method.
I’ve seen a cool aeroponics grow. The bud turned out great!
Was it this company or a different grow operation?
This was a small, personal grow.
I’d love to see it on a massive scale.
Maintenance might be a nightmare on a very large scale. But who knows! I don’t think it’s been tried.