Is CBD Psychoactive? Yes and No

Interesting debate on how to refer to the effects of CBD - they come to the conclusion that “non-intoxicating” would be a better designation.

3 Likes

If you know the science of nutrition or brain behavior, the term “psychoactive” is a bit of a misnomer. Everything you eat or drink affects your brain in some way, shape, or form, even water. That’s why the FDA is the “Food and Drug” Administration.

Even the bacteria in your gut can affect your moods and feelings.

3 Likes

CBD does not seem to be psychoactive for most.

There are some exceptions though. Our current strain we are running is about a 36:1 ratio. We feel that there is very little high with anything over a 4:1 ratio. However, a small percentage of the population has a unique liver metabolism system in with they feel buzzed from taking CBD dominant oils. These people also have a low tolerance to alcohol. These people can feel a buzz from CBD dominant oil when taking under 2 mg of CBD orally. However, they will not get a buzz from vaping it as it will not be processed in the liver from that means of consumption.

I am well versed in all cannabinoids and terpenes, however, I do specialize in CBD. Please let me know if you have any question.

6 Likes

For an individual who is more sensitive to the psychoactive effect. Like me. What verities are more suitable for me as a consumer and how do you read the labels.

I can grow anything. But, I need some education on the consumer side.

From the voices in my head
Ethan

1 Like

That’s very interesting - I hadn’t heard of people being more sensitive to CBD before. It would be interesting to track down the genes responsible. 23andme.com is doing some research along those lines using surveys of their membership that they then correlate with genetic markers in common.

4 Likes

For any home growers, ACDC is a great clone only strain that is easy to find. ACDC typically runs 20:1 (19% CBD: .9% THC) if there isn’t too much genetic drift. This should not cause any high in 98+% of people.

I’m not sure exactly what you are asking about “how do you read labels”.

Our company really tries to educate the consumer as there is so much regurgitated information on the net that is wrong. Also, the industry is dominated by “junk” so that is another reason why much of the info is wrong as well.

You may want to check out our website: www.4cornerscannabis.com

We have some great info on there.

We also run a facebook page called “Cannabis Oil Success Stories CBD”. In this group, I have written up a good section in the pinned post.

And if you have any questions, then please let me know and I will steer you in the right direction.

4 Likes

I would be very interested the genetics, because there is a big difference within my own family. My brother who lives in Seattle and my son are not sensitive. But, my eldest brother and I are sensitive. My father was sensitive. But, my mother and her father where not sensitive.

So when I go to legal states I notice I have to be cautious, with my consumption. Cannabis of my youth is not the same as today’s cultivars.

When we do some genetic testing we are going to do one specifically for people of Jewish anciestory. We want to look at mitacondreal (sp?) DNA and a special male markers.

23andMe is part of a group I have issues with.

Thank you

2 Likes

I will do this! I want science based information.

3 Likes

I just had to pull the flower picture off the homepage along with two pages as the credit card processors don’t understand what we do.

Here are the two links I had to pull off that are really good:

https://4cornerscannabis.com/hemp-vs-marijuana/

https://4cornerscannabis.com/science-stuff/

2 Likes

The genes are well known in the pharmaceutical World. I can’t remember the term off the top of my head though. It is most common in Native Americans, Asians, etc.

Communication with clients is definitely important.

We are pretty well known in many communities as we are always trying to help. Also answering over 3,000 emails in the last 2 years helps as well. We are total cannabis nerds!

3 Likes

Very cool!

3 Likes

Do you know of any peer reviewed article on these topics? Or the organic chemistry involved with the metabolism? Sorry horticulture/ Science geek. Check my biography.

2 Likes

Yeah I think that personalized medicine based on genetic testing will be a big part of the future. I’ve personally found 23andMe to be helpful in looking at my own medical issues, but I do understand there’s some controversy over some of the things they are doing. They used to offer you a report on whether you have the breast cancer and huntington’s genes, although I believe they stopped doing that. Best to have a doctor on hand if you’re going to find out those results. I do like their reports on what the likelihood of whether a particular medication will be more or less likely to be effective based on your genetic makeup. They base that report on both peer-reviewed studies as well as member surveys, although obviously the latter is less reliable info.

2 Likes

I used to meet with compounding pharmacists on a regular basis. And this issue came up a few times so I started asking about it. That’s the only reason I know about this phenomenon.

I think it may be caused by what is in the link below:

3 Likes

Thank you! This may be bigger than you think! There is a link between genetic kidney stone (Cacium oxalate) makers and fat metabolism on the same enzyme. The study is based on Ashkenazi Jews, I think it is in the American journal of urology. I think Fred Choe was the primary investigator.

3 Likes

Very cool! If you have some links, then I’ll check them out.

1 Like

I will have to look, not finding the exact paper I am looking for may have to have my uncle send it to me but here are some others.

Here is a quick look.

The first one you are going to have to directly google Wiley tracks session Id.

Genome-Wide Analysis of Genes Related to Kidney Stone Formation and Elimination in the Calcium Oxalate Nephrolithiasis
Model Mouse: Detection of Stone-Preventive Factors and Involvement of Macrophage Activity

[Genome-Wide Analysis of Genes Related to Kidney Stone Formation and Elimination in the Calcium Oxalate Nephrolithiasis
Model Mouse: Detection of Stone-Preventive Factors and Involvement of Macrophage Activity]
(http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1359/jbmr.081245/asset/5650240517_ftp.pdf;jsessionid=888307778EC9B12C5C1B6FD6475368E4.f01t03?v=1&t=j5lk9l6y&s=76cfaa7b1a5f91c3564052c049ecb97e78b9513a)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3139422/

http://hrcak.srce.hr/file/164844

Look in the discussion section.

Pyridoxamine lowers kidney crystals in experimental hyperoxaluria: A potential therapy for primary hyperoxaluria

1 Like

36:1 ??? what strain you are using? Is it registered in some seed/plant catalogue ?

2 Likes

As CBD can influence change of the mood, it definitely psychoactive, but not intoxicating like alcohol or THC

2 Likes

I believe most compounds to have an impact on brain activity and chemistry. In that sense CBD is psychoactive and so would be sugar [both naturally recognized by the body]. Non intoxicating would be a good definition [but I do not go out of my way to describe sugar in that manner] however labeling CBD psychoactive would likely cause public conscious issues due to the stigma of the word [in turn easily abused by regulatory evil].

2 Likes