Light suggestion please

Hi,
I’m looking to get a light for my 4x2x6 grow tent. I have been looking at a lot of lights but I can’t seem to make up my mind. Some lights I have been looking at are the Mars hydro sp 250 and raymatix hamr as well as many more. Your feed back and suggestions are much appreciated.

Also, this will be my first grow… im still looking at what media I want to use but I think I’m going to go with fox farms with a small amount of coco mixed in and for nuts I’m looking at Veg + bloom.
Thanks!

1 Like

Build one…they aren’t difficult and you can be assured of the parts as there are smart people on here… and if on piece breaks you just replace it…be it a strip, a COB or even a drive… and you don’t need to know how to solder… use WEGO connectors and electrical tape…

As far as nutes I am living soil outdoors but indoors through the winter I am a Botanicare guy have been for 5 years… my switch to Jacks 123 when I run out… I have buddies using it and it does work well… tried RAW nutes for 3 weeks then threw it all out and went back to Botanicare…

@Ladithief Could you recommend anything? or a trustworthy link? Thanks so much!

I can attempt to tag in the guy that has given me all my parts lists for my builds which is 3 of them… how much is your budget… I ask because there are great factory build out there… I have a 12"x 30" light build I love… Spider Farmer are good if they make them that small…and if you want to knock it out of the park FOHSE ad the best lights by far when I was in Vegas… but they are $$$ and might not make anything that small… so basically a build is your strips and/or COB and a driver… you should only need one driver for something that small and some heat sinks… the drivers are always HLG and come from Digi key as well as the strips (not sure if they sell COBs I don’t use them) and the sinks come from Heat Sink USA and they can custom extrude them at a really good price at any size…bosth of these have really fast shipping

So the technology changes so fast and my go to guy is @dbrn32… he might weigh in he might not… How fast do you need it… both suppliers ship fast… if I have to I can text him but I am not sure how busy he is…

1 Like

Hi Kyle

Welcome to GN. A good place to shop online and in the USA is Growershouse.com. You might get away with a 150w HPS light for a small tent or look at their range of other HPS’s, maybe consider their LED range. But give them a go, great company, prices and service.

https://growershouse.com/lights

4 Likes

Growers house is where i got my 1st light. I went with a dimmable balast. That way i can turn it up and down as i needed. I have 6 drivers and 7 ballast. I have t5, t5 full spec led. Qb, cobs. You can buy a kit and learn to build it. Its very easy and like @chrisj said the best prices and equipment are sold by growers house. And i really like the fact that all the equipment they sell has been staff tested. So you can assure a good quality product.

4 Likes

If you don’t mind assembling a kit, this is what you want

You can follow staff recommendations and get from growershouse so they get their cut if you want, but they are out of stock right now. Link I put above is taking pre orders, which means they are expecting any day. You can check directly from horticulture lighting group too, if they have it, discount code DUDE will save you 10% .Where you buy makes no difference to me, just passing along the info I have.

It’s an excellent light for 2x4. Puts you on cutting edge of led tech without breaking bank, and is sized to hit proper DLI for your space.

1 Like

i wouldn’t recommend a mars hydro (or you can choose some else - https://wildproofgear.com/best-rechargeable-camping-lantern/). quantum boards or similar PCB or COB leds will provide the most lumens for the least wattage and thus producing the least heat. quantum boards are excellent for the price but you could also get PCBs with the same diodes for cheaper from other manufacturers in china or i know someone selling strips with LM561C diodes from USA… DIY is your cheapest option and they are extremely easy to put together.

@daveasd welcome!
Do you have an example of the lights you made using these diodes? Your link is a camping light? So im confused on what you mean? And this is a 2yr old thread? Im going to archive it. Use the seach magnifying glass in the right top corner and search there.